Hesco L210 Comfort Level

Just how comfortable or uncomfortable are the Hesco L210 plates (or any other Hesco single curve)?

I've been leaning towards the At Armor STOP plates since they seem to be a good option in regards to protection, thickness, and price, as compared to other plates in the same category, but I'm still considering the L210's due to their price and protection rating. However, I don't have any experience with single curve and am wondering how much of a difference they would be as far as comfort goes. I also don't have any experience with the "shooter's cut" so if anyone has any experience with either of these plates I would appreciate any advice, and if you've worn either one, how long did you wear them? Thanks

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I’ve worn both single and multi curve extensively since 1997. I would not say that single curve is uncomfortable, it may just be more noticeable. Much of it will be related to the carrier/vest. In some rigs you may not notice the difference due to construction and padding. In others the standoff from your body created at the top of the plates or depending on your body shape possibly the bottom edges of the plate with be noticeable. There may be extra bulk in those areas but it may not be uncomfortable necessarily. It’s probably not helpful but there are a lot of variables at play here.

That makes sense and thank you for the response. My setup has minimal padding and is pretty low profile so that's something I'll consider. Thanks again.

patriot_man

Your body type will definitely play a role as well. Single curve plates really jut out above the chest for me.

If you can save up for it, the U210's are awesome. 3.9lbs, multi curve. I am fairly barrel chested / stocky (plus 18 years of strength training), so single curved plates for my personally have not worked well. On thinner torsoed persons, they work much better, so I would take into account your body type / shape.

shoobe01

Established
Don't have the Hescos specifically myself but have had a few profiles and help others fit things also. +1 to the above but also: activity level/type.

You can wear single curves and be pretty happy if you adjust it out a bit, but if you are going to move a lot like this, then it gets uncomfortable from bashing you (patriot_man's fit can hit you in the chin even!) and fatiguing as all wobbly things you wear do. Tighten it up and (most body shapes) will find it doesn't match their curves and again is poking you, restricting breathing, restricting range of motion, etc.

But LOTS of armor is worn by people who stand post, only need it briefly in an emergency so can tough out the short time involved, walk around but rarely run or get in fights or carry loads or anything, etc. They get by fine with single curve, and even can adjust to get proper coverage. There I am happy to see the money go to better ballistic protection than comfortable but not-protective, as too many have done wearing soft armor in rifle-threat areas.

Think hard (and try stuff if you can) as maybe you forgot some needs. Aircrew for example hate a lot of their armor as it restricts movement. Yes, plenty of controls are a reach, and a really ill fitting plate can make your arm numb from pushing against it the entire flight. Even if your job seems boring, check: can you type on the MDT or reach the radio or open the vault door or... whatever it is you do?

Also often can mitigate with layers between the armor and body, with changes in rest cycles or switching up jobs more often, etc.

Of course, if you are going to exercise in your armor to get used to it or add weight: that counts as "activity level" and you may want to pony up for the multicurve then.

Grizzly

What are you planning to do in plates and how long are you going to do it? Like others have alluded to the difference in how a single curve feels for 2-4 hours at a training class where you can take if off occasionally vs say sitting in a dodge charger for 12 hours is very different. Having a multi curve back plate when sitting a lot is a big win in my opinion. The single curves can really dig into the upper back if they are between you and a set. Like wise if you are reaching for things in front of you a lot (air plane controls, radio mic, etc) a shooters cut is a nice touch for arm mobility.