Herniated Lumbar Disc

Jay Sapiens

I've been struggling with a herniated lumbar disc for about six years. In that time I've gotten weaker and fatter because mobility limitations and consistent pain, coupled with doctor recommendations of avoiding strenuous activity have limited my ability to work out properly. I'm hoping someone else has had different advice to good effect. Thus far I have undergone a single steroid injection and a subsequent nerve block injection with little relief. My doctor has said the next step is nerve ablation but I am hoping to avoid that since I am in my 40's and concerned about future function. I still have to work and wear my gear, but luckily I have admin that is okay with outer carriers so I can doff it in the office.

Has anyone found a strength and mobility regimen or a source for information that was helpful to them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whiskey

Amateur
I'm sorry man, I know that sucks. I think I must have gotten lucky with mine, its been 9 months and I'm mostly back to normal now. Have you been to physical therapy? That made the biggest impact on my improvement. Lots of stretching and focus on building hip and core strength.

Jay Sapiens

I'm in a more remote area and the average age is dead. My PT was very geared toward elderly patients so it was all very conservative. That's why I was hoping for a good sports/work-related therapy regimen to pull from.

BenNL

The problem with herniated disc's and PT is, it is not a universal problem so there is no universal solution. A good physiotherapist may be able to help you, since they can look at and advise on your exact issue.

Mr Hardy

Back Mechanic by Stewart McGill was the best thing I have ever done for my back injury. A great way to educate yourself on the topic. I’ve given out several of those books to friends and family members as gifts.