Help me select a .308 AR

As the thread title implies, I want a .308 AR pattern rifle. what are the highs and lows. where is the absolute best value for my money, and what sshould be avoided. telling you now, it is going to get a strike eagle for optics. primary purpose will be deer, coyote, the (fingers crossed) end of the world. so keep that in mind. I was thinking a 16 inch barrel(unless the brain trust here has better ideas). to close this course of thought, the idea is best bang for my buck. even if it needs small amounts of work to be "combat reliable"

Shadow2

Amateur
I have a few friends that are shooting Mega Arms Builds using the Mega 16 inch barrel. Main use is long range and DMR comps. Very nice rifle and damn good accuracy.

Shadow2

Amateur
The upper includes the fore end. Take a look at the grey ghost precision rifles they are built on the mega arms.

regdudedrtyjob

I was really into the LMT .308, think it was the MWS. Pretty heavy, but I believe that they are making a slicked version with attachable rail sections. The ability to change barrels/calibers with a torque wrench seems pretty slick too. If I remember correctly, the UK MoD bought the Pic rail ones as a DMR rifle platform and was pretty happy with them. At the local Sportsman's Warehouse, the MWS was going for around $2,800. If I was going to build one I think a good place to start would be MEGA. Hope this helps.
http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/308-modular-weapon-system-269.html

I don't have the scratch. I am not trying to buy the absolute very best... Yet. I want something that if I can save a grand, by getting some gunsmithing later on down the road, that is where I am at.

I would throw in the new Armalite AR-10 models. They have some excellent models for affordable prices with great modern optioning. Armalite is also decent quality with good accuracy.

JekPokins

Amateur
I have a DPMS G2 Lite Hunter that I bought primarily for a hunting rifle and experimental precision/ competition rifle. While generally hesitant to recommend anything DPMS, the G2 guns are extremely nice for my purposes. I've had zero issues functionally (5-600 rounds fired) and it filled my freezer nicely last year. I hope it does the same again this season.

Accuracy wise, it is capable of sub MOA accuracy (5/8"ish at 100 yards) from a COLD BARREL, but groups double or more after 10 rounds or so from the light barrel in my particular model. With that said, I'm not going to complain about getting cold sub-MOA groups from a semi auto 308 that weighs under 10 lbs loaded with optics. I am pleased enough with this rifle that I have the G2 Recon on my short list of future purchases for when I want something a little heavier than 5.56.

Yo_Adrian_G

Amateur
I have a DPMS G2 Lite Hunter that I bought primarily for a hunting rifle and experimental precision/ competition rifle. While generally hesitant to recommend anything DPMS, the G2 guns are extremely nice for my purposes. I've had zero issues functionally (5-600 rounds fired) and it filled my freezer nicely last year. I hope it does the same again this season.

Accuracy wise, it is capable of sub MOA accuracy (5/8"ish at 100 yards) from a COLD BARREL, but groups double or more after 10 rounds or so from the light barrel in my particular model. With that said, I'm not going to complain about getting cold sub-MOA groups from a semi auto 308 that weighs under 10 lbs loaded with optics. I am pleased enough with this rifle that I have the G2 Recon on my short list of future purchases for when I want something a little heavier than 5.56.
I'm thinking of getting a G2 recon. How has your rifle held up?