Help me choose a light

Nowski

I have recently gone over to carrying a Glock 48 for edc so that means no WML. I normally carry a G19 with a TLR-1HL w/ a 320 lumen Surefire G2 in my pocket w/ a Tyrm Switchback 1.0, since my handheld will now be my primary source of light I want something with more output and a little slimmer. I'm looking at the Surefire EDC L2, the Surefire Tactician and the new Defender.

For those of you who have used these lights what are the pros and cons or weird quirks that they may have, I have tried googling these lights at length and every discussion on lights turns in to "try this brand that only flash light nerds know of" hopefully someone here can help.

I don't like the bezel up carry option of the Tactician, so I eliminated that one immidiately.

I have an EDCL2-T and an EDCL1-T and really like both of them. I use a Thyrm Switchback on both of them and think either is plenty of light for pistol distances. I like the gas pedal switches that make it easy to get low or high depending on the pressure. I don't like having to mess with multiple presses to get to different modes for this type of light. The twist for constant combined with the Switchback makes getting constant on a little difficult, but that isn't something I use very often.

The new Defender with the single output option looks good too. It is about 1/4" shorter than the EDCL2 and has a shrouded tailcap which should make it pocket a bit better, but you would give up the Switchback compatibility and low mode. The Defender Ultra has a low mode, but you have to double press to get there, so that would be out for me.

Nowski

I was thinking of dumping the switch back but I love the ring and the bezel down carry. As far a pocket carry goes it won't be in my pocket too often as I plan on having a local holster maker make me a mag/light pouch combo, Also i'm picking up a Surefire key chain light for small admin tasks so low/high multiple presses really wont matter too much.

I'm definitely not an expert and can only speak to my personal experience with the Tactician. I've been carrying it for about 10 months now. I actually like the light quite a bit but it definitely has some limitations. As dontshakepandas mentioned it is only bezel up carry (if that's a con for you). However, potentially the biggest limitation is the output. It's a very bright 800 lumens but it's the MaxVision beam so it puts out more of a floodlight than a focused beam. Based on my experience I would estimate that you can only get solid, detailed PID out to maybe 50 yards if there's no substantial photonic barriers. In a dark field I've been able to illuminate and see a person moving at over 100 yards but it was very difficult to see fine details. I've also used it to illuminate to the far side of an arena where I was attending a concert, I could light up and see a large portion of the audience but despite knowing where a friend of mine was I could not positively and clearly identify them. Battery life seems to be pretty good, I carry a second light that I use more heavily for day to day tasks so I don't actually use the Tactician all that much and have replaced the batteries twice in the 10 months I've been carrying it. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Nowski

I'm definitely not an expert and can only speak to my personal experience with the Tactician. I've been carrying it for about 10 months now. I actually like the light quite a bit but it definitely has some limitations. As dontshakepandas mentioned it is only bezel up carry (if that's a con for you). However, potentially the biggest limitation is the output. It's a very bright 800 lumens but it's the MaxVision beam so it puts out more of a floodlight than a focused beam. Based on my experience I would estimate that you can only get solid, detailed PID out to maybe 50 yards if there's no substantial photonic barriers. In a dark field I've been able to illuminate and see a person moving at over 100 yards but it was very difficult to see fine details. I've also used it to illuminate to the far side of an arena where I was attending a concert, I could light up and see a large portion of the audience but despite knowing where a friend of mine was I could not positively and clearly identify them. Battery life seems to be pretty good, I carry a second light that I use more heavily for day to day tasks so I don't actually use the Tactician all that much and have replaced the batteries twice in the 10 months I've been carrying it. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.
It was very helpful, thank you. I'm leaning more and more to the Defender it's about 40 bucks more where I'm looking to buy but maybe the EDC is still a better buying that they put out the same amount of light it just looks really big in comparison.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
I carry the EDCL2-T with a switchback and I think it’s the perfect answer to no wml. The only thing I wish I could do would be make the switch like that on the g2x tactical. For my little girl hands that switch is easier to activate with a switchback. But output is solid and it carries well. I haven’t taken it to an environment with any tough photonic barriers yet but in the dark out at our farm it’s plenty capable of PID at 75 through the yard light. I’ll post more once I get out with it a bit, I’m going to go out one night in the next couple weeks and find some conditions to test it in. I’ve been carrying mine for something like 6-8 months now.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
This might have started as a joke but there is some serious merit here.

This is out performing any Surefire and Streamlight in the same size/weight category to include lights one size larger.

Modlite head on a 18650 or 18350 body and a clicky cap.IMG_20190407_183730_022.jpg

Nowski

I figured I should follow up on this. I ended up getting the EDCL2 and I really like the light. I like the 5/1000 lumen gas pedal switch, it gives me a nice hot spot with plenty of spill. The low setting is great for admin stuff and at full power I can see clear across my lawn which I couldn't do with my G2. Most of all it's far easier to carry in my pocket than the G2 w/ switch back.