help a newbie lol

big jon

ok i know nex to nothing about nvg. but is there anything between overseas junk and one that is almost a second hand car payment lol

Whiskey

Amateur
What is a second hand car payment to you? My NV setup cost more than my truck, but my truck is a functional POS. You can look on forums like AR15dotcom and see some PVS14s that are around 2000. Lower than that you may be looking at a PVS7 which comes with its own disadvantages. Keep in mind that is just the cost of the unit itself. You need something to mount it to and mount it with, which are additional costs. Then you get into setting up a weapon to utilize NV well, and there are additional costs.

Unfortunately NVDs/NODs are just one of those things that are hard to cheap out on and get good function from. But it really depends on your use. If you are just wanting to look at things in the dark, maybe something like a Sionyx digital device may be good enough for you.

Rorschach

If you are just wanting to look at things in the dark, maybe something like a Sionyx digital device may be good enough for you.
How far behind are tippy-top-of-the-A-list digital NV's from decent tubes in terms of their suitability for "dynamic" work, head-mounted use, and the like? Is delay what mostly sets digital behind tubes? Or is it some other spec like resolution, etc?

Whiskey

Amateur
I've only looked through a Sionyx once, so I'm sure there are people way more qualified to speak on it. I just know that I would not want to try and head mount one and walk through the woods with it.

Default.mp3

Established
How far behind are tippy-top-of-the-A-list digital NV's from decent tubes in terms of their suitability for "dynamic" work, head-mounted use, and the like? Is delay what mostly sets digital behind tubes? Or is it some other spec like resolution, etc?
The delay didn't seem huge from the one unit I played with. However, it absolutely needs active illumination to do any real kind of work, and I found the resolution to be pretty mediocre. While it can be semi-viable for static observation, head-mounted active use it can only do hobby-grade activities.