Heavy for caliber ammunition.

Scmcwms

Hey guys! I stumbled across some 185gr 9mm from a company called Seismic munitions. Theres alot of talk about the shortcomings of light for caliber ammunition but what about heavy for caliber ammunition. I wouldn't consider carrying this but i wonder if heavier 9mm would provide any significant advantages for terminal ballistics. They also offer a 300+gr 45 acp. Thanks

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Heavier for caliber usually translates to better penetration and reduced risk of deflection of intermediate barriers. You may also see some improvement in accuracy/precision with the longer bullet.

147 is generally consider heavy for caliber. Anything bigger than that and your talking about weird pressure situations because your shoving a significantly longer bullet into a case with only so much room for projectile and powder in order to fit into a magazine.

Riffing on the pressure comment, my first thought was good luck seating these in a standard brass case. When I reload 147gr HST I have to cull some of the thicker brass (CBC head stamps for instance), as they bulge too much as the longer bullet seats deeper into the case where the brass is thicker. Checking out the Seismic Munitions site they are using Shell Shock cartridges, which are pretty unique and I have no personal experience. A few articles tout the cases as being rated for much higher pressure than +P 9mm, and having "uniform wall thickness" (which I'm guessing a key to this puzzle). Interesting product from a reloading nerd standpoint. Curious about twist rate and stability as well.

Being able pick up spent cases with a magnet on a stick like I do with shot shells does sound appealing.

migra

Is this a buy commercially available ammo or load-your-own siutation?
I've never bought commercial heavy for caliber ammo, but I have some insights for load-your-own heavy for caliber 9mm and .45, if this applies to you.

Scmcwms

Is this a buy commercially available ammo or load-your-own siutation?
I've never bought commercial heavy for caliber ammo, but I have some insights for load-your-own heavy for caliber 9mm and .45, if this applies to you.
This is pre loaded ammunition from Seismic munitions. I looked around for over weight 9mm diameter bullets to play around with in my reloading press but couldnt find any good options without casting my own.