Heads up for LEOs / PERSEC sensitive personnel

M80Ball

FamilyTreeNow has compiled a metric fuck ton of data from virtually everyone. Data includes current address, full names, phone numbers, birth dates, past addresses, associates, family, and so on. You can go on, search yourself, and then opt out on that page. You're also able to opt others out simply by searching them and opening their page.

PlasticMag

Amateur
Good gouge. Lots on there for me. One issue I found - you have to go to their privacy page and go through the 'Opt Out' function there in order to get records removed. We'll see how it goes.

KUTF

MylifeDOTcom has preassembled profiles with all.of your personal information and family members pre-linked by associating previously shared addresses. Scary level of networking from public records.

I think these types of websites should be regulated into extinction. With the proliferation of ID theft, there is NO reason that any person's private, personal information should be for sale to anyone willing to put $20 on their credit card.

sreidy

Amateur
California has a law that allows LEO's to be removed from these type of search engines. I use a service that does this for me for a small fee and contacts all these services and has my information removed. There may be similar laws in other states, this is the service I use https://www.leowebprotect.com/

There are more of these personal info search aggregators than you can shake a stick at. If your information is on FamilyTreeNow then you can believe it's on pretty much all of them.

This article has a list of at least 10 other major aggregators, and I'm sure there are still more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-remove-yourself-from-people-search-websites/

We really have to accept that we live in a post-privacy world. I think this is one of the biggest issues we face as a society and we seriously need to get our elected leaders on our side in fighting for privacy, both from the government and from business. Otherwise this will continue to pervade our every day life until we all live in "Minority Report."

B0308

Amateur
OP, Thanks for the tip. Opted out on Familytreenow, will look at the others.

Of course thanks to ignorance at OPM the Chinese, at least , have all my PII :(