Headlamp

Headlamp with red light for Army OCS. Only requirements are red and white light ability. Obtaining batteries are not too much of a concern for me. Debating between princeton tec vizz tactical (420lm), princeton tec remix pro red & white leds(300lm), and petzl tactikka (250lm)
-Pros of vizz are ipx7
cons well over 1oz heavier when factoring in batteries vs remix pro, just released this summer so I couldn't find any user feedback
-Remix pro ipx4 and durability issues mentioned in reviews especially with water resistance
-Petzl tactikka not as bright as other options, no o ring supposedly for weather proofing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jBravo3

I use headlamps every day this time of year - hunting, farm chores, admin tasks in/around patrol vehicle at work, etc. I've owned and used several tactikkas, and they're ok, but I think I'd want something a bit tougher for OCS. I'll try to attach a couple pics to illustrate, but the main housing has cracked on a couple of them through light/moderate use, and although they do still work, I'm pretty sure if they got dropped in a puddle they'd be done. I've had a couple Cabela's branded PrincetonTec lights that disappointingly fizzled out, but no personal experience with the ones you mentioned. If you haven't considered a Surefire Minimus yet, that'd probably be what I'd take, although it's not exactly lightweight compared to some others. It does come with a red diffuser, and I don't know if there's a more rugged headlamp out there.

IMG_20181230_163555.jpg

IMG_20181230_163614.jpg

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
princeton tec remix pro red & white leds(300lm)

This has been my go to headlamp since the Q course in 2014. I have yet to see anything out better.

Havent had any time with Vizz but I imagine its decent. I believe I own 7 Remix Pros and dont see a reason to look anywhere else. The only issue ive had is with the battery door latch, but they sent me out replacements immediately. I would consider contacting them and saying yours broke just to have extras on hand.

Rick

Wake27

princeton tec remix pro red & white leds(300lm)

This has been my go to headlamp since the Q course in 2014. I have yet to see anything out better.

Havent had any time with Vizz but I imagine its decent. I believe I own 7 Remix Pros and dont see a reason to look anywhere else. The only issue ive had is with the battery door latch, but they sent me out replacements immediately. I would consider contacting them and saying yours broke just to have extras on hand.

Rick

Fully agreed. I got crazy lost one night using s cheap headlamp in ROTC. I found the Remix Pro and think I have three now. The battery doors can be kind of fragile, but PT has also mailed me several extras just in case I break the replacements. They’re kind of a pain in the ass to replace, but it’s a very good headlamp. Do get the modular mounting kit though, I want to say it’s called MPLS. Even if you don’t use it, that version has a larger range of adjustment which allows you to rotate the lamp all the way up so that it folds flat and blocks the power button from being pressed unintentionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teague

I have this Princetec, it went through 2 deployments and is still going strong. Mine is tan, but it looks like this is the same one.
Screenshot_2018-12-31-00-37-07.png

Wake27

Forgot to mention - I found the Remix Pro because my first headlamp was super dim and that’s a big reason why I got lost. The RP is super bright for a head lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the advice. Bought the latest Remix pro 300 lumens with 3 red leds, a box of surefire cr123s and emailed princeton tec about recieving a couple spare battery compartment doors. Thanks