handheld light and grip

Tracer

Amateur
MODS: I posted this here cause it revolves around the light being used.

Gents:
I have a question for ya. The quality of instruction at work has me wanting to double check it's efficiency with y'all on here. At work I have found a grip technique based off of the flashlight and weapons used. I have a M16A2 and M9 for work. The light is from Streamlight and a Stinger model maybe. Anyhow it has a activation button up near the bezel as well as one on the tailcap. So I'm at home, or otherwise I'd take pics of positioning. So far, I use my thumb and 2nd finger to make a ring up near the bezel of the light (using my thumb to activate the button near the bezel) and my other three fingers to grip onto the weapon.

For the rifle, I grip on the mag well, with the light canted upward. I find that if I grip anywhere else on the rifle, it doesn't seem to be a solid shooting position as this technique. With the light pointing forward, too much of the rifle blocks too much of the light. So having the light angled upward a lil bit allowes more of the light to bypass the body of the rifle.

For the pistol, I grip the light in the same manner with the 3 fingers that aren't on the light are wrapped over my primary hand that's on the pistol grip, almost duplicating a 2 handed grip (just minus holding the friggin light). The angle of the light pointing up isn't caused from the pistol blocking a lot of the light as with the rifle. I think the grip of the pistol being slightly angles, and my primary hand placement angle angles my support hand in return when wrapped on the outside. I hope this makes sense.

Descriptions of technique set aside, is there a more efficient manner to use a handheld light for my M16A2 and M9? Point of interest: I cannot change these weapons at work (ie: get a BCM upper with rails). BUT, I can change the light they issue out. And as you would guess, these light vary in output from light to light, being old and not cared for like a personal light (we turn them in at the end of shift).

Questions, advice?

Thank you for your time.

Tracer

Amateur
PS: I have a personal Fury, but the light body is too slick for my hands, and the light pushes forward as I press the tailcap activation button.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I remember a technique where the light is under the barrel resting in contact with the front of the magwell. To turn on the light pull the light into the magwell so the tailcap button is pressed.

Old and stupid but it is one way. That was taught at my old dept pre weapon light.

Tracer

Amateur
The lights we have have a ridge around the tailcap button. A lil more difficult, but I imagine doable. If only the overall rifle wasn't as long as it is, I imagine more options would be available. The instructor did mention the technique you described to someone for the flashlight he had used on a rifle. Possibly for a pistol as well? Interesting, as I would prefer the Fury over the used and abused issued/turnin light from work.

And before anyone has to say it, I know mounts for the pistol would be easier to deal with. Between various influences from management and training officer, no chance of this happening.

Please keep the options coming.

Tracer

Amateur
Would this technique work for rifle as well, or do you find it was intended/works better for pistol then rifle? About grip tape- maybe something like the griptape from the '90s that was tacky and a dark grey/black color. With the finger groves of the flashlight, something more rigid like skateboard tape is out of the question. But I think I may try this idea out if I get ahold of the right kind of tape.