Handheld, compact IR flashlight

jBravo3

I'm trying to find a handheld IR flashlight that's small enough to fit in a pocket. It doesn't have to have white light capability but the ability to use it for both white and IR would be a plus.

So far, all I can find is the Surefire V1. Is that my only option? IR head on another light? I'm just trying to figure out what else is out there, aside from $12 Amazon lights. I do have IR/white on my helmet but I'm specifically looking for a handheld.

Intended use is part-time, rural security jobs, and occasional LE duty use. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

jBravo3

How big is pocketable to you? The modlite 18650 has two IR head options.

Running that exact light on our duty weapons w/o complaint. That size would work OK, but guess I'm looking for something a bit more compact with a slick/snag proof, purpose built body (maybe a pocket clip?) for handheld usage (I know I'm exhibiting my OCD). Thanks for the input.

jBravo3

Nvm, you pointed me in the right direction and I didn't do my due diligence. That does come with a clip and slick body as an option. I think that's viable for my needs/purposes. Anything else out there duty grade that's not at Surefire and Modlite prices? If that's it then that's it I suppose. Thanks again.

Default.mp3

Established
Does it have to be a handheld? How are you planning to use it? Wondering, as there are several headlamps from Princeton Tec that have IR modes.

You can also build your own for a little cheaper using a Malkoff head (EX IR 250) and body (MDC 1CR123).

jBravo3

Does it have to be a handheld? How are you planning to use it? Wondering, as there are several headlamps from Princeton Tec that have IR modes.

You can also build your own for a little cheaper using a Malkoff head (EX IR 250) and body (MDC 1CR123).
I do have a couple of Scout lights sitting around that I could use if i went that route. Use would be for periodically/momentarily searching/scanning wooded/rural/suburban properties while already wearing helmet mounted NODs, either on foot or from a vehicle (so outdoor use, little to no ambient lighting). 100 yard visibility probably.

I would prefer a handheld specifically, yes, in order to facilitate easy in and out of a pocket throughout a shift/patrol. Obviously I'm not worried about anyone else having NODs as I'm searching/looking around. Thanks for the reply.

Grizzly

Nvm, you pointed me in the right direction and I didn't do my due diligence. That does come with a clip and slick body as an option. I think that's viable for my needs/purposes. Anything else out there duty grade that's not at Surefire and Modlite prices? If that's it then that's it I suppose. Thanks again.
Yep with the thyrm LPC the modlite is very pocket worthy.

I'm pretty sure there are lower price bodies/tail switches out there that modlite heads fit on. A buddy has played around with it to save money but personally I haven't tried it yet.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I have a 18350 and 18650 setup just for my IR Modlite heads. Between the two heads, there is a big output difference, but I can't remember which is which at the moment. I have the OKW equivalent set up with the other in a daka pouch if I need it.