Handgun WML Activation

Andrew Y.

I posted this poll on the Primary&Secondary FB group, included are the results and additional comments.
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 10.36.07 PM.png

Corey Barnes I'm a tactical nobody, and have been trying to activate it with my off-hand thumb. Running the X300U-a currently, the push-in for momentary is just too far of a reach for my thumb so I have to use the rocker in a partially depressed way so as not to activate the constant on.

From the little use I had on a TLR-1 I think their switch is better of an option unless someone can figure out a better way for me to run the U-boat. Maybe the new A models with the bigger rocker switch would help me as well.
Unlike · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 1:46pm

Kevin Danger
For the overwhelming majority that uses their non dom hand, what happens when you have to draw and fire one handed? Or when your non dom hand/arm is injured, or occupied with a child or helping to carry someone that's wounded?

I ask rhetorically, not to rustle jimmies, but to make sure people are thinking about less than ideal circumstances and planning accordingly.
Unlike · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 1:56pm

Cameron Benz
My view is I still have the option of going constant on with my index finger though it isn't ideal. Caveat, I'm a civilian.
Like · Reply · 4 · November 18 at 2:19pm · Edited

Kevin Danger
That's how I roll all the time. I just know there are people who never thought about it.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 2:44pm

Matt Koehrsen
Good point. Same goes for us dog handlers. Whatever the technique it has to be practiced.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 2:58pm

Kevin Danger
Didn't even think about handlers. Excellent point.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 3:04pm

Drew Yersin
so do you lift the switch or depress it
Like · Reply · November 18 at 3:13pm

Cameron Benz
I press forward with my support thumb if I want momentary. Flick down if I want constant on.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:26pm

Kevin Danger
I flick upwards with trigger finger as I draw. Natural motion takes my finger past the switch on its way to index along the frame. Super smooth for me.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 5:03pm

Phil Speez
My hand is large enough to do it one handed - and I have done that in the past. That being said, I prefer to activate with my support hand via pressure.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 6:26pm
14910515_1302157943149800_1907716145380249749_n.jpg

Write a reply...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSP...aXZhdGlvbixhY3RpdmF0aW5nLGFjdGl2YXRlLGxpZ2h0#

Justin Coyle
Per policy and departmental instructions support side thumb is the only manner in which to activate mounted pistol light.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 1:57pm

Jason Nixon
My Dept, who had WMLs, taken away due to an AD by a kid, are now getting them back with the newer Safariland holsters. We've debated this very topic and are going to be teaching from draw it's the trigger finger and everything after that is off hand. Bill Blowers
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 2:15pm

John Wells
Can you expand on this? I'm just not following you on this one.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:06pm

Jason Nixon
From the draw We are using the trigger finger to activate the WML's toggle to the on position. That's the only time the trigger finger manipulates the light. If the light has to be turned off and then back on again while outside of the holster it is done so with the support hand. If you are firing with one hand, well then that answer is obvious.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 7:24pm · Edited

Write a reply...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSP...aXZhdGlvbixhY3RpdmF0aW5nLGFjdGl2YXRlLGxpZ2h0#

Cameron Benz
So, from a civilian perspective..

I opt to use my support hand thumb. I've tried the DG switch and what I don't like about it are:

1) It's easy to ND the light and that may or may not be an issue for others. I sort of wish the DG had an off option.

2) I don't like the idea of compromising part of my firing grip to accommodate the pressure switch. It's a personal thing.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 2:27pm

Blaine Cooper Britt
I have the same issues with the DG so it is sitting in the drawer. It may be a training issue for me but for now it is a no go.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:58pm

Cameron Benz
Same with mine
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:59pm

Write a reply...

Lee Gullett
I prefer to utilize the bottom of the left hand of the activation switch for WML actuation, using the whole bladed hand to activate the light and then reattaining the "perfect" grip again. This is mostly for warm and fuzzies for trigger safety, as I feel like I can more positively do this while moving/otherwise not static and I don't have that lone wandering thumb next to the trigger.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 2:31pm

Cameron Benz
I don't think I could bend my small ass thumb to hit the trigger if I tried.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 2:39pm

Lee Gullett
Cameron Benz holdover from my days of hunting. It only manifests itself in certain things but having NOTHING near the trigger is one of those.
Like · Reply · 3 · November 18 at 4:15pm

Cameron Benz
I totally get it
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:15pm

Write a reply...

Kevin Williams
For an X300 (no DG switch), I use my trigger finger in a downward swipe for a normal two handed drawstroke, but swipe in an upward motion if I'm strong hand only. If I miss it, I extend out and use my support hand thumb to activate. This works best for me and is supported by the shot timer. I deactivate with support thumb only.
I like the easier switch on the TLR-HL but dislike that only 1 direction gets you constant on.
Like · Reply · 3 · November 18 at 3:16pm · Edited

Drew Yersin
Why change method based on draw type
Like · Reply · November 18 at 3:24pm

Kevin Williams
I've just had much more success/easier swiping upwards if its strong hand only. This was with a new light and stiff switch. I just did 10 on the timer both ways and they're about equal now that its loosened up somewhat..
Like · Reply · November 18 at 5:46pm · Edited

Write a reply...

Chad Nabors
I use a DG switch on my X300 equipped P226. The most important consideration for myself being it allows true one-hand control: thanks to my tiny T-rex hands, my trigger finger can only just reach the rocker switch, that being far less positive in actuation than I like. The DG switch ensures that if I am drawing in a great hurry, the light is on with no additional action on my part. I do not forsee an issue due to light AD's in my world (armed civilian), but if I am not drawing at best speed it is possible to slightly relax my grip and keep the light off, no issues.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 3:47pm

Daniel Easterday
For a two handed draw, Steve Fisher has a method where you use the inside of the joint where your index finger meets your hand to push up on the X300 switch when you are bringing your hands together. it's really hard to explain, and I suck at video which is why I tagged him in this one.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 4:08pm

John Wells
So 102 people that have voted for the first option did you read it wrong or, do you really leave your light in a constant on condition?
Like · Reply · 6 · November 18 at 4:09pm
Hide 16 Replies

Lee Gullett
yes. It's one of the ways I actuate the WML. for momentary a push "forward" method works better for me.

a lot of us selected more than one option as not everything merits the same use of light.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:13pm

Cameron Benz
Good catch. I didn't read far enough.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:13pm · Edited

Justin Coyle
I changed my vote after reading the entire ballot.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 4:14pm

Daniel Easterday
This is situationally dependent, but yes. For the most part, once the light is on, it's on. Your night vision is blown at that point, and unless you have good ambient lighting, you're gonna run into shit. I do not, as a rule, search with a weapon light. I search with a hand held light, and target ID, and got to the gun light if necessary.

The only time I'm going to be walking around with a gun in my hand is in my house and if something has gone horribly wrong enough to get me to abandon my position upstairs, and given that I have children, I'm not pointing a gun at someone or something just to ID it.

The practice of switching light on to see, then turing it off, moving and then switching it on again is a very over taught (in my own opinion, and experience as a former security guy that had to do a lot of abandoned building searches) technique and requires a lot of practice to understand when to use it and when not to use it.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:14pm

John Wells
Daniel Easterday so your searching a place with a hand held and you see a threat. Can you give me a break down of your actions?
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:44pm

John Wells
Lee Gullett yeah the poll is a little hard to really answer without multiple options selected. It just really floored me when I seen that many people answered with an always on.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:46pm

Daniel Easterday
IF I see a threat, I bring the gun into play and point it at them. I have two options: Stow the handheld and go WML, or continue to use the hand held and bring gun up. Depending on how I am rolling (if I have a holster on, and situationally dependent), My gun is either in the holster or in a one handed "sul" the position.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:47pm

Daniel Easterday
Please illuminate me on why always on is bad M'k?
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:47pm

Lee Gullett
John Wells dude for non-LE/Mil I think the juice to squeeze ratio for always on/sporadic ain't there. Perfecting that requires a lot of practice (even just manipulation) when the payoff is limited. I know why DARC does it, I know why smart guys like it, for 100+ members (a lot of our civvie contingent) that time is better invested in working other skill sets. Is it robbing peter to pay paul? maybe. Is it the kind of decision we make when structuring our training plans and goals? absolutely.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 4:49pm

John Wells
Daniel Easterday easy man. I never said it was bad, wrong, good or otherwise. I was just wanting to see if you switched to WML or went strong hand on gun and went into any of the many techniques used to shoot with a hand held light.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:51pm

Daniel Easterday
it was a bad attempt at south park humor.. sorry
Like · Reply · 3 · November 18 at 4:53pm

Cameron Benz
Lee to contrast that, at this time of year, we have 16 hours of darkness here in the PNW, so light n scoot is worthwhile to me. At home, it's probably not going to get used though as there's generally enough ambient light for me to see a silhouette so the first time that light is going to come on is going to be to ID the potential threat. Anywhere else I'll be intermittent.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:54pm

Daniel Easterday
i think we are trying to cover too much, contextually, here.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:55pm

John Wells
Now to be clear I use both methods also. The weapon light for me it more of a backup as in for some strange reason my handheld stops working/dead batteries etc.
Like · Reply · 4 · November 18 at 4:56pm

Daniel Easterday
John Wells, i agree. the other great application of WML pistol light is keeping illumination on an already known threat that is not worth shooting YET. think high risk/felony stops where you order someone out of a car.
Like · Reply · 3 · November 18 at 4:57pm

Daniel Easterday
As an addendum to that, think keeping someone at gunpoint while having to radio in to dispatch for backup.
Like · Reply · 3 · November 18 at 4:59pm

Write a reply...

Ryan Albert
I selected 2 options, but really there's a variety of ways I'll use it dictated by the situation.

If for some reason i had to draw one handed and couldn't use my support hand, I'll use my trigger finger for constant on.

If I'm clearing a house or something, I always use my support thumb for momentary.

If I'm in any other situation where I would want constant for some reason and I have my support hand available, my support thumb puts it on constant.

The only thing that's never used, and isn't on the list anyway is trigger finger momentary, since you'd have to give up your light to shoot.

For the record, I know of at least one full time team that runs every dynamic entry lights on constantly day and night, so for those who say why would you ever constant... There are a few guys who do it. Our team does not run constant light.
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 4:25pm

Cameron Benz
That's an interesting approach
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:26pm

Ryan Albert
I see it just like sul, high compressed, temple index... Why limit yourself to one thing? Carry a few more tools in your tool box.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 4:28pm

Cameron Benz
True. Just the constant on approach was an interesting concept. I guess it must work for them.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:29pm

Ryan Albert
Ah. I'm not a big fan of it. We're very strict on light discipline, not back lighting the team/your partner, etc.

They explained their approach as on dynamic entry they should be through that whole structure in under 30 seconds. When they're moving that quick they'd rather not fuck with manipulating lights, so they turn on when they stack at the door and leave them on for the whole entry.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:32pm

Cameron Benz
Yeah and I suppose going into some structures, they need lights to see where the hell they're going because the houses are probably full of junk.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:35pm

Ryan Albert
Most we hit are full of junk, but pro tip... If the guy 6 inches in front of you moved through an area, you can also move through that area. If you're in the train with nothing to look at, your light should be off.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:37pm

Cameron Benz
True enough.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:37pm

Write a reply...

Grant Baginski
I tried the support hand thumb for a while. Moved to activating with the trigger finger during the draw stroke after a Tap-Rack class. It works so much better for me
Unlike · Reply · 3 · November 18 at 8:24pm · Edited

Drew Yersin
Sweep up or down?
Like · Reply · November 18 at 5:31pm

Grant Baginski
Down, on the way to the trigger
Unlike · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 5:32pm

Drew Yersin
Gotcha thanks
Like · Reply · November 18 at 5:32pm

Write a reply...

Earl Henderson
Anyone remember the thread on light fighter about patrol officers using their weapon lights to direct traffic with the lights still on the guns?
Like · Reply · November 18 at 4:59pm

Daniel Easterday
FML, those people need to be punched
Like · Reply · 2 · November 18 at 4:59pm

Sean Powell
And see thats when those idiots mess it up for the rest of the departments or other departments. We only give WMLs to K9 officers or SWAT officers because they are afaird we would point our weapons at people just to search with the light. Just because a neighboring agency did that on traffic stops..
Like · Reply · November 18 at 5:42pm

Write a reply...

Sean Powell
I have a streamlight TLR-01 HL so use my Non-Dominant thumb and rock down on the rocker switch for momentary. But if I am shooting strong hand or weak hand only I use my trigger finger and rock down if I am shooting strong hand or up if I am shooting weak hand for constant on.
Like · Reply · November 18 at 5:09pm · Edited

Drew Yersin
Thanks everyone for the feedback
Like · Reply · 4 · November 18 at 5:11pm

Adam McFinnagan
DevGru switch for the 300U.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 7:21pm

Drew Yersin
Devgru?
Like · Reply · November 18 at 7:24pm

Write a reply...

Adam McFinnagan
The DG11 switch from SureFire. DG stands for DecGru as they're the ones that did T&E and got SF to get rid of that damn horseshoe switch they originally had. Hated that old switch.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 7:28pm

Duane Liptak
DevGru. As in "NSWDG".
Unlike · Reply · 4 · November 18 at 8:44pm · Edited

Shawn Hinck
Can we please get the inaccurate info off of the page?
Like · Reply · 2 · November 19 at 9:17am

Scott Peterson
Lol
Like · Reply · November 19 at 9:22am

Write a reply...

Michael Garcia
I run an apl I tap on engage tap off. I tried to use the momentary during the HSP handgun vehicle darkness class and light and move often found me meaning to temp pressure and clicking which meant poor light discipline. At around round 650 I switched to tap on and tap off and I was a happy camper. Primary activation is reactionary hand thumb followed by primary trigger finger. Application is CCW and training. They don't trust us with WMLs at work.
Like · Reply · 1 · November 18 at 7:47pm

Edwin Kronberger
I used to run a DG switch. I'd would have loved to stick with them, but they wear out too quickly with draw reps. Got tired of putting heat shrink on them, replacing them, or sending them to Surefire. That and the last ones I had in rotation were kinda falling apart - one of the stainless pins holding the assembly together fell out.
Like · Reply · November 19 at 7:31am

The Inforce is great in that I can instantly activate it as I draw. I always use my trigger finger, since I can always reach it, and can turn it on and transition to shooting almost instantly. Helps maintain trigger discipline and prevent an ND by having two hands do two different things at once. Just my experience, and I wouldn't call myself an expert.