Gun Belt Search

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I'm looking for a nylon, molle compatible, stiff gun belt with a free running end and cobra buckle. The kicker is I want the liner belt to have the velcro Hook and the actual gun belt to have the velcro pile. 90% are the other way around. I've worn several and I dislike the hook being on the gun belt itself becasue if I choose not to wear the liner belt, the hook starts to destroy your pants over time. Some performance fabrics like the Crye All Weather or especially when wearing it over inclement weather layers , get very piled up where it makes contact. Reversing the velcro does nothing to reduce the belts connections when worn together but will improve the outer belts interoperability with other fabrics when worn alone. Who's making it this way? Is there a legitimate reason why not that I'm not accounting for? The original Scuba webbing belts from Eagle I recall had the loop on the inside.

LukeNCMX

I am pretty sure belts evolved away from hook on inner/pile on outer because in practice people wore their inner belts as stand alone pants belts often and the hook ate up clothing/upholstery when worn alone

You could always just buy the Eagle belt.

Another option is to buy something like the SET Warbelt pad and integrate it with a normal hook outer belt to turn it into an old school vtac type setup.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I never considered the hook belt by itself because I'd just never find myself wearing just that. Seems foreign. I'm not wearing any velcro liner belt by itself. For some companies I could see it makes it easier having it that way because its less SKU's. Blue Alpha for example. Alot of people started off buying and wearing just the velcro belt. They like the low profile of the essentially buckless system and hook out makes no sense there. I've never had a long lasting velcro belt that I trusted to hold up a gun for years at a time so I would not think of using that one. However if you did and if it was a popular SKU, when it came time to make an outer duty type belt SKU, I suppose it only makes sense that they had to use Hook on it. No need to have 4 SKU's to cover the two ways to do it. I had an Eagle Belt but without the Molle. I forgot they made one with Molle. It was fairly stiff but not the stiffest. I have a belt with a pad now. The pad is kinda crappy over outter clothing. It make the whole thing feel more like a bike tire than a belt. I think the 1.5 to 1.75 belts are just too narrow for a thick pad.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Direct Action is a company with alot of good ideas. I wish they had more representation than they do in the US. I met some of their guys at NTOA and there were some really nice pieces in their lineup. I will check it out.