Guerrilla Approach Carbine Marksmanship

leozinho

This really needs to end.

Does anyone else think this thread needs to die?

Why do you care if a few of us go back and forth?

I hate the idea that anytime a thread gets mildly contentious - and this is mild - that moderators should step in and lock the thread. No one is being forced to reply and no one is being forced to read this.

Let people post if they want to post. There's no need for censorship.

BklynBacon

Amateur
It's not going anywhere though. The same people are posting and repeating themselves. You got some people who feel one way about it, and others who feel the opposite. Ultimately, the great thing about the firearms/training industry, is you have the ability to spend your money with you think can improve your skills, and what you think you need. If you don't want to deal with that person, then don't. I've gone to shit training, and instantly regretted it. I've gone to amazing training and didn't expect it to be. So, you learn your lessons and move forward..

Darth Tater

I'm not seeing the connection between the quote and your post.
I'm sorry, let me be more clear. I won't spend money with Barruga because he is arrogant and condescending towards other people in his industry. That said, (the rest of my post).

I'm very picky with my training dollars. Being an ass towards others in your space is the first way to get on my NFE list. Bad tactics is another. Bad safety, a condescending attitude towards students, and bad course administration are others.

Didn't all of this start with Barruga taking exception to an unnamed instructor (which we all presume was Petty) that was advising cops to seek cover behind the pillars?
Presumably, but it was because Barruga was taking statements out of context. He essentially turned a "when you have no other option, use what you got" statement into a "stacking pillars will protect you from the apocalypse" statement. It's all about Context.

Do you have to be a cop to have an opinion on how to use cover? Nope, so how is that shit posting as you so elegantly call it?
I don't think it relates to people saying you have to be a cop to know how to use cover. You do, however, need to be a cop to know how cops operate and function in and around their squad cars. Departments have policies and procedures for operation and service, and officers have individual habits based on unique and exclusive training and experience. There is a requirement to delineate between general advise and tactics, and TTPs that are task-specific to LE. For that task-specific teaching or instruction, there must be a proper frame of reference and background.

The issue I have with Barruga (which may or may not be somewhat inline with what a lot of people feel) is that he markets himself on his videos and in person (according to accounts here and elsewhere in AARs) as being the one guy that teaches people the "no fluff" REAL way to do things, and that everyoyne else is teaching all sorts of mall ninja tacticool stuff that involves a lot of BS. Oddly enough, every video I've seen of Barruga involves him doing the EXACT SAME SHIT as many other instructors. I'm not being taught useless bullshit by Pat Rogers (RIP), Steve Fisher, Dave Spaulding, and other high level instructors. From how Barruga appears to describe his methodology, he gives the distinct impression that he's the only one out on Fantasy Island doing the right thing. When you market yourself that way, I think that could count as shit posting. He then makes comments about how people are ripping on him for being different and trashing their unrealistic or poorly constructed training programs. What he fails to realize is that there is controversy because people are just getting annoyed with him running his mouth/keyboard. When he's shit talking/shit posting, all he's doing is making enemies. Nobody gives two shits about what he's teaching, they/we just want him to STFU about it and stop thinking he's a special snowflake.
Whether that's relevant to this discussion, however, is arbitrary. Just my $0.02, which is worth exactly that.