Grip texture on carry guns

SmElly

The good idea fairy is telling me that really aggressive texture on the front/back straps wouldn’t negatively impact IWB carry.

On the other hand, Overwatch precision doesn’t put aggressive texture anywhere on their carry package. Is there a good reason for this?

Gypsy EDC

The good idea fairy is telling me that really aggressive texture on the front/back straps wouldn’t negatively impact IWB carry.

On the other hand, Overwatch precision doesn’t put aggressive texture anywhere on their carry package. Is there a good reason for this?
"Really aggressive" is somewhat relative. I have encountered overly aggressive (uncomfortable) stippling on a second hand Glock. Stippled grips, or factory texture for that matter should perform more like siping on a highway tire than lugs on a mud terrain IMO, I really like the factory RTF texture

LukeNCMX

Some coarse textures pose a snag hazard with certain types of clothing depending on the body type, clothing, gun and carry style. I would apply coarse grip tape on the front trap and back strap of your pistol and test it. If your clothes don't snag on that than likely even the most aggressive texture in those areas will be ok.

Side note: I find that there are plenty of exceptions to the whole premise that aggressive texturing is not suited to concealed carry. I carry AIWB against bare skin and have no issues with my Great Lakes Custom Works Glock frames. One is the Chaos - Aggressive pattern and the other is the Traditional - Aggressive. With that being said I tried out an Agency Arms Armor textured frame and that is totally unacceptable for carry against skin in my experience.

WUtah

I stippled my frame the traditional way of touching a rounded tip soldering iron to the polymer to create a aggressive texture. It grabs at all my shirts and has worn a hole in one shirt. If I don't wear a undershirt it rubs at my skin pretty good. I'd personally go with just the factory texture or find someone who does a "Micro" stipple so it's less irritating to the skin/doesn't catch or rip on clothing. Not discouriging against stippling, just what I've experienced over the years.

SmElly

Some coarse textures pose a snag hazard with certain types of clothing depending on the body type, clothing, gun and carry style. I would apply coarse grip tape on the front trap and back strap of your pistol and test it. If your clothes don't snag on that than likely even the most aggressive texture in those areas will be ok.

That sir, is a great idea.

Many thanks for the input guys

Gypsy EDC

I stippled my frame the traditional way of touching a rounded tip soldering iron to the polymer to create a aggressive texture. It grabs at all my shirts and has worn a hole in one shirt. If I don't wear a undershirt it rubs at my skin pretty good. I'd personally go with just the factory texture or find someone who does a "Micro" stipple so it's less irritating to the skin/doesn't catch or rip on clothing. Not discouriging against stippling, just what I've experienced over the years.
Hit it lightly with a 3000 grit belt or fiberglass polishing compound and buffing wheel and it will make it so much kinder to your skin & clothes