good price for colt uppers

JRockwell

Hey guys,
New guy here, I have been hanging around for a little while trying to read as much as I can and learn. The general consensus is Colt is gtg, is $625 for a Colt M4 or M4A1 complete upper with KAC drop in handguards a good price? Sharkarms.com has them and alot of other colt parts listed and I couldn't find anything through the search on shark arms. Has anyone dealt with them or their colt parts? I have 2 AR's already that are unmentionable brands and just for fun guns and I am looking to get a good duty grade gun. Any guidance I much appreciated.

Door

Can't say I've ever owned a Colt product or heard of Shark Arms, but after a cursory search I'm seeing LE6920CK uppers go for around that with stock handguards, so unless I'm misreading Colt's product codes (I'm assuming the CK refers to conversion kit in reference to a complete upper?) that sounds like a fair price relative to the market.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/colt upper

I'm definitely not somebody who can speak on the quality or quality-price ratio of anything Colt though.

pointblank4445

Established
Since about 2002, I had been using almost exclusively Colt parts for everything AR if possible. I would dabble with some LMT components for builds but mostly stuck to Colt for consistently. Around the end of 2017, I decided that I had seen enough inconsistency in Colt components in a very short amount of time that I moved onto other vendors. Issues included rough tooling marks, inconsistency in component finishes, sloppy finish applications, and other minor but not unnoticed things. While fit&finish isn't the end-all, it can be an indicator of overall attention to detail and what you see may be an indication of corners cut that one does not see.

It's a buyer's market for AR15's right now and $625 for a bone stock Colt upper is not an overly great value considered you can go out and get a much more modern duty-grade upper for around the same price direct or form a reputable vendor. If I walked into a TOC and you shoved a 6920 and some mags into my hands, I would go forth with little worry. If I were in the market right now buying my own duty gun...probably can do better for your dollar.