Gloves!

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I have been using OR Overlords for the last couple years for shooting and general gun stuff. I have found the dexterity is awesome with them.

For force on force training I use the OR Firemarks, They allow more protection and good dexterity.

What has been working for you?

That's a good run for gloves. Most of these "tacticool" gloves only last a couple months to a year under hard to medium use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ran mechanix like most people and they are ok. Also had a pair of oakleys. But this past year I've had some firm grips from Home Depot that fit perfectly and they have been my favorite as dumb as it may sound. They have a nice round fit above the fingertip instead of that squared bulkiness that my mechanix gloves had. And no gaps in between the finger webs. They have nice low webs like the OR's. But not as good material as the OR's. As good in material as far as mechanix goes tho.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
My new gloves for shooting are some deerskin work gloves from Tractor Supply; just used some hot water to shrink them to my hands. Perfect fit. Not very "cool guy"...but they work better than anything else I've tried.

Been using some discontinued full-leather Arcteryx gloves (Tactician?) for riding the motorcycle lately...also awesome. I find nylon/Goretex stops being waterproof at highway speeds.

jmcrawf1

I've been trying out the Arcteryx venta ar for cold weather gloves while on duty. It only dips to 25-30 degrees or so here in Louisiana in the winter and these are pretty warm.
89489860cf96e2a0be5a07617ac56287.jpg

JCSpringer

I've rocked Line Of Fire pointmans for a few years. I love them. I got a new set a year ago that has the leather treatment so I can use my phone or MDT mouse pad.

Matt

Staff member
When I need a more substantial glove than whoever is knocking off the Southwest Motorsport vent glove these days I use CamelBak Max Grip NT gloves. Got them from work and they're actually really nice. For cold weather I have some OR stretchy fleecey gloves that I don't know the name of.

Default.mp3

Established
The Overlords can be weird with sizing, IME. The old models were very tight and form fitting, enough that I couldn't fit a small correctly (I tried over a period of a month to get them to stretch out properly, never could), while the mediums were too large. Very disappointing, as I loved my Firemarks in size small (the Ironsights also fit great). The new Overlords that aren't super tight are actually too loose for me, as I tried the new touch compatible Overlords and there was a fair bit of excess materials. For now, I'll just stick with my Firemarks for shooting; they're not true FR, as the goat leather was not FR treated, but the fabric areas are made out of Nomex, so at least they won't shrink wrap on me.

SFPD2010

Amateur
I've always kinda viewed gloves as a niche item, I try and have a pair for each general "task". For shooting I've been wearing OR Suppressor Gloves the last 4 months or so, I really enjoy them. I have little girl hands, and hate excess material at the finger tips or in-between the fingers, and the Suppressor fit great. Before that it was general aviation gloves that I would have the MIL cut the cuffs down for me, cheap and easy. For yard work, general around the house stuff, I have a pair of Lemont leather work gloves that are just about bullet proof.

Around the Firehouse, besides my fire gloves, I wear Mecahnic Wear M-Pact for extrication and general work, and a pair of Hatch Shorty Operators for Rope work. I know that sounds like alot of gloves, but If I'm messing with broken glass or fuel at an accident, I don't want to take those same gloves and handle ropes with them.

Naveronski

I wore my OR Overlord Sensor Short gloves for years. Then they were stolen; guess someone else thought they were awesome too. Now, I can't find them on OR's site.

Are they worth trying to track down again, or is there a new hotness?

MrMurphy

I used Hatch Kevlar shooting gloves 2005-2007, swapped over to Mechanix Impac2's.

Second pair of those kept me good (wasn't using them) until i went into cop work and grabbed an uh...."icky" transient. They sadly got biohazarded (i now use nitrile gloves for that kind of thing, but we were expecting a fight) and i've been using some locally acquired no-famous-name shooting gloves from Academy. For $17, they do what I need, which is keep my hands grippy and not freezing in colder weather mostly. I'll upgrade, probably to Hatch again, in the near future.