Glock Magazine Discussion

jwood1284

I'm new here so first I'll offer some background info. Non LE/MIL, civilian/govt industrial contractor (construction & infrastructure). I've been CC'ing my G19 (fish gill RTF2, stock with Ameriglo Pros) for 7yrs. I've owned/tried almost all of them and I always come back to my G19. That being said:

I'm picking up a G17 gen4 next week and I'm interested in trying some 3rd party magazines. I have a pile of Glock 19 & 17 mags that I use with my G19. I also have one Magpul GL9, but have yet to use it. I'd like to open up discussion of the two standard capacity offerings from the following manufacturers:

Magpul (GL9, 15 & 17rd)
ETS Group (15 & 17rd)

275RLTW

I've been practicing with the Glock mags more and more with zero issues. 15, 17, and 21 rds all work fine for me with approx 5K rounds through them.

jwood1284

Standard capacity Glock 17 & 19 magazines work very well--why mess with that?

Indeed they do, and I think that is the general consensus across the board. I have a box of them and that is what I use. The title of the thread is misleading, sorry. I should have titled the thread "aftermarket magazine discussion" :eek:. Like Jake mentioned, in his experience the cheaper mags are used at the range; factory on duty.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing not to like about factory mags. They're bomb proof, reliable, and the numbered windows best both Magpul and ETS. I'm just looking for some first hand experience on the alternatives other than the typical internet/youtube fodder.

PM07

Staff member
I have both Magpul and ETS Glock mags. The Magpul G17s are the 1st gen but I haven't had any problems with them using them in G34, 17, 19 and 26. The ETS mags are .40 cal but I only have about 300 rounds through them in a Gen 4 22. I use them strictly as training/range mags.

I have 4 of the Magpul Glock magazines, over the last year and a half of use they have worked perfectly for me. I use them in matches and in my range trips, that being said I only carry with factory Glock magazines. I think the Magpul mags are great for training though.

SCSU74

Ya, what Doc said... If you're looking for extra capacity the factory +2's work excellent.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
The Taran Tactical extension base plates also work well for adding capacity.

Joe R.

I've used the Magpul 17 and 21 round mags and the ETS 22 round mags with no issue. Yes, the Glock mags work, but (functional) options aren't a bad thing.

Darth Tater

The Taran Tactical extension base plates also work well for adding capacity.

I've been using them for my 3 gun gear (both Glock and AR) for several years and have never had a magazine failure. I put them on duty SWAT/uniform mags (G21) this past year and they've performed perfectly.

Taran is now making a dedicated Glock 19 baseplate due to some slightly different geometry between 17 and 19 mags.

Magpul- I have 4 which I used hard for about a year. 1 has failed and the other 3 are fine. Not sure what the failure is (spring or other) but is fails to feed every round. All in all they are good for range mags. The only other thing of note is they are VERY tight in both of my timberwolf frames (will not drop free) but no issues with OEM glock frames.
ETS mags- I bought 2 of the 22 rounders and noticed immediately that the body bowed at bit when loading to full 22 rounds but it didn't impact function. Just had to make sure and get a good push to seat it. That went on for a few months until I left them loaded for about 2 months without using. When I shot them after that the follower gets bound up every other round and doesn't feed. I tried shooting and reloading numerous times after that (in 5 different glocks) and eventually trashed them

sreidy

Amateur
Just picked up three ETS 22 round magazines to try out. Tried them for the first time two days ago at a Mike Pannone low light class. About have way through the day the springs crapped out and would have issues feeding. Mike has been using some 17 round versions for some time and said he has not had any issues, he suspects they have the same mag spring as the standard 17 round mag. I ordered some Wolff +10% springs to see if I can make them serviceable but so far I'm not impressed with the 22 rounders.

Boy Scout

Tagging for interest as well, I've been thinking about some 22 rounders for duty and found a good price for the ETS mags.

I bought a bunch of the Magpul 17 mags on sale last year ( 30+ ) and 10 or so of their 19 mags. It's all I use at the range now and have been for 9-10 months, maybe longer. No magazine related issues to speak of across any of them. My oldest 10 17 mags have borne the brunt of the work through 13 cases of 9mm year to date. I'll end up with another case downrange by the end of the year. I was happy to see their 21 rounders finally start shipping. After running 300 rounds each through two of them along with 50 or so rounds of service ammo, I'm using those two 21s as part of my edc set up. I may never buy another factory Glock magazine again.