Glock Issues

Here at my SO we carry the Glock 21 Gen 4 pistol. One of the Sgt's has developed an issue with his pistol. In Dec 2017 he came to me with a magazine that would drop the top round out when removing the mag from the weapon. The following round would pop into place. I replaced his magazine, marked the old one and put it in the training bin for future testing. Today, March 2018, he brought his pistol in with the same issue on the new magazine. This weapon is three or four years old, is decently maintained, and has not been abused. The slide stop lever appears to be okay, the magazine does not have any issues that I can find. What am I missing? Is it possible that he is doing something that is causing the issue? And has anyone else had this issue?

What is his load / unload procedure? Does he press check? If so, how and how often?

I carried a gen3 21 for several years before going back to a 17, the 21 had developed the known mag drop issue (sticky release). The 21's seem to have issues constantly.

The 21's seem to have issues constantly.
Really? You're the first person I've heard say that. Other than the ambi mag release that Glock recalled a decade or so ago, the only chronic G21 issues I've encountered or heard about are user error or magazines that are just plain worn out from use. In my experience the 21 has always been one of the best of the Glock line.

Wil, it's certainly possible (and likely) that your deputy is doing something to cause the issue, but hard to guess what that is. Maybe his press check involves pulling the slide back far enough to catch the extractor groove of the top round in the mag, and subsequently pushing that round up against the feed ramp when the slide closes. Ripping the magazine out of the gun at that point may stress the mag lips enough to cause issues over time.

You might verify that there isn't a burr on the ramp on the bottom of the slide.

Really? You're the first person I've heard say that. Other than the ambi mag release that Glock recalled a decade or so ago, the only chronic G21 issues I've encountered or heard about are user error or magazines that are just plain worn out from use. In my experience the 21 has always been one of the best of the Glock line.
slide.
I had a gen3 21 with the 1913 rail and ambi mag release which had a recall and I wasn't allowed to carry it after. I got a gen3 21 which had a similar issue.

We were issuing them for a little bit until many started shitting the bed in quals, breaking frames, accuracy issues stemming from cracking recoil springs, and this wasn't one or two, this was one or two hundred.

Then we heard the PA state police dumped the 21's (mix of gen3/4) and went to Sig's, so the decision to stop issuing them was made. Some guys have no issues. It was a very accurate gun.

The recalled frame with the ambi release (and 1913 rails on some) did have issues. I'm not sure it makes sense to correlate that to the rest of them though.

The recalled frame with the ambi release (and 1913 rails on some) did have issues. I'm not sure it makes sense to correlate that to the rest of them though.
I did not correlate anything, I simply posted my experience along with factual issues with two different (large) PD's who use 21's.

So in looking over the pistol in question, it appears that the grip may be twisted. The bottom of the mag well are looks like it is twisted just a bit. The Sgt in question is a very large fella, we're talking 6'5", and almost 400 lbs before he started dieting last year. I am wondering if his weight, over the years he has carried this pistol, could have twisted the polymer grip. It's not a egregious amount we're talking about here, but just enough that you can see it when it's pointed out and you look closely. Anyone ever heard of this.

So in looking over the pistol in question, it appears that the grip may be twisted. The bottom of the mag well are looks like it is twisted just a bit. The Sgt in question is a very large fella, we're talking 6'5", and almost 400 lbs before he started dieting last year. I am wondering if his weight, over the years he has carried this pistol, could have twisted the polymer grip. It's not a egregious amount we're talking about here, but just enough that you can see it when it's pointed out and you look closely. Anyone ever heard of this.
Yes. Once, but it was a 17 OCONUS in a very hot place and the guy wasn't that big.