Glock Gen 5 First Impressions with LOTS OF PICS

Grunow

Oh my gosh, I actually like my Gen 5 Glock 17. After reading all the comments from experts around here declaring the obvious failings of the Gen 5 Glocks, I expected today to pick up my new Glock 17 Gen 5 and be woefully disappointed. But ....

I love it.

Love the fact is has no finger grooves, humps and what not. SO much easier for me to grip and it feels GREAT.

Love the trigger. Definitely and noticeably less gritty, mushy and a crisper break and reset. If is HUGELY different, no, but ... every bit helps. I had the guys in the gun shop where I picked it up try it and one Glock fanatic in particular was particularly impressed. FWIW...again, nothing HUGELY better, but ... heck...nice.

I really like the new magazines, very easy to see the orange through the holes in the mag. Hope we can buy more soon.

The internals appear to be improved, the safety "plunger" looks much more robust.

The finish/coating on the slide is very nice. A nice rich black, rather than an anemic grey and the barrel appears to be treated comparably.

The front of the slide is nicely bevelled and while the critics (idiots!) here are declaring the frame not equally beveled, it looks great and just fine and dandy.

The RTF treatment on the grip is great, in fact, just about perfect in my opinion. I may or may not throw some Talon grips on it.

I purchased mine with Ameriglo Sights and they are GREAT...excellent front post width and rear sight width. For less than $100 bucks more, a good investment.

I've put together a HUGE photo album on Imgur if you want to take a look at it in detailed photos.

I noticed a few things:

The frame has a "tab" that fills/blocks a slot in the back of the slide, I used a Gen 3 Glock 17 for comparison's sake. You can see what I'm talking about in the photos.

Take a look at the photos, in a many of them I'm comparing this Gen 5 to a Gen 3 and I tried to show the difference in barrel rifling.

Click on this link to see this Glock 17 Gen 5 album, and you will notice a number of images where I'm comparing it to a Glock 17 Gen 3 model (in OD green).

https://imgur.com/a/OZegu

tylerw02

While there are definitely some improvements, I would like to see them moving a different direction with many of the changes. Either way I'm sure they will be quite successful because they say "Glock" on the side.

I've been seeing folks complaint of BTF already. I've got buddies trying to sell their Gen 3 and Gen 4s for these. Me, I just don't see the draw of ditching working guns for a new toy----especially if the reports of them not necessarily working with old holsters is true. If I had to buy new holsters, I would probably just abandon Glock and just shoot VP9s.

Unless it happens to where my old holsters will work with the new Glock, I would probably not buy one. I don't want to keep yet another spring around, few other parts interchange, the cut in the front, while a move in the right direction, is in the wrong spot and prevents use of a magwell.

It's just hard to be a Gen 3 with a grip reduction, grooves removed, a good stipple job, and a little love to the trigger. Springs are cheap to replace. I guess I'm turning into an old foagie like all the 1911 guys in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caomhin

Well, I do what I do to all Glocks and I did so the same to the Gen5 M19:

Apex Tactical Failure Resistant Extractor.

Never fired the Gen 5 with the OEM part. Don't care to. I read/heard that Glock modified the extractor.

The Apex FRE fits and the pistol with no issues.

Yes to the finger grooveless stock.

Yes to the W DLC coating over the Tenifer for the slide and barrel.

Yes to the kinda NY1/"-" connector trigger feel.

Yes to the slightly undercut trigger guard - though I further enhanced this a little bit.

Yes to the improved practical accuracy.

Yes to the Recoil Spring/pistol timing.

That hump in the rear is to keep the striker from chattering against the safety plunger