Glock: Faulty ejector causing stoppages in factory G17 Gen 4 (Resolved)

Draupner

As posted to P&S - Workbench on bookface:

My mom complained that her gen 4 Glock 17 had a weird ejection pattern (getting hit in the face by brass every other shot) and often stove piping. I tore it down and noticed that her Glock had a wildly different ejector compared to my Gen 4 G17. Mine is a year or so older and has been shot far harder and shows no such problems. Did Glock change their ejector or has hers been damaged in some magical way? Hers is the one with the beaver tail backstrap.

Turns out after a call to Austria and help from the network that early production run Gen 4s had a sub par ejector installed, part number 336 which is the gen 3 ejector. Fault was discovered and a new ejector was introduced, part number 30274.

Glock offered to replace it for free via a local dealer.

The part number is stamped into the right hand side of the ejector and is readable by simple removing the slide assembly from the frame.
52131c9b7c50620b0aa0ea32effab77e.jpg

357d6fb58cdd6996ea88a68743d31da8.jpg

Wake27

This was a common issue but I thought many people complained that even the 30274 ejector didn't fix it entirely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draupner

This was a common issue but I thought many people complained that even the 30274 ejector didn't fix it entirely?

I haven't heard. I shoot a gen 4 competitively with the new ejector and haven't had any issues.

Caomhin

One thing that I have found to work on a total of five (5) pistols is the following:

(1) use the proper ejector

(2) insure you have the latest recoil spring assembly - or the equivalent if you wish to run a SS guide rod.

Then install the APEX Failure Resistant Extractor.

I also replace the standard spring loaded bearing for the non-LCI spring Loaded Bearing (it's a little longer which gives more preload on the extractor).

Now I cannot vouch that this will work on 100% of Gen4 and Gen3 pistols but it has stopped the erratic ejection on five (5) of five (5) thus far.

Being an mechanical engineer I observed the following:

The extractor design does not lend itself to MIM as does a design with less geometry changes, tight radii, etc. If there is anything in the process that is not quite right then you are left with extractors like mine - they were "chewed the Hell up" at the 500 round mark.

Before the APEX kit was available I tried to increase extractor tension and there was a noticeable improvement but the pistol(s) were probably 1 failure to feed in 60 rounds and the ejection was all over the place with one coming in hot and fast right into my face once every 60 rounds.

It's not a lot of money and they should not HURT the pistol's performance.

Caomhin

It doesn't fix all of them. I think there is more to this than is readily perceived by most of us. The design may be a little marginal or sensitive to this phenomenal and some aspect of the design/production variance has some that probably will never eject like a SIG.

To be honest, some have installed ejector and Apex kits and it has not made the pistols reliable enough to use as primary defensive pistols.