Glock Aftermarket Trigger Durability and Reliability

tylerw02

After running a trigger from one of the big names which consists of a 7075 shoe, factory bar coated in NP3, on my EDC for nearly two years, I was finally getting used to it. It was well broken in. I shoot it about 200 rounds per week.

This past weekend, it failed. The trigger became very stiff and I was unable to depress the trigger. I racked the gun and pressed the trigger back again to feel very little resistance. Apparently the safety (dingus ?) had broken into two pieces and the spring had fallen out.

The vendor explained it "happens sometimes" due to "bad batches of aluminum with voids" in the alloy. I was instructed to send it back with a prepaid label, and a new trigger would be mailed to me upon receipt. Boy, was I glad I had the stock trigger in my parts bin.

While I loved the trigger and shoot much better with it, this breakage and the impression that this wasn't the first time it had happened has me concerned. My life-saving took failed in a major way, luckily during training. I'm second-guessing myself that the decision to install the trigger was a bad idea. I'd not seen a stock trigger fail in such a way. This trigger is from a major manufacturer which I've seen on many other members' pistols on this forum.

Am I safe reinstalling this trigger once it's been replaced? Who else has this happened to or is this an isolated incident? Is the "dingus" too small of a part to be made of brittle 7075 aluminum and better suited to be made of polymer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dopro587

From your numbers, the round count on that particular pistol is over 10,000, not including any dry fire training you may have done. Although I would not expect that kind of breakage on a trigger, I would still be ok with a part that lasts 10,000 rounds on a pistol that I personally don't expect to fire more than a few thousand a year, especially if it improves my performance.

I don't put my firearms through as high a firing schedule as you, but I have heard others recommend having a duplicate weapons for duty/carry and training. That way you can shoot the crap out of the training gun and fire the duty weapon periodically.

MojoNixon

Established
...Snip...
Is the "dingus" too small of a part to be made of brittle 7075 aluminum and better suited to be made of polymer?

The dingus seems like a low stress part so I would think 7075 or 6061 T6 would be more than adequate materials for use in this part. Polymer was probably used for financial reasons because you can make a 64 or more cavity mold and knock them out by the thousands relatively quickly compared to machining aluminum blanks. With aluminum you're going to need other processes (anodizing) whether Type II Class 2 color added or Type II Class 1, clear, no color added. This increases cost for a dingus compared to popping it out of a mold cavity and deburring it only.

tylerw02

I went ahead and installed the replacement and have run a few hundred through if and a few hundred dry fires.