Glock 19.3 Issue

Freedom Forged

WARLORD
I need some no BS help please. Which is why I'm posting here.

Agency 417 Comp
KKM Barrel
Trijicon RMR

Issue: Ejected cases are striking the glass of my RDS.

Replaced 336 Ejector with 30274 Ejector
Replaced OEM Recoil Spring
Replaced OEM Extractor Plunger with White Sound HRED Plunger

Still brass to the RMR

I Have heard that I need to shoot 124's and I will eventually switch to that but I have 4K 115's for now.

Thanks all.

Sounds like you've done most of the right things, but go ahead and replace the extractor as well. It's possible your extractor might just have a buildup of gunk, but the hook could be worn or chipped as well. Make sure it moves freely in the slide and that there are no burrs for it to drag against.

You should be able to shoot 115 gr or any other weight with no issue. Occasional contact with the right front edge of the aluminum RMR housing is normal, but you shouldn't have any contact with the glass.

I'm seeing a similar issue (no RMR but brass ejects backwards to the shooters face) on a buddy's G22 357 Sig setup, while mine of the exact same configuration is fine. Swapping my extractor into his slide cures the problem; hopefully that'll work for you too.

Freedom Forged

WARLORD
Sounds like you've done most of the right things, but go ahead and replace the extractor as well. It's possible your extractor might just have a buildup of gunk, but the hook could be worn or chipped as well. Make sure it moves freely in the slide and that there are no burrs for it to drag against.

You should be able to shoot 115 gr or any other weight with no issue. Occasional contact with the right front edge of the aluminum RMR housing is normal, but you shouldn't have any contact with the glass.

I'm seeing a similar issue (no RMR but brass ejects backwards to the shooters face) on a buddy's G22 357 Sig setup, while mine of the exact same configuration is fine. Swapping my extractor into his slide cures the problem; hopefully that'll work for you too.
Thanks, I went back to edit my post to say I had replaced the extractor with a new OEM one but the edit button had timed out. I will inspect it though. Thanks!

MojoNixon

My G19.3 with TBRC comp loves all flavors of 115 gr ammo so far. It especially loves 124 gr NATO Spec ammo. Both Winchester and PPU. It loves 147 gr standard pressure HST and AE9FP. Even with a 15 lb. RSA underpowered 147 gr Freedom Munitions ammo it hates with a passion. I have both a 13 and 11 lb. spring on the way to try.
Comps seem to me to love velocity and lots of it regardless of bullet weight.

If the 15lb spring doesn't fix it put in a standard barrel and see if it'll still eject into the glass.

KKM barrels have slight varying chamber geometry and may cause this.

Freedom Forged

WARLORD
If the 15lb spring doesn't fix it put in a standard barrel and see if it'll still eject into the glass.

KKM barrels have slight varying chamber geometry and may cause this.
Thanks @voodoo_man , I appreciate you responding. No one else I have communicated with has this issue, just my luck.

The 15lb spring made no difference at all. I did slo-mo video of the ejection port with the OEM spring and the 15lb IMSI and there was absolutely no difference. I removed the compensator and left the KKM barrel in and had no strikes to the RMR. I guess it could be the combination to the comp and what you mention about the KKM barrel. If I had access to a threaded Glock OEM barrel I'd give that a try with the comp but I don't want to buy one just to try it. I have also read to try an 13 or even a 11 pound spring. Since this is my carry gun I'm not willing to go that low. Some do I know but I don't want to risk an out of battery issue.

So, I am switching to 124grn ammunition to see if this stops the issue. Everyone I talk to says they shoot 124 or 147 with the comp. But, I have also had people tell me theirs shoot 115's just fine so IDK.

If the 124's don't fix the issue I'll have a comp for sale I guess.

Thoughts?

MojoNixon

I’m trying a 13 pound ISMI spring this week to try to remedy underpowered 147 gr. ammo. (900 FPS, maybe). If that doesn’t work I have an 11 pound spring to try. If either works it will be used only with said ammo. I’ll just swap RSA’s for that ammo and back to stock 18 pound for everything else. If neither works I’ve got 1000+ rounds for my LC9 and my sons non-comped G17. Then I’ll use Federal 147 gr. AE9FP or NATO Spec 124 gr. for training. WWB 115 gr. I have no issues with.
It’s like myself and others have mentioned: Comps love velocity and lots of it. For 147 gr ammo 1000 FPS seems to be the magic number. For 124 gr at or near 1200 FPS seems to be the number. For 115 gr. 1175 to 1250 FPS seems to be the number. This is for my set up with a SilencerCo barrel and TBRC comp on a G19.3 obviously YMMV.

It’s like myself and others have mentioned: Comps love velocity and lots of it.
Well, sorta but only as a byproduct. Comps work best with high muzzle pressure and high powder mass, and lower bullet weight. That usually translates to more velocity, but high velocity is not what makes them work. Some of it is about the type of powder used; you can have two loads at the same velocity, where one uses more powder (of a different type) and works the comp a lot better than the other. It's not as simple as just looking at the velocity of a load to determine how well it'll work the comp.

MojoNixon

Well, sorta but only as a byproduct. Comps work best with high muzzle pressure and high powder mass, and lower bullet weight. That usually translates to more velocity, but high velocity is not what makes them work. Some of it is about the type of powder used; you can have two loads at the same velocity, where one uses more powder (of a different type) and works the comp a lot better than the other. It's not as simple as just looking at the velocity of a load to determine how well it'll work the comp.
I wasn’t specifically referring to how well it will work the comp. I was referring to how well the gun will run with a comp without malfunctioning.

Freedom Forged

WARLORD
Well, I'm done trying to run the comp without ejected brass beating the shit out of the RMR. I'm not sure how everyone on this planet seems to not have this issue but I'm tired of trying to find a solution. If you have to work this hard to make it work and it still doesn't it's probably not a good idea. Springs, ejectors, extractors, 115+P, 124 NATO, 124+P = wasted money, not to mention frustration.

So, to all those who don't have the issue congratulations! Enjoy the benefits the comp brings!

MojoNixon

My 13 lb. IMSI spring didn’t solve my issues with the weak Freedom Munitions 147 gr. load. I may still try the 11 lb. spring but I’ll probably just relegate this ammo to my other non-comped blasters.

Freedom Forged

WARLORD
I tried the 11 pound spring as well @MojoNixon and while it did reduce the number of strikes to the RMR it by no means eliminated them.
Just for general information The pistol ran just fine with any change I made. I never had a cycling issue, ever. I just don't like the fact the brass is beating the hell out of the optic. I worked hard to buy it, my money doesn't come easy. I know the Trijicon RMR has a lifetime unconditional warranty and if it failed I could send it back to, I'm not willing to knowingly watch that happen one case at a time.

MojoNixon

I tried the 11 pound spring as well @MojoNixon and while it did reduce the number of strikes to the RMR it by no means eliminated them.
Just for general information The pistol ran just fine with any change I made. I never had a cycling issue, ever. I just don't like the fact the brass is beating the hell out of the optic. I worked hard to buy it, my money doesn't come easy. I know the Trijicon RMR has a lifetime unconditional warranty and if it failed I could send it back to, I'm not willing to knowingly watch that happen one case at a time.
I certainly understand where you’re coming from on this. My situation is just trying to make $200 worth of ammo function reliably in my comped G19 but ultimately it doesn’t really matter as I have alternative blasters to use that ammo in.

Freedom Forged

WARLORD
Removed the compensator and the strikes to the RMR stopped. With the comp 1 in 3 would strike the RMR. I guess no comp for me, it's not worth beating the shit out of my optic to have it.

MojoNixon

And I had an issue with WWB 115 gr. I had a baffle strike. Not sure if the projectile just came apart or I had a jacket separation but it definitely struck inside the comp. Took everything apart and noted no damage to the rifling and no obstructions so I put it all back together and drove on with no more issues. Not sure when it happened. I put 183 rounds down and didn’t hear or feel anything unusual. I just noticed the edges of the top port were silver’ish in color and knew “ that’s not right” everything functioned as it should once back together. So I’ll be paying real close attention now for anything weird.