Glock 17 MOS vs. Glock 45 MOS

jnc36rcpd

Apart from compatibility with my Glock 19 holsters, are there any objective reasons for choosing a Glock 45 MOS over a Glock 17 MOS or vice versa? Eith with be mounted with an RDS. Thanks and be safe.

tylerw02

The G45 with a comp keeps the x300U clean and fits G34 holsters.

The he slide velocity is faster on the G45 and returns the front sight faster. The G17 has a slightly slower slide velocity. If you add a comp, it’s longer overall. If you add an X300U, it carbons over the lens. Other than that, no positives I can think of for either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdgiii

One other of the G45 mos would be if the G19 you currently have is a gen 5 and irons only. You would then have the ability to carry a G45 or G19 with an optic, or a G45 or G19 with irons.

Skaster03

I had come to post a new topic, but I think my question fits here well.

I'm getting a new Glock for work (plain-clothes LE). I'm sold on Gen 5 MOS in 9mm, but stuck selecting a model. I currently carry a stock Gen 4 17. This new purchase will be specifically to upgrade to a red dot. Either acquired model will bear an X300U and a red dot (most likely a Holosun 507c) and will be carried on and off duty.

I borrowed a 19 and put a few hundred round into it, and I didn't care for it. The end of the grip and flared magwell presses too much into the meat of my palm (I have pretty big bear paws), and it was noticeably less controllable in strings of fire, especially out past 10 yards, compared to either the 45 loaner I was shooting or my 17. That limits me to the full-sized brethren. I was considering the 45 for the slight advantage in concealment, but it seems like any advantage gained in the shorter barrel will be negated by the light anyway. Then I thought I might as well go all the way and get a 34.

Guys who like the 34 usually see it as easier to shoot and better balanced. Guys who like the 45 usually see it as easier to shoot and better balanced. That makes me think this may be more of a preference issue? I've also seen theories that the lighter, shorter slide of the 45 allows for less felt recoil impulse and quicker reacquisition, then others suggesting that the heavier slide on the 34 slows down the reciprocation, making it feel less 'snappy' and getting you back on target quicker.

I'm starting to suspect that this really may come down to subjective perception issues. I got a loaner 34 and intend to go shoot it next to the 45 tomorrow, but I'm curious - if you have experience with both or either, what would you choose, and why?

tylerw02

I had come to post a new topic, but I think my question fits here well.

I'm getting a new Glock for work (plain-clothes LE). I'm sold on Gen 5 MOS in 9mm, but stuck selecting a model. I currently carry a stock Gen 4 17. This new purchase will be specifically to upgrade to a red dot. Either acquired model will bear an X300U and a red dot (most likely a Holosun 507c) and will be carried on and off duty.

I borrowed a 19 and put a few hundred round into it, and I didn't care for it. The end of the grip and flared magwell presses too much into the meat of my palm (I have pretty big bear paws), and it was noticeably less controllable in strings of fire, especially out past 10 yards, compared to either the 45 loaner I was shooting or my 17. That limits me to the full-sized brethren. I was considering the 45 for the slight advantage in concealment, but it seems like any advantage gained in the shorter barrel will be negated by the light anyway. Then I thought I might as well go all the way and get a 34.

Guys who like the 34 usually see it as easier to shoot and better balanced. Guys who like the 45 usually see it as easier to shoot and better balanced. That makes me think this may be more of a preference issue? I've also seen theories that the lighter, shorter slide of the 45 allows for less felt recoil impulse and quicker reacquisition, then others suggesting that the heavier slide on the 34 slows down the reciprocation, making it feel less 'snappy' and getting you back on target quicker.

I'm starting to suspect that this really may come down to subjective perception issues. I got a loaner 34 and intend to go shoot it next to the 45 tomorrow, but I'm curious - if you have experience with both or either, what would you choose, and why?

In my experience with the two models, what I’ve noticed is the G45 seems to cycle faster. Same ammo, the gun seems harsher coming out of battery and to the rear. Going back into battery, the impulse is softer and doesn’t feel as though the muzzle dips as much. I feel that the sights are back on target sooner.

With the G34, the slide coming unlocked is less harsh. The slide coming to the rear of travel is softer and slower. The slide slams home with more authority and disrupts the sight picture slightly more with more wiggle and muzzle dip.

It’s a minute difference, but a difference nonetheless. That is the best way I know to describe it. Some prefer the softer impulse of the slide traveling to the rear, while others prefer the less harsh return to battery.

Myself, I prefer the fast cycle of the G45. I’ve all but shelved my G34 since acquiring a G45 at launch and having it milled. When using a dot, I just don’t see a need for a G34 unless it’s to keep the flash light clean, which a comp’ed 45 does as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth Thompson

I have a G17 MOS and a G45 MOS- both with Trijicon RMR's. One has the Glock plate (I know, it's on the replacement list) and the other has a C&H Precision V3 plate.

After shooting both quite a bit, I've come to prefer the G45. I find it easier to track the dot on the G45 in recoil. I know the cycle time is only marginally faster but subjectively, the G45 "feels" like it's coming back on target faster. If it were an either/or decision, I'd personally take the G45.

MarshRat

I carried a Gen 3 17 and was in the same situation as you deciding what to do when getting a Gen 5.

I ended up with the G45 MOS and couldn’t be happier. I think the whole felt recoil thing is just ever so slightly but I do feel as if the 45 doesn’t disrupt sight picture as much as a true full size pistol. I don’t think you can go wrong with either though.

Seth Thompson

The G45 seems to be in that "just right" zone, dimension-wise. Big enough to fill a "duty" or "service" pistol role, small enough to carry concealed in a practical way.

MarshRat

Coming from the Gen 3 17 and 19 I had the same questions, ended up getting the G45 and am very happy. Make sure to get a quality optic plate and you’ll be set. I’m patiently waiting to replace my RMR with the ACRO P-2

Seth Thompson

I like the G45 MOS so much, I just bought another. Plus, it seemed to make sense to have a second one, in case of catastrophic breakage that requires a return to the factory or God forbid, my primary has to spend eighteen months or more at the state crime lab after a shooting.

Must resist the urge to try another optic/mount combination on this gun, just out of curiosity...