Gen 4 Glock 19 Trigger bar wear.

Joe _K

Established
So there I was visiting my local cool guy tac shop, and see an Apex flat trigger kit hanging from the wall behind the counter, ask the shop owner and the Smith working whad'ya think of it?

Both of them sing the praises of Apex triggers, (I know right a business man talking up a sale) proceed to let me finger bang one of their Gen 4 G 22's with the same Apex trigger installed.

Sweet, buttery smooth, clean break, just a little bit of takeup, and a better reset than an outgoing Obama administration.

I tell them I'll take it, the Smith does the install, tests it, says "holy shnikes this is terrible" then hands it to me, I have worked with horrendous triggers before, this was like trying to rack a
Ma' - Duece with a pinkie toe level bad.
I look at him like, what did you do to my baby man!

Mr. Smith pulls it apart and starts checking parts, turns out the trigger bar is worn out beyond hope, I'm talking rounded over through the surface hardening, looks like the monkeys at Century Arms International used it as a screwdriver worn out, and so was the safety plunger.

Smith looks up at me and says "explain Mr. Dremel gunsmith" I go "not me man, haven't touched the internals with anything heavier than an AP brush and a rag!"

Now this is a Glock I bought in 2014, and has been my do everything pistol, I don't have maintenance/round count logs on it, (something I'm doing now, albeit with crayons)
Only parts I've replaced where the RSA once, the sights, and had the trigger guard undercut, and finger grooves sanded off.

This 19 has shot every form of 9mm ball and duty rated loads through it imaginable short of tracers, and on average from early 2014 to today have put roughly 50 rounds a day through it. Someone who passed the Math for Marines MCI on the 6th try or better can figure that one out, I don't have the scars, freckles, appendages, or digits to divide that high.

Long story longer, I bought the trigger, had the Smith put back the original everything in the 19, ordered a new Gen 4 trigger bar from Lone Wolf and will get that, the Apex trigger, and a Apex safety plunger installed on Thursday or Friday.

What gives?
Bad part(s)?
Marine breaky gun?
Bad luck?
Should replace trigger bar and plunger as often as the RSA?
Don't buy factory parts for it, get upgraded internals?

And is anyone against the flat Apex triggers for CCW, HD, Range, Class use for any reason?

Lone Wolf, good, bad, doesn't matter trigger bars?

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Joe _K

Established
48789cd6c259741e753e3f5d980ffe31.jpg
daf53a08a8546ee2f22b612054ad98e5.jpg
7669a7b785b376dfd9f7ac15ea2ac6e8.jpg
ce013132cf8234b711870791ac9dac61.jpg
8e2d26c3b515c2ae762488185367b2dc.jpg
587a5035e657580578e8f0f03f33aa42.jpg

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Longeye

Established
Folksy as your story is, I had a hard time following it.
Did the Apex kit feature just the flat face trigger? Was that the only part that was changed?

The Apex kit that I bought for my G22 Gen 4 included the flat trigger, Gen 3 trigger bar, and Ultimate Striker Block. It is an improvement over factory parts and has been fully reliable in the few months I have been using it.
Sample of one, but I am calling it duty ready.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chrischris

Amateur
I'm no Glock expert but I don't see anything wrong... I would buy a Gen3 trigger and be done with it. You should also read the top thread about how to make your Glock rock and polish the components.

Longeye

Established
One of the keys is using a factory Gen 3 trigger bar in the Gen 4 guns. This holds true regardless of whether you use the factory trigger or the Apex flat face.
I would tend to choose factory parts over Lone Wolf.

Joe _K

Established
Folksy as your story is, I had a hard time following it.
Did the Apex kit feature just the flat face trigger? Was that the only part that was changed?

The Apex kit that I bought for my G22 Gen 4 included the flat trigger, Gen 3 trigger bar, and Ultimate Striker Block. It is an improvement over factory parts and has been fully reliable in the few months I have been using it.
Sample of one, but I am calling it duty ready.

Just the flat face trigger. Good info on the Gen 3 trigger bar.

I was bored and made the story a bit longer than it needed to be.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Longeye

Established
Copy. The whole kit will make a nice difference. Just the flat face trigger is pretty much cosmetic.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
How do you wear out the trigger bar?

When he put it back to the pre-existing setup did it work as it did previously?

ODie

When Apex first released the trigger, I bought one from Brownells, popped off the OEM trigger and used the trigger bar that had been previously in my Gen 4 19. It was terrible and it created a dead gun. I called Apex, had some emails back and forth with them insisting that their trigger was compatible in a Gen 4 19 with a Gen 4 trigger bar. They sent me a second one and took in my old one to see what was going on. Second one performed the same as the original, with me sending it to Brownells for a refund. A couple weeks later, I got an email from Apex stating that they discovered the Gen 4 trigger bar wouldn't work and I needed to use a Gen 3 trigger bar in my Gen 4 Glock 19 for it to work properly. Long story short, I ended up receiving an Apex with a Gen 3 trigger bar already installed, and it worked fine. That was back in November of 2015.

Joe _K

Established
How do you wear out the trigger bar?

When he put it back to the pre-existing setup did it work as it did previously?
It works with all the original parts, but the trigger does display some issues.

Me not being a trigger snob, I didn't feel any issues with it slowly developing over the past 2 years.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi