Gen 4 G19 mod

Tracer

Amateur
Gents
So the planets aligned and I finally purchased a G19 gen 4. But, now I have a question about the grip pieces. So I have smaller hands and like the grip without any of the attachments. I would almost go with the Med back piece that has the (beaver tail) flare at the top. The reason I like this, is because it mimicks the feel of my M9 from work. But then again, my G17 (gen 3?) doesn't have that flare at the back top of the grip, and had shot with it just fine.

So the flared top portion, is it really needed? I had seen after market pieces on pistols (just the flared piece). If it is a suggested option, is it practicle to chop off the flared top of the back of the grip and snap it on, there by keeping the grip as slim as possible and getting the flared (beaver tail?)?

I'm not set on the flared part, but I am more comfortable with the grip being a lil bit thinner. HH6 seems to like the grip without any of the back straps attached as well.

Thoughts? - Yes, I believe it to be suggested going out to the range and shooting a bit with the grip piece on and off, just trying to figure what I can and save some ammo (not able to buy some so often now adays).

Thank you in advance.

Rilimva

Amateur
Keep it without an additional backstrap, other than what you already mentioned it will allow you to get a higher grip on the gun, which is always a good thing in my book.

back spin

Amateur
A good pre-check is figuring out what grip allows you to point the gun most naturally. Don't worry about mimicking the grip of an M9 or a Gen3 G17, because it's a different gun and interacts with your hand differently.

Don't fall in the trap of what "feels" better, go with what allows you to handle/shoot the gun better.

I have small hands too (Size 8 gloves). I recently got a Gen4 G17. I was excited about the slimmer grip when no backstraps are used, which felt good in hand. But when I drew the gun in dry practice, the gun felt like it was swimming in my hand when I came to full presentation. I constantly had to make small corrections in my sight picture.

On a whim I eventually tried the large backstrap. Surprisingly, the large piece allowed me to point the gun on target with less effort than the other setups. It didn't "feel" good until I practiced enough. Now it feels normal.