Gear tips - The small things

22F

Staff member
Cross posted from Farcebook for prosperity.

We all have those small, seemingly insignificant little things with our gear that often makes life easier or more comfortable.

Sometimes, that small thing can inspire others because it may not be widely realized or known.

Best example I have is my boot laces.
Nowadays, I tie three Figure Eight knot’s in my laces. One in the middle to prevent slippage, and one at each end to prevent the lace from slipping out of the eyelets and save me time whilst tightening up my boots.

From the photos, it can also be observed I also have two surgeons knots at the junction point of my ankle/foot.
These surgeons knots allow different tension zones in my boot.
Normally, I like it slightly loose in the foot, and tight in the ankle. These two surgeons knots allow that change without using locking eyelets.

I’m actually not a fan of locking eyelets on my boots, because they always seem to be the first point of mechanical failure, and can fray or cut laces at the most inopportune times.

So, what are your little tricks on gear?

4009B0BE-E47A-4777-BBCC-B1921F7CA82B.jpeg

Attachments

• 34A51004-01F6-4456-9E26-BAAC1E073FF4.jpeg
    34A51004-01F6-4456-9E26-BAAC1E073FF4.jpeg
    884 KB · Views: 15
  • B91CE82D-ECB7-44EF-AD26-57AF180F0933.jpeg
    B91CE82D-ECB7-44EF-AD26-57AF180F0933.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Smith

Regarding laces, many boots or shoes in general come with shitty laces that rip or fray very quickly. I buy these rubbery laces apparently made from car tires. They're slightly elastic and so let you make a super tight knot, and they last for years.

My big issue is that I'm always too tentative when buying gear. So I buy shitty quality stuff and then have to replace it a few months later.

When I first bought a gun I got the non-electronic earmuffs because I wasn't sure I'd shoot a lot or go to classes. Then I eventually had to admit they were impractical and buy the electronic ones. So now I spent more money and have the old pair lying around. I made the same mistake with holster, cleaning kit, WML.. I even bought 1,000 rounds of reloaded ammo once to save money. At least I got really good at clearing malfunctions, lol. Could barely go through a magazine without a malfunction, whereas I can go through 1,000rds of factory without cleaning the gun and get no hiccups.

At this point I'm fairly convinced you should only buy quality gear when it comes to shooting accessories, you'll save money within months over going cheap.

Regarding laces, many boots or shoes in general come with shitty laces that rip or fray very quickly. I buy these rubbery laces apparently made from car tires. They're slightly elastic and so let you make a super tight knot, and they last for years.

My big issue is that I'm always too tentative when buying gear. So I buy shitty quality stuff and then have to replace it a few months later.

When I first bought a gun I got the non-electronic earmuffs because I wasn't sure I'd shoot a lot or go to classes. Then I eventually had to admit they were impractical and buy the electronic ones. So now I spent more money and have the old pair lying around. I made the same mistake with holster, cleaning kit, WML.. I even bought 1,000 rounds of reloaded ammo once to save money. At least I got really good at clearing malfunctions, lol. Could barely go through a magazine without a malfunction, whereas I can go through 1,000rds of factory without cleaning the gun and get no hiccups.

At this point I'm fairly convinced you should only buy quality gear when it comes to shooting accessories, you'll save money within months over going cheap.
Smith, I’m always on a budget and can relate to the tension you describe. Lately I’ve tried to purchase gear that I know I could resell. If it’s used then that’s even better. That way if I buy it and don’t use it I can just sell it and recoup some (or all) of that initial investment. If I keep it I have a quality product.

HighTower

Laces (universal); I tie a knot at the bottom over the toe line, so my laces are always held to the same length.

A barrel loc at the tie end of my laces, I leave my boots loose when off so when putting them on i just sinch down with the barrel loc and my laces always re tighten to the exact spot. Excess length gets tucked in.

Extra things (NG specific) the National guard suffers from length of time between training drills and some times distance from a PX or Shop, minor uniform items in spares (boot bands, rank badges and pins) to small things (gloves and beenies) to medium things (jackets) that are in supply but under lock and key, having loaners ready for your... less mindful, members of your team, keeps operations going. (Think the Company Sergeant who has a duffle of spare gear, but on a smaller level)

Brookser

So, what are your little tricks on gear?
On most of my jackets used for camping, i attached a small pocket on the inside completely shut(you gotta tear it open basically) with a pack of matches in waterproof plastic. Basically a complete emergency fire source in case I get stuck in the woods with no other fire source. I don't know if it's actually going to be useful, but it makes me feel safer at least