Gas regulating with suppressors

Farmboy20

Question for the group what are gas regulation options for when u suppress your ARs? I have a 12.5 triarc upper that i love how it is gassed un suppressed but when suppressed I’m getting gas in the face pretty hard (disclaimer I’m the fabled lefty so I’m sure I experience it worse that normal people.) my gun store buddy suggested a gas block but triarc so good out of the factory i have reservations about messing with it especially when i don’t have a nearby armory that i trust to take everything apart and put back together correctly. But I’m open to suggestions.

Fellow lefty here. I’ve tried a few things that have really helped with gas to the face. The instant fix is to run an OSS can, but that’s quite the investment.

The black river tactical ez tune gas tubes are a great start and I prefer them from a reliability standpoint over an adjustable gas block. http://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Adjustable-Gas-Drive-c6464009

Also the silicone charging handle trick works great. http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle

Switching to an A5 buffer system has helped as well.

Arete

The issue is that if the gun will run reliably unsuppressed, it's going to be overpassed a bit. This will mean it's overgassed when suppressed.

For over 5 yrs been using adjustable bolt carriers (Gemtech and Bootleg) and have had very good results. The excess gas vents to 3:00 and does not bother me even when I shoot left handed, even when I put my face much farther forward than I normally would.

Also recently started using a BRT EZ tune gas tube, in conjunction with an adjustable bolt carrier.

One recommendation with the BRT is to buy with the GP smaller than recommended for your application and then drill it progressively larger until the gas is the way you want it.

AGBs present a multitude of failure points.

There is a lot to be said for setting up a gun to run suppressed only.

SmElly

Question for the group what are gas regulation options for when u suppress your ARs? I have a 12.5 triarc upper that i love how it is gassed un suppressed but when suppressed I’m getting gas in the face pretty hard (disclaimer I’m the fabled lefty so I’m sure I experience it worse that normal people.) my gun store buddy suggested a gas block but triarc so good out of the factory i have reservations about messing with it especially when i don’t have a nearby armory that i trust to take everything apart and put back together correctly. But I’m open to suggestions.
What can? What ammo?

To my knowledge, the Triarc 12.5s are mid length w/ a .076 port. Should be gassed pretty conservatively.

Gabe

Another lefty as well. Along with the black river tactical gas tube, I converted to a stag left hand upper. It was a game changer.

Cgarcia

Start with a barrel optimized for suppressor use if possible. The manufacturer should provide the gas port diameter for you.
If not I would look elsewhere.
A5 buffer system helps widen the operating envelope the gun will run reliably within with side benefits.
Geissele, Badger, PRI, SOLGW, and BCM charging handles have a lip that helps to deflect gas away from your face.
The AR Gas Vent is another possible option but I have no experience with one only secondhand info from friends who say it works well on their guns.
Adjustable gas blocks are something to avoid on defensive or duty guns as a general rule.
Aforementioned BRT gas tubes and gas block inserts also have their place.
I am also a lefty and shoot suppressed occasionally.

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Established
Vendor
VIP
When using baffle stack type suppressors you can get a lot of back pressure. This back pressure can often lead to a blast back into your face, this can be an issue for people that wear contacts or have had eye surgery and have dry eyes to begin with.

As already mentioned the OSS suppressors with the flow through technology will eliminate this issue, as it is a totally different system. After trying these on our more eye sensitive staff, we were impressed with the difference in performance, so we switched out all of our Officers to OSS Helix full sized units.

As for what to do with what you have? I would suggest that you could try adding some heavier buffers, and heavier resistance action springs (buffer springs), and see if this helps. As already mentioned above, you can try using a little gasket sealant on the back of the charging handle right at the top where it mates with the upper receiver. You could also add one of the forward assist gas diverter vents.

You can try something like the PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
1642390038152.png

or the Radian Raptor Charging Handle
1642390103913.png

We have done okay with adjustable gas blocks. We have experienced issues with the adjustment screws moving and coming out of adjustment, I'm not sure if this is from the vibration of shooting or from being bounced around in a vehicle all day, or a combination of both.

Another option is the RifleSpeed Gas Control System. We have been using them for almost a year, and it is impressive and durable. It has 12 gas settings, and all you need to do is dial up or down until you find the setting that you need. So far I have ran this system on barrels down to 11.5" and as long as 24" for both .223 & 5.56, and I have also ran it on an 18" and 20" AR308, and all ran well. We have had several students in the Armorer courses we teach show up with them, and all have had great things to say about them, the latest was on a 18" 6.5 Creedmore, who stated it tamed the rifle down incredibly.

1642389151826.png
Here is a video of the system:

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

Farmboy20

Thanks for all the feed back so far and to answer the question of ammo and can it’s mostly 5.56 ammo freedom munitions cm198 with a sandman S can

Farmboy20

Update here after much looking and digging and some testing I’ve found a bcg that is working great as of rn. The bootleg adjustable bcg is the shit from what little time I’ve had with it, it awesome for getting rid of that gas out of ur face! And it works great as a regular bcg also! So lefty’s or anyone if u got suppress guns and got gas in the face problems I’d highly recommend u take a good look at it!