Gas Masks

Spartan117

Amateur
Fellas,

I work for a small agency that is putting together a small part-time team.

On "SITREP 7- SWAT" Roland recommends AVON masks but doesn't specify which model is a good mask.

Looking online it looks like the AVON PC50 would be a good option because it's CS/CN only and not CBRN (We'll call someone else for CBRN) I was quoted $270ish

If you guys are using something different please let me know and let me know if it's something I should check out or not.

Thanks

jnelson

CBRN Guy
Do not buy the PC50, unless you are standing up a prison/jail ERT, and even then you are going to want a CBRN certified mask.

What is your budget and how are you funding the purchase?

Spartan117

Amateur
Do not buy the PC50, unless you are standing up a prison/jail ERT, and even then you are going to want a CBRN certified mask.

What is your budget and how are you funding the purchase?

Budget isn't an issue because we have salary savings and the Chief is pushing to have the team. That being said, if there's a grant I can apply for I'm all ears.

Roger that on the CBRN (I don't know what I don't know).

Then I guess instead of the PC50 I'd be looking at the C50.

jnelson

CBRN Guy
When it comes to CBRN masks there are lots of options and variables, some good, some mediocre and some bad. The C50 is a solid choice and depending on your timeline, the AirBoss LBM is an even better choice. These two should be at the top of anyone's list that is looking to purchase new masks.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
So you want to think about the modularity of your pro mask with your shooting system. Actually you should be thinking of that for anything that you get , it should build around your shooting platform.

So with that the Avon mask have a design that allows for a real good check weld while firing a shoulder fired weapon. Think of 40mm launchers or your M4. Next you need to think about other capabilities as far as helmets and night vision interface. From my experience Avon is the only mask that has the design to utilize head mounted nods. I understand and will be evaluating an AirBoss which is reported to interface with cheek weld and nods also.

You want CBRN capability. Today LE needs to be thinking more about domestic and international terrorism and the threats CONUS.

Lastly,as a former K9 guy. I am a fan of the mask that have the capability of adding on or procuring directly the electronic voicemitter. It worked well when needing to communicate with dogs, suspects or citizens. You also want a comms system that interfaces with the mask for tactical operations.

Spartan117

Amateur
Solid info guys!

Interacting with the weapons and NODS are what I want.

I plan to procure the electronic "voice boxes" also.

Thanks again for all the help!

Rabbit

With the C50 is there still a need for a high optic mount? Our team uses the MSA millennium. No compatibility with NODs and sucks to shoot with a rifle. There's really no way to see your red dot on a standard height mount while shouldered. I end up running my stock full out and holding my rifle with a 45 degree cant with little support if i need the optic. For CQC i use my support and index finger and point at what i want to hit in lieu of optic. Works fine for that except i wouldn't take a HR shot that way.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
Rabbit.....You can run a 50 or 53 style mask with a standard 1.5 or 1/3 mount. BUT, they are not as optimal as using either a riser or a 1.93.

Spartan117

Amateur
With the C50 is there still a need for a high optic mount?

I came across SPUHR mounts and found that they make a custom 41mm high mount for FBI HRT. Anyone have any experience with this mount? Seems to be built like a tank!

Also,
I've started getting quotes on the FM53 mask but I have a quick question. Do I want the single port or the double port? I'm under the impression that the single port will give me a better checkweld so that is the model that I want. Am I correct in this reasoning?