Gas Mask Firearms Training

Darth Tater

It seems like every bit of training I've done in my professional career involving shooting in a gas mask was a really fast "now let's do it for familiarization then take off the suck mask".

Since my most challenging shots at work will likely be in a gas mask, I'm endeavoring to train more in it and train my guys in it. I had an impromptu 90 minute range session with one of my guys today. I wanted to run my progression past the seasoned pros here for input.

I ran two drills with pistol and subgun: FAST and a 100 point B8 at 15 yards. Note: he is "ok for a cop" (he sucks), and I'm working to grow his proficiency. I shot each of these with him.

FAST-
Pistol, 3 runs. Focus on draw stroke, acceptable sight picture, reload mechanics, and shifting gears/speed.
Gas mask pistol- 3 runs. Same focus.
UMP, 4 runs. Focus on sight offset, acceptable sight picture, safety manipulation, and reload mechanics.
Gas mask UMP, 3 runs. Same focus.

15 yard B8 (10 rds)-
Pistol- 2 runs. Focus: suck less.
Gas mask pistol- 2 runs. Same focus.
UMP- 2 runs.
Gas mask UMP- 1 run (ran out of time for a second).

Essentially I'm looking to build familiarity with the drill performance and expectations/mechanics, then validate that it can be performed on demand in a gas mask in the sun and heat. What say you? Decent approach? Is there a better mouse trap?

Jamie

We run quals in gas masks, seems to help put things in perspective. We've run some sim round force on force stuff and you would be surprised how many "seasoned" guys trip when you throw masks plus furniture in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KUTF

Our SWAT quals for both pistol and carbine include several courses of fire with a chemical agent mask. Patrol has done familiarization shooting in masks although the patrol duty qual does not include mask use.

Want to get people used to shooting in a mask - don't let them take it off or break-seal between drills or while stuffing magazines, etc. Make them spend some time in it.

Darth Tater

Want to get people used to shooting in a mask - don't let them take it off or break-seal between drills or while stuffing magazines, etc. Make them spend some time in it.

Our entire agency did fam fire with pistol/shotgun in masks a year ago in in-service training. That doesn't really count in my book though.

I agree 110% on staying masked up during mask time. That's how I'm doing it now.

JCSpringer

Our agency also did a fam fire during inservice following an OIS where dude was spraying pepper spray in a theater. Not enough department wide. I mow the lawn in one and as always get my freedom on at DARC.

Fatboy

Established
We shoot in masks for qualifying at the team level. Patrol does not. I would love to see that change, but ultimately there are only so many hills I can charge up to die on when begging for training time or money.
My question is when you're in the mask, what sights are you using on your guns? Lasers, optics, Irons, etc? Also, have you worked any weak side shooting to show how the canister will interfere with proper mounting of the weapon, especially with long gun?
As far as wearing it to be comfy, I agree that you should wear it long enough that you forget it's there and that you can adjust it to fit perfectly so there aren't any hot spots for future use.