Foundation Thread: First Training Recommendations

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I am slowly going through the Foundations posts on Facebook, condensing the information down to eliminate duplicate answers and derp, and re-posting them here on the forum. Hopefully this will be useful for someone who wants the down low on the basics.

Matt: "If you were to introduce someone to their first firearms training, what company or program would you recommend? Why?"

Barry Peterson I think that for new shooters/first-timers, finding a local training option is probably best, at least in the sense of helping them ease into the shooting world. Newbies may be nervous, or uncomfortable, or just not sure about what to actually expect. There's a certain comfort factor from knowing that at the end of the day the new shooters get to go home, or to their favorite watering hole, or whatever to unwind.
But...if someone comes to me and says "I'm new to shooting but I'm committed to learning from the best and money/time/travel is no issue," I'll steer them towards Steve Fisher or Scott Jedlinski or some other vetted instructor, depending on what type of shooting they want to focus on (pistols, rifles, concealed carry, etc).

Daniel De Laney Matt Landfair There are numerous potential barriers between a new shooter and their first class. Cost, gear, time, ego, uncertainty. Why add travel to the list of challenges?

The bulk of the comments were recommending trainers that were either nationally known and travel around the country, or those who are more local, and would be good options for people looking to stay local. To effectively use the forum to find training opportunities, I would check the regional sub-forums that are appropriate for your area, and ask if there is anything coming up. Even in places like Utah which me and Matt and many others have talked about being a challenge due to the lack of training opportunities, there are still plenty of options, especially if you are willing to drive a few hours to get to a class.