FN Tac 2

Any one have experience with a Tac2? I’ve only seen limited reviews on them. On a P&S podcast, I can’t remember which one but I believe it was an older one where they were talking about KAC where one of the moderators said it was the best AR under $1500. If so why?
Thanks

marcusa

1. FN generally has a good reputation for quality
2. FN has a good reputation as a barrel manufacturer, and the Tac II has a cold hammer forged, chrome lined barrel which is also free floating. I've had MOA or better out of some similar FN barrels.
3. The wedge-lock type rail is a nice upgrade and is a very rigid and reasonably light design.
4. Other details that are worth mentioning are the mid-length gas system, H1 buffer as standard and 3-prong FH.

I don't have experience with the Tac II itself but if I were in the market for a quality DI rifle in that price range it would be at the top of my list.

I’m not sure if I worded my initial post correctly. I know the parts FN has. I guess I’m asking what makes it better, if it is, than say a Sionics, BCM or a SOLGW, Modern Armory....
I know FN’s reputation for barrels. Is there any documented data that shows a CLHF barrel lasts longer or is more durable compared to a non HF 4150 Nitrided barrel.
Sionics and others use SpringCo springs so win for them in that department. I’m pretty sure FN does not.
FN pins the gas block and the others use knurled set screws, pinning is an option if you order from them. I’d say win for FN
Wedge lock rail vs Pinch lock? I’m not sure there since they are made from the same materials 6061. Initially I thought the wedge lock in the FN was 7075 but after contacting them and Zev (I believe they make the wedge locks for everyone) they make theirs out of 6k aluminum) The Hodge is 7k but rarely available.
Trigger I would say Sionics and the others win there since that are tuned ALG type triggers.
I might be answering my own post, LOL...
with all that said what would make one better than the other?

Having a hard time choosing between the ones mentioned and Centurion.. From the research I’ve done I would consider all those “duty grade”. What would make one better than the other? if they are.

pointblank4445

Established
Chrome v. nitriding from a mfg:
https://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequenty-asked-questions-nitride-vs-chrome-lined/

Per a conversation with Jim Hodge, the only wedge locks that are 7075 are his, Mega (not the Zev). Even though the FN's have the same hole pattern and look the most like a Hodge, Jim advised they are not 7075. Take that for what it's worth.

FWIW, I like the FN for the barreled receiver (the rail, the CHF barrel and pinned block) as that's the hard part. No idea what they are running under the hood for BCG, springs, buffer, etc.

SmElly

I’m not sure if I worded my initial post correctly. I know the parts FN has. I guess I’m asking what makes it better, if it is, than say a Sionics, BCM or a SOLGW, Modern Armory....
I know FN’s reputation for barrels. Is there any documented data that shows a CLHF barrel lasts longer or is more durable compared to a non HF 4150 Nitrided barrel.
Sionics and others use SpringCo springs so win for them in that department. I’m pretty sure FN does not.
FN pins the gas block and the others use knurled set screws, pinning is an option if you order from them. I’d say win for FN
Wedge lock rail vs Pinch lock? I’m not sure there since they are made from the same materials 6061. Initially I thought the wedge lock in the FN was 7075 but after contacting them and Zev (I believe they make the wedge locks for everyone) they make theirs out of 6k aluminum) The Hodge is 7k but rarely available.
Trigger I would say Sionics and the others win there since that are tuned ALG type triggers.
I might be answering my own post, LOL...
with all that said what would make one better than the other?

Having a hard time choosing between the ones mentioned and Centurion.. From the research I’ve done I would consider all those “duty grade”. What would make one better than the other? if they are.
Recalling discussion from podcasts from SMEs and some non SME members in the discord chat, the allure of the TAC II is the price/accuracy ratio. Youre getting a fat, well specced barrel that'll be more accurate than an average chrome molly barrel (ie SOLGW, SIONICS, BCM, etc.)

Trade off in my (non qualified) opinion is that the TAC II appears a good bit heavier than the aforementioned competition (due to the beefy barrel and rail). It also appears to come with a non QD endplate and a bare bones mil spec trigger.

Well, I’ll find out tomorrow. The specs on the web site say 6.7lbs I would think that’s Gov profile. If it’s a bit on the heavier side even better. As far as the BCG I’m not sure but hopefully it’s off of the same line as the M4/M16’s, I remember reading somewhere that it was but I also saw some info saying F marked BCG’s from FN are contracted from Toolcraft and FN marked ones are from FN but I’m not sure. As long as they are as good as “mil-spec”/old colts, I’ll take it. I’m thinking of trying to send the BCG to Chad and have it Gauged for the heck of it and I’m curious.

Rifle is in. Didn’t have time to post pictures. I’ll try to take some this week and take it to the range next week. Just from messing with it at home and not shooting it overall I’m happy with it. I’d say 8/10 as is from the factory.

One of the two things I didn’t like is that the safety detent isn’t very positive. It’s pretty mushy. Not a deal breaker more of a personal preference.

The other I’m not sure what to think. The extractor spring just falls off if I take the bolt apart. It has the doughnut and the rifle was test fired or at least the BCG and since the spring is some what captured I don’t think it will affect function, I was planning on replacing it with a SprincCo but that might now be sooner than later.

They do use the anti rotation pin and I believe the the barrel is aluminum.

Just from dry fire the trigger actually feels pretty crisp. Heavier but just as crisp as my ALG.

It’s going to get a 1-6 but the old aimpoint will do for now.

Attachments

• D6F1A4F1-AC7E-4BC4-9004-EBCD3C691E62.jpeg
    D6F1A4F1-AC7E-4BC4-9004-EBCD3C691E62.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 665D804C-34A2-4313-904F-7FC1EF2F9C64.jpeg
    665D804C-34A2-4313-904F-7FC1EF2F9C64.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 69535836-E33D-464A-9112-B2D2ECB9888C.jpeg
    69535836-E33D-464A-9112-B2D2ECB9888C.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 66
  • F2413E10-5387-4E4A-93CE-F21186678295.jpeg
    F2413E10-5387-4E4A-93CE-F21186678295.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 70
  • BBF6EE1A-798A-453E-9734-8AF0F77E2DE2.jpeg
    BBF6EE1A-798A-453E-9734-8AF0F77E2DE2.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 70
Correction, I think barrel nut is aluminum not the barrel ‍♂️(I don’t see an EDIT option on this forum) a magnet didn’t stick to it. I know a magnet won’t stick to some Stainless Steels but I’m pretty sure it’s aluminum, can anyone else confirm?

The staking on the castle nut and gas key looks really good and the bolts on the gas key are not yfs.

The fit on the upper and lower is really good also, I can barely, barely notice any movement when closed.

1st time at the range with it, pretty happy. 250 rounds of various surplus and zero stoppages. This was the only group in shot past 25m for the day. The target was a regular piece of paper. No noticeable wind, elevation pretty spot on. Windage was off a bit, 5.5” group at 250m. Optic is a CompM2 (4moa dot if I remember right)
I didn’t get to shot another group at distance so I’ll confirm zero later.

Attachments

• F7F64FAD-EDB9-4A6E-BE7D-1087C137C0F4.jpeg
    F7F64FAD-EDB9-4A6E-BE7D-1087C137C0F4.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 29
  • C49C0F19-00A3-42F6-9E4C-E4B0543BE98F.jpeg
    C49C0F19-00A3-42F6-9E4C-E4B0543BE98F.jpeg
    651.9 KB · Views: 27
Either it's not, or FN is over estimating weight on their product page.
I didn’t weigh mine but it’s in the lite side. I didn’t see anything on the FN site saying anything about profile. I posted a pic above showing the barrel. Whatever profile, Based on that one group it’s pretty accurate, one group though.

Attachments

• 68003323-4D5D-448A-85D9-CC72CE1337FE.png
    68003323-4D5D-448A-85D9-CC72CE1337FE.png
    721.3 KB · Views: 28

sry0fcr

Carlos, now that you've have a couple of months with the gun what are you overall impressions? How is the weight and balance? Does it seem to be gassed acceptably with 5.56 pressure ammo?

SmElly

I didn’t weigh mine but it’s in the lite side. I didn’t see anything on the FN site saying anything about profile. I posted a pic above showing the barrel. Whatever profile, Based on that one group it’s pretty accurate, one group though.
Must be an over estimation on their part. Or, perhaps they posted loaded weight?

Carlos, now that you've have a couple of months with the gun what are you overall impressions? How is the weight and balance? Does it seem to be gassed acceptably with 5.56 pressure ammo?

Sorry for the late reply. Well I’m not educated enough to say if it’s gassed acceptably. But, So far it only has 556 ammo through it, it ejects a pretty nice pile at 2:30ish about 2feet or so in the prone.

oh, wait I did shoot 30 rounds 77g black hills match .223 ejection was about the same but I didn’t pay to close attention.

I’ve been using magpul gen 3 and Mil-Spec blue follower mags with zero problems so far.

I am going to change the grip to a BCM Mod 0. I prefer grips with out the beaver tail and my daughter (10yrs old) will be using it for deer this year if she gets drawn. With 5.56 70g Barnes TSX (I think)

It doesn’t bother me and I don’t hear it every time but it did/does have the three prong flash hider “Twing”. I’ll pay more attention next time.

quality, fit and finish seems to be on par with my old BCM but like I said I’m not educated enough to make a good recommendation based on my limited knowledge. It goes “bang” every time and accuracy (with my aimpoint) has been really good so I’ll take it. I’ve shot a few 2” or less groups at 100m and a few slightly larger than quarter size at 50m.

I was going to put a 20x or so scope to check accuracy with 69-73-77g ammo bit it will hardly if ever have that scope on so I don’t see the need.
Eventually hopefully not to far in the future I will replace the aimpoint with a:
1st choice: Razor 1-6
2nd choice: PST 1-6
3rd choice: XTR 1-8
Want the Razor but more than likely it will get the PST (commander n’ chief nor likening the Razor price ) or maybe a 2-10 xtr 2 as my daughters hunting scope and keep the aimpoint... decisions decisions......

Overall I’m happy with it and so far I would buy again.
Hope it helps

Based on those two charts and from what I remember, ejecting at 2:30ish is slightly over gassed. But like I said I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have. I did change the buffer spring to a SpringCo Blue and the Extractor spring to a 5 coil. Was the buffer spring before or after noticing ejection? ‍♂️ Don’t remember I was more worried about zeroing and shooting it

Attachments

• B781AA2A-2241-4DEE-A997-80B7D8CB0CB3.jpeg
    B781AA2A-2241-4DEE-A997-80B7D8CB0CB3.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 65FE5E63-182F-4CA2-A891-B5A318BC6070.jpeg
    65FE5E63-182F-4CA2-A891-B5A318BC6070.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 31
I was about to order the PST when my wife said to wait, and.... Razor with JM-1 it is. Thanks Babe

Attachments

• D666376A-5CD8-4B1F-BC9D-2596568EC0BA.jpeg
    D666376A-5CD8-4B1F-BC9D-2596568EC0BA.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 8A489A39-BD71-4559-BE9E-E143DD3E535D.jpeg
    8A489A39-BD71-4559-BE9E-E143DD3E535D.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 45