FN 509 Tactical

Maynard

Amateur

First post in the new area!

I picked up a FN 509 Tactical earlier this week, it's my first FN product but probably not my last.

It's the first pistol I've seen with the features of a threaded barrel, optics mounting system and suppressor height sights in an inclusive package. It comes with 3 mags, a 17 round and 2 24 round mags and the suppressor sights are tritium night sights.

This being my first FN, I don't have anything to compare whether this pistol is as overbuilt as it is due to being a MHS entrant or FN handguns are built like tanks. I'm primarily a CZ and Walther shooter, heavy on the CZ side.

When comparing this with my CZ P10Cs, a couple of things come to mind.

1. The FN 509 Tactical trigger out of the box is the worst striker trigger I've experienced. The Apex flat facer trigger is going to be a must. I've been spoiled a bit by the HBI CZ P10C flat face triggers.

2. The FN is built like a tank

The FN will be shot sometime this weekend and I'm pretty excited about what it will offer in its final configuration of a Trijicon RMR, Apex trigger, Streamlight TLR1 and a Rugged Obsidian 9mm can.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Mine (just 509) did not have a horrible trigger. Many who dryfire them at shot said the trigger was horrible as well.

Maynard

Amateur
The Apex trigger for this will also be a first for me so I'm pretty excited to see how well it improves the trigger pull.

Burris will do for now. The optics system is simple and secure. I'll shake it down tomorrow.

Joker75

Amateur
I picked up my 509 Tactical a few months back. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, and can't complain about much. I don't have near the trigger time that a lot of members here have, so I don't notice a lot of the issues that most do regarding trigger pull.

I had a Henry Holsters Compensator on mine, until they were recalled. Now I'm looking for another option for a compensator. I like the look of the WAR 509 Comp, but am not sure how the angled front will affect its performance.

My plan is to throw an RMR, a comp, and either a TLR-1-HL or a X300 on mine, and make it my EDC. I'll need to spend a bit of time shaking down what ammo it likes, especially once I get the comp figured out. After that, I'm sure I'll just need some range time to work out any issues with the RMR, so I have complete trust in the final product.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

apeaks24

It's a great gun!
I picked up my 509 Tactical a few months back. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, and can't complain about much. I don't have near the trigger time that a lot of members here have, so I don't notice a lot of the issues that most do regarding trigger pull.

I had a Henry Holsters Compensator on mine, until they were recalled. Now I'm looking for another option for a compensator. I like the look of the WAR 509 Comp, but am not sure how the angled front will affect its performance.

My plan is to throw an RMR, a comp, and either a TLR-1-HL or a X300 on mine, and make it my EDC. I'll need to spend a bit of time shaking down what ammo it likes, especially once I get the comp figured out. After that, I'm sure I'll just need some range time to work out any issues with the RMR, so I have complete trust in the final product.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maynard

Amateur
Took the FN 509 Tactical out today for a few rounds, managed to talk my suppressor dealer to bring along my Rugged Obsidian 9mm can. We shot 150 rounds, most of that suppressed and it functioned without issue. Winchester and Speer 147s shot to POA/POI. I'm going back out Tuesday and will shoot it more then.

We had a nice little crowd today to shoot steel and I took a Scorpion SBR, CZ P10C and a Ruger PCC 9mm. All had threaded barrels and we swapped the Obsidian and a Rebel DFNDR 9mm between all 4 guns.

Maynard

Amateur
Went back out this morning and shot 100 rounds through the 509, the trigger is improving over time and the red dot really shines at distance.

Maynard

Amateur
RMR mounted and adjusted to the irons.

I added the Trijicon sealing plate along with the FN hardware. Probably going to be Monday before I can shoot it.

Apex trigger on the way.

Maynard

Amateur

The FN and Rugged got a nice workout today. Shot with the RMR for the first time and really like the 6.5 dot presentation over the 2.0 in the Burris.

Holster arrived today along with the Apex trigger.

Based Dude

looks, great. pardon the newbie question, but does the carbon on the rmr just wipe off? and is it an issue with higher roundcounts? also +1 to KT mech holsters

Maynard

Amateur
looks, great. pardon the newbie question, but does the carbon on the rmr just wipe off? and is it an issue with higher roundcounts? also +1 to KT mech holsters

We all started somewhere, my friend.

It does indeed just wipe off. It is a consideration to contend with if you plan on any real round count and have a zeal for lubrication, like I do.

:)

Joker75

Amateur

We all started somewhere, my friend.

It does indeed just wipe off. It is a consideration to contend with if you plan on any real round count and have a zeal for lubrication, like I do.

:)
Is the build up increased, due to the suppressor, or would it be similar without the can?

I have a standard 509 and I am thinking about trading it for the Tactical model. I do like the trigger on my current 509, did yours smooth out?

Caomhin

Apex Tactical has several upgrades for the 509.

There was a burst of internet chatter about failed strikers and Apex released its Heavy Duty striker assembly which is highly polished CNC stainless steel.

They also offer a Failure Resistant Extractor.

Just this week they’ve released another Trigger but instead of being totally flat it’s curved similar to the OEM trigger.

This pistol just might “make it”.

All it now needs is a “Gadget”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk