FN 509 Holster

Joker75

Amateur
I happen to be one of those lunatics that look at every item that I want or need, and thinks, "That doesn't look very difficult. I should be able to do that."

More often than not, this process gives me ample opportunity to exercise my inappropriate vocabulary at levels I normally try to avoid. I have made several leather holsters for previous firearms, but got the crazy idea to venture into unknown territory and attempt making a holster, using Holstex (Kydex), for my new companion. One of the big reasons that I decided to attempt this, is that I currently own a Streamlight TLR1-HL, which I run on my duty pistol, and the only light bearing holsters that I found, from trusted sources, were only designed to run the Surefire X300 WML. I figured that now would be as good a time as any to test my ingenuity, and see if I was even remotely as handy as I pretend to be.

After discarding about $15 in Holstex brand material, and learning a ton of valuable information from PhillyEDC's youtube channel (Phlster), I finally ended up with something that looks like it will work. I am still looking into putting a foam pad on the inside of the holster, to help with concealment, as well as comfort, but for now, it should work alright. Since taking these pictures, I installed a Modwing (Grip tuck) and rubber spacers in the open holes below the light/trigger guard, to help keep the grip from printing, and to allow for adjustment of the retention.

My next priority is to pick up enough +P ammunition to head to the range and test out the new compensator, and see if the holster will work as well as I hope it will. As soon as I have run enough ammunition through it, with the compensator installed, to ensure that everything functions reliably, I hope to run this as my EDC.

Next up, is the wait for an optic, to grace this jewel. By the time I have the cash set aside, the Aimpoint Acro should be available. My agency is supposedly picking up an Acro for T&E, so I plan on doing some side by side comparisons with the RMR that they are currently testing, before making my final decision.

Attachments

• Kydex 1.jpg
    Kydex 1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Kydex 2.jpg
    Kydex 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Kydex 3.jpg
    Kydex 3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 23

Stanand23

I happen to be one of those lunatics that look at every item that I want or need, and thinks, "That doesn't look very difficult. I should be able to do that.

Very nicely done!!

If anyone isn’t wanting to try to do all that themselves, tier one concealment carries holsters that are made for a rds, comp, and many different types of light setups. They also do custom stuff to if you want to go that route. I have been in contact with them to make sure everything that I will be adding to my pistol can be used and still work with their holster.

Joker75

Amateur
I forgot to add one other unintended, bonus feature. After returning my Streamlight, to my duty M&P, I decided to see how it fit in the holster. I figured that, since the holster's retention is based off of the light, not the firearm, I might as well give it a shot. Conveniently, the holster fits great. The M&P is definitely narrower, as the firearm itself, does not rub on the holster, like the FN, but the retention on the light, is plenty to secure the M&P is it as well.

Joker75

Amateur
Very nicely done!!

If anyone isn’t wanting to try to do all that themselves, tier one concealment carries holsters that are made for a rds, comp, and many different types of light setups. They also do custom stuff to if you want to go that route. I have been in contact with them to make sure everything that I will be adding to my pistol can be used and still work with their holster.

Stanand23, thank you for sharing that information. Making holsters is definitely not as easy as it looked, and can be expensive, unless you plan on making several. It does help to have the right tools, which is where most of the cost stems from. The actual Kydex material and hardware on mine only cost about $30, if you don't count the material that I tossed, due to mistakes.

I actually looked at the Tier 1 holsters, and noticed that they had already done something that I was considering doing with my holster. After looking at the Trex Arms Sidecar holsters, I thought it would be nice to attach a magazine holder to the holster, either with screws, or possibly just paracord. I thought it could be beneficial to be able to remove the magazine holder, if I ever needed to. I have attached a picture of a leather holster, that I made for my wife's Ruger LCP, which included a similar magazine holder, since I knew she would need additional ammunition, if she ever had to use her LCP.

Have you received your holster, yet? I'm sure that others would be very interested in hearing your opinion, once you have a chance to test it out.

Attachments

• Tiny cricket2.jpg
    Tiny cricket2.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 5

Stanand23

I haven’t yet and your holsters look great by the way! I will be sure to make a thread on the holster when I get it and do a review after some practice with it.