Fixed Blade Knives

MojoNixon

Established
I had a Tops Mil-Spie 3 that I liked, but was trying to sell and received no interest so I decided to modify it myself. I really like the Shepard Knives Pikal and tried to make it resemble that. 8 hours of slow meticulous bench grinder work I ended up with this: It doesn't really follow the form of the Pikal but without one in hand to compare to as I was working I got as close as I could get based off of memory and the picture earlier in this thread. I got it to a size and shape I'm happy with. It still needs a little more Scotchbrite work but is essentially done. I like it and actually carry it now where I really couldn't prior to this transformation.
It's basically a 3 finger blade now but in a reverse grip with the thumb riding the back of the handle it is quite secure. Carried IWB at about 11:00.

Attachments

• 78.JPG
    78.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 80

MrMurphy

I've carried one of Joe Watsons original Hidden Key prototypes horizontal on the belt. TDI left front at times, been looking at a Benchmade punch dagger.

Stringers762

Headhunter Rat IWB at 9/10 o’clock. THE edc fixed blade imo. Carried a cold steel braveheart in same
Manner for years. Also a good blade and can be found on eBay for less than 100. Pair w Bladerigs sheath.

JLL2013

Headhunter Rat IWB at 9/10 o’clock. THE edc fixed blade imo. Carried a cold steel braveheart in same
Manner for years. Also a good blade and can be found on eBay for less than 100. Pair w Bladerigs sheath.

Same, Rat blade for me. Sometimes I would carry the Winkler Dynamis blade or the Headhunter Kryptos but those are for specific applications...

MojoNixon

Established
I’ve been looking at the CRKT Siwi. It checks all the boxes for things I want in a blade.
1) @3” blade, it’s 3 1/3.
2) @ 7” OAL, it’s 7.25
3) G10 or micarta scales, it’s G10.
4) it has a decent sheath that a tek-lok or G clip will work on. $45 to $100 depending on source. 1301EA93-EFE2-43C7-B608-783518928DE2.png

nyeti

Staff member
I usually have a Watson SM100 Gamboa in if I am awake. Still carry Strider DB variants, Watson HiTS and Gamboa’s for obvious reasons.

Barry B

I carry a Spartan Blade Enyo left hand (my non-dominant hand) horizontal draw, just to left of belly button, with a single loop on my belt. Thick tang, thick blade. Seems (for me) to be a good choice. $150.

shorite

Currently a Tops Lioness, 10-11 o'clock, hilt down and towards the center line. Sheath isn't great, but it is working with a pull the dot loop for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MojoNixon

Established
I carry a Spartan Blade Enyo left hand (my non-dominant hand) horizontal draw, just to left of belly button, with a single loop on my belt. Thick tang, thick blade. Seems (for me) to be a good choice. $150.
I looked at the Enyo hard but ended up getting a CRKT Acquisition. It rides in my left boot most days. I still have my CRKT Siwi. A decent do most things camp knife, can be used as a skinner if no other better options are available.

Boy Scout

I’ve carried a fixed blade off and on for a few years, more so dependent on my job at the time, and how much time I spent outdoors. When I was tac team and dealt with a lot of real bad guys (and a couple real off-duty encounters with such,) I carried a ESEE/KaBar BK14 “EsKaBar” in a custom sheath with my own poor attempt at scales (modified micarta from a broken knife). I also carried it on duty and did a lot of prying on doors, windows and hidden panels, clearing small branches or the like for surveillance, and last ditch self defense. It saw some time as a field knife for camping, but other than throwing sparks off a ferro rod and shaving feather sticks, it wasn’t quite large enough for “great” field work because I couldn’t baton with it well due to its size. It was never super comfy to use (I’m not a big choil guy) but I could beat the hell out of it and keep it sharp. I have passed it on to my Scout son to beat up.

Now that I’m retired on duty and working a very quiet college PD, and my interactions with real bad guys having gone <1%, I’ve been thinking about getting a new one just for shits and giggles. I don’t do half of the cool stuff I used to do, and really have no use for one on duty (my Leatherman gets more use fixing things than any of my cop gear), but the appeal for pointy stabby things is always there. I use a Mora and a custom mini-machete/chopper for all my hiking/field work, so I don’t even need one for that since I’m very pleased with that combo!

But nooooo, you guys have to be on here showing off all these cool blades and being badasses so now I feel lacking. Thanks a lot!

Oh, I’m liking the look and design of the Benchmade Steep Country:

3D3AC55A-F281-4C26-9A8B-6198698F23EB.jpeg

Sheath is kind of janky, but I like the lines and full tang, rubbery handle and jimping.

For edc, utility, hunting, fishing or just out and about I mainly carry one of my old blades. Both around a 3.25 "blade, nothing fancy, 1095 black oxide. I carry either on the belt at about 10 o'clock or depending on what I'm doing just in offside pocket in a sheath made for thumb release The sheath just has a kydex hump that can be pushed with the thumb and knife comes out. The sheath is also cut to ride upright in pockets which helps keep it where it needs to stay. I really do not like folding blades for much, damn near cut a finger off years ago. Since then I have pretty much only owned fixed blades.

Attachments

• 10478237_1506986189515584_5027336304732797395_n.jpg
    10478237_1506986189515584_5027336304732797395_n.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 10703836_1526197627594440_5958898802956473910_n.jpg
    10703836_1526197627594440_5958898802956473910_n.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 31