FirstSpear Windcheater

howdy all,

Quick question on the FS windcheater. How does the Duro ambush material compare to say a Patagonia Slingshot or Arcteryx Combat jacket?

Heavier? Lighter? More breathable? Less?

Thanks!

I'll first say that my experience with the windcheater is relegated to the Hill People Gear version. Slightly different pocket layout, same fabric. Secondly, I can only compare it to the weight/feel of the Patagonia slingshot, which I owned for a short time.
In my experience, the Windcheater material is more breathable, and on-par weight wise with the slingshot. I've got much more usage-time with the windcheater than with the slingshot, so I can more accurately talk about it's attributes. I've worn the HPG windcheater in temps as low as 20 degrees F, all the way up to 60-70 degrees. Thanks to the breathable fabric and ample pit-zips I was able to make use of it while taking a break during a backpacking trip in the Rockies recently. While I hung my shirt to dry on a bush, I donned with windcheater to give myself a little protection from the sun while I ate lunch. Eventually I got pretty warm, but it wasn't unbearable. Last winter, I used it on a backcountry ski trip and pretty much lived in it for the entire 3 days. I wore a lightweight Patagonia capilene 2 layer underneath, and it was comfortable for me while moving around 20-25 Degrees F. The hood is nice and big and provides excellent protection from the elements. Furthermore the cut of the jacket, including the dropped tail hem, provides a lot of room for layering and movement.

The ambush material seems very durable, and I have every reason to expect that it will hold up to quite a bit of use.

I hope this was informative. Please let me know if there's anything I can add or clarify.

I'll first say that my experience with the windcheater is relegated to the Hill People Gear version. Slightly different pocket layout, same fabric. Secondly, I can only compare it to the weight/feel of the Patagonia slingshot, which I owned for a short time.
In my experience, the Windcheater material is more breathable, and on-par weight wise with the slingshot. I've got much more usage-time with the windcheater than with the slingshot, so I can more accurately talk about it's attributes. I've worn the HPG windcheater in temps as low as 20 degrees F, all the way up to 60-70 degrees. Thanks to the breathable fabric and ample pit-zips I was able to make use of it while taking a break during a backpacking trip in the Rockies recently. While I hung my shirt to dry on a bush, I donned with windcheater to give myself a little protection from the sun while I ate lunch. Eventually I got pretty warm, but it wasn't unbearable. Last winter, I used it on a backcountry ski trip and pretty much lived in it for the entire 3 days. I wore a lightweight Patagonia capilene 2 layer underneath, and it was comfortable for me while moving around 20-25 Degrees F. The hood is nice and big and provides excellent protection from the elements. Furthermore the cut of the jacket, including the dropped tail hem, provides a lot of room for layering and movement.

The ambush material seems very durable, and I have every reason to expect that it will hold up to quite a bit of use.

I hope this was informative. Please let me know if there's anything I can add or clarify.

Nice review. I was thinking about one of these. Not many reviews about it and not much on YouTube. How is it in the rain? Good for cold weather with a Naga hoodie ? FS is solid kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chucktay

Forum Support II
Nice review. I was thinking about one of these. Not many reviews about it and not much on YouTube. How is it in the rain? Good for cold weather with a Naga hoodie ? FS is solid kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything more than light rain will soak right through. I've worn it with a (substandard) hoodie down to 30ish with a bit of wind and been pretty comfortable.