First RDS pistol: changing grip angle?

Brap&Bang

Amateur
I'm going to buy my first red dot pistol. I'll use it for conceal carry.

At the conclusion of a defensive pistol course I shot a friends G19 RDS. I had been shooting my M&P all day and I found it very difficult to find the dot on presentation from the holster. The different grip angles between his glock and my M&P may have been part of my problem.

Depending on attire, I currently carry a G43 or M&P9 2.0 C (G19 size).

It seems prudent to get a glock 19 for my red dot pistol so that the grip angle of my compact carry gun (G43) matches my red dot pistol. Or I can get the M&P slide milled and use it. Any thoughts/advice?

user12358

Your first RDS pistol is going to have a learning curve as far as finding the dot, regardless of the grip angle, although going to a new grip angle certainly won't do you any favors. It will all come down to time and working out the issues with your presentation that irons have been masking.

It really comes down to how much time you want to invest and an honest self evaluation. Personally, I still use a dotted P226 or P229 as my suppressed pistols but use a dotted Glock for most OWB uses and can easily switch back and forth between the two fairly distinct grip angles with just a few dry presentations. That being said, I can also switch what eye I present out to and on the other end of the spectrum I have seen very accomplished shooters that have a hard time switching between different guns without a good amount of reps in between. It is just something you have to find out where you land by trying.

Commonality will always be simpler and easier. There is no downside to going with the Glock unless you are married to the M&P but if you would much rather use the M&P then it is certainly doable, especially with the 43 not having a dot. As always, training trumps all.

CK837

Amateur
First of all, Merry Christmas! @user12358 is spot on. The issue has more to do with errors in presentation that we can mask with irons because you can fix the errors in motion with the front and rear sight. Taking an RDS class or at least working with someone who is skilled with one will fix that easily enough. Grip angle gets blamed for a lot of things, but it's a training and comfort issue really.

Brap&Bang

Amateur
I don't mind investing time in learning through dryfire and at the range. That said, I want to be efficient. User12358 said, "commonality will always be simpler and easier" and that seems to fit my experience. So I'm leaning toward the G19 for my red dot.

Thanks for the info guys.

Paul053

Amateur
I say get whatever you shoot best. I just took Scott Jedlinski's red dot class and on day one I shot my 17 with a grip force adapter and day two I shot without. Yes the gun pointed differently but withing a few minutes of drawing and presenting I quickly overcame that. Like Scott says, once you're body knows what perfect feels like it will constantly search for it or tell you how you are off. Same applies to your presentation. I got a red dot on 3 separate platforms, Glock m&p and 2011. All feel different and do require some reps to get the presentation right but it's not a huge hurdle to get over as you may think.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gypsy EDC

100% agree with advice above there was a frustrating learning curve for me going from irons only to RDS on the exact same pistol.

Be patient.

Lots and lots of dry fire presentations, live fire, and if possible take a class with a good instructor.