First Precision Rifle competition

Ryan F

Amateur
This past weekend a friend and I competed in our first precision rifle competition at K&M Precision in Finger Tennessee. The competition was held on Sunday and we attended the Competition Prep course the day before.

95 shooters registered for the competition, but only 90 showed up. Most of the shooters were from the area or had shot at this facility several times before. I attended a Basic LR course at this facility in December 2015 so I had some familiarity but had not shot from the many barricades.

I finished #83 and there are many reasons for this. 1. I brought a new rifle with me that I had for only a week before the competition. I had some mechanical issues with it and it's back at my smiths. 2. I like using the 5 round AICS magazines and almost every stage was 10 round with a few 7 or 8 rounds. I knew this and figured I would have to complete mag changes. I ended up bringing one 10 round AICS magazine, but that became problem #3. 3. The 1 10 round AICS magazine I brought gave me feeding problems throughout the competition. I am running a 700 action in a McRee Precision G5. This one is in 6.5 Creedmore and is set up exactly like another rifle I have in 308. I brought both and for some unknown reason I didn't switch to that rifle when I knew it was GTG. 4. The McRee Precision stock was hard to load. I had to force my magazines into it. My other McRee does not have this problem. I plan on calling McRee when I get a chance and discussing this with them. 5. My biggest problem was my lack of skill and being "NEW" still. I have been to several courses and have attended training, but the above problems coupled with the competition pressure added up to a weekend where I did not shoot as well as I know I can.

It was very windy and that also didn't help. My inexperience with shooting from positions other than prone was also a limiting factor. I plan on correcting my equipment problems and working on my deficiencies and trying again.

Ryan F

Amateur
One of my friends who wanted to go, but couldn't and I have gathered some items to use as barricades and some materials to build barricades. He has a private range and we can keep the stuff there and not have to worry about theft damage or transportation. His range is only 200 yards but I have unlimited access to it.

I have a 500 yard range about an hour away and they have started offering PRS style training and I plan on looking into that.

My shooting is good I think my little experience with shooting from positions other than prone is what hurt me the most besides equipment. The equipment is the easy fix.

I was able to keep the match course of fire. The next competition is in June and when registration opens up I will sign up. The barricades will be the same but I'm sure the order times and targets will change. I spent a lot of time watching the successful shooters and how they tackled the stages.

I really think if I spend some more time shooting from similar barricades I will improve but I am open to additional suggestions.

Here is a picture of a barricade we are building
image.jpeg

Ryan F

Amateur
I have these DVDs, but forgot I had them. I attended PR1&PR2 there. I had some experience with shooting from different barricades there but that was in 2014.

Ryan F

Amateur
All of the targets were steal. Majority where IPSC silhouettes of different sizes. The moving targets where circles, but I don't remember the size.