Fighting revolver discussion & picture thread!

Jake_Disty

Amateur
After watching the P&S Modcast on Snubbies and Revolver Bias I became very interested in snub nose revolvers for carry. Later, I inherited a J-frame after my grandfather passed. I enjoyed shooting this so much I actually ended up writing a blog post about it for my website.

Attachments

• IMG_7550.JPG
    IMG_7550.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 36

Stinx

My dream gun, which I have at long last aquired. Nickel S&W 15-2, 4" barrel, currently fitted with Pachmayr grips. Seems to have had some trigger work done, as it has the smoothest DA trigger pull I have ever felt.
This thing definitely deserves the "combat masterpiece" label.
View attachment 5300
After this afternoon's range trip, I can confirm that I shoot it better than any other handgun I own, by a wide margin.
I love my factory Nickeled Model 10, The DA pull is super smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_9427.jpeg
    IMG_9427.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 15

BKS

Has anyone had any success with the replacing the S&W rear sight with either a Cylinder and Slide or D&L fixed rear?

Jake_Disty

Amateur
Has anyone had any success with the replacing the S&W rear sight with either a Cylinder and Slide or D&L fixed rear?
There is a handful of videos on youtube of the installation of those D&L combat sights. Personally, I think I will be buying a rear sight from Cylinder and Slide to mount onto a 19 Carry Comp 2.5".

Reactions: BKS

BKS

Got around the shooting them this weekend.
I put them on a 3” 629 and a 3” 686+
Point of aim, point of impact at 25yards with
357- 16.0 grs 296 and 158xtp
44 Mag - 7.0grs of 231 and a 240 SWC
180gr xtp with 10.0 grs of 231 is about 1- 1 1/2” low.

I, for one, think wheel guns still have their place in a defensive role.

Let’s use this thread to discuss combat revolvers and share photos.

Here’s one of my favorites: a S&W Model 13-1K frame with a 4 inch bull barrel, square butt, and custom elk grips. I run it with a Silent Thunder OWB holster, ready tactical speedloader holders, and comp 2 and 3 speedloaders.

She’s a natural pointer, perfect weight, and the fixed sights shoot true with heavy .38, .38+p and .357 loads.

What a beautiful revolver!!

Seth Thompson

Glad someone resurrected this thread!

Here's one of my usual guns- a S&W 640 Pro Series. It's got Taurus boot grips on it (found for $5 in a gun shop bin), with a Chicago screw parked in the void where the little bull emblems used to be. The action was smoothed a bit by an old-school S&W-trained armorer and is amazingly good.

Though it's chambered for .357, my daily carry load is Black Hills 158-gr. wad-cutters, with a stated velocity of only about 700 fps. I'd like to find something a little stiffer in the future but this load is very controllable and I can buy it retail in a local store. The reload on the speed strip is the Black Hills 158-gr. semi-wad cutter. I prefer pointed bullets for reloads, just for ease of getting them in the cylinders.

I often pocket-carry it in a Desantis holster. I got a Wilderness Tactical pocket holster a while ago and am breaking it in for the other side pocket. This revolver is big and heavy enough that it works best in cargo pants or something with thicker material. It's too heavy for ankle carry, being steel-framed and .357-rated.

The shoot-ability of this gun, compared to a an alloy-framed J is outstanding. Real sights, a slightly-longer barrel, and more weight helps, if you can accept the trade-offs. IMG_8300.jpg

A necro thread for sure, but worth re-visiting in the context of the Revolver Renaissance we find ourselves in.

I may be biased, having started my LE career in the latter days of the revolver era but in context they are tools well suited to the job. But it's important that we examine our contexts closely. Me... I am carrying one of the snubs shown here regardless of anything else I might be carrying... like a compact or service sized semi auto. The short barreled fighting revolver is ideally suited, IMO, to always being carried, whether it is in an NPE, at a Bar-B-Que, or anyplace in between.

I'm finishing up an article for the blog side on my thoughts around exactly this idea.

Snubs.jpg

Seth Thompson

"... I am carrying one of the snubs shown here regardless of anything else I might be carrying... like a compact or service sized semi auto. The short barreled fighting revolver is ideally suited, IMO, to always being carried, whether it is in an NPE, at a Bar-B-Que, or anyplace in between."
I agree.

If I'm carrying something else (service-sized), an alloy 642 comes along in an ankle or pocket rig. I tried all the little autos as backups but I keep coming to back to the J-frame, due to the ease of carry and the reliability factor when fired left-handed, loose-gripped, not all my fingers on the gun, or all of the above.

Beju

I agree.

If I'm carrying something else (service-sized), an alloy 642 comes along in an ankle or pocket rig. I tried all the little autos as backups but I keep coming to back to the J-frame, due to the ease of carry and the reliability factor when fired left-handed, loose-gripped, not all my fingers on the gun, or all of the above.
I've come to a similar conclusion.

Attachments

• PXL_20230927_113043840~2.jpg
    PXL_20230927_113043840~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

jr1572

Amateur
I agree.

Same. I’m sure more than a few of us have been doing this for a while.

1000001457.jpg
LCR in 327 is my athletic or deep carry option. I have been carrying it with Gold Dots but recently found the 32 H&R mag Critical Defense from Hornady has a perfect POA/POI match, when I find more of the Hornady I'll be switching over. I swapped out the front sight for a tritium one and just recently painted the white ring with some fluorescent orange paint, in dry fire this has been quicker for my eyes. I normally only carry one speed strip but I had two loaded up so they both made it into photo. My only complaint is finding speed loaders for the LCR is a pain as it seems most things standardize on the J frame cylinder size, which I don't blame them. I used to run 8 slot quick strips but the two I was switching between both gave up the ghost a few days apart. What are you guys using to carry speed strips? A pouch or just in the pocket? Any luck with the NeoMag RASC?

jr1572

Amateur
With all of this revolver talk, it sure would be nice if RCS would reintroduce an updated vanguard for the smaller sized guns.

View attachment 9838
LCR in 327 is my athletic or deep carry option. I have been carrying it with Gold Dots but recently found the 32 H&R mag Critical Defense from Hornady has a perfect POA/POI match, when I find more of the Hornady I'll be switching over. I swapped out the front sight for a tritium one and just recently painted the white ring with some fluorescent orange paint, in dry fire this has been quicker for my eyes. I normally only carry one speed strip but I had two loaded up so they both made it into photo. My only complaint is finding speed loaders for the LCR is a pain as it seems most things standardize on the J frame cylinder size, which I don't blame them. I used to run 8 slot quick strips but the two I was switching between both gave up the ghost a few days apart. What are you guys using to carry speed strips? A pouch or just in the pocket? Any luck with the NeoMag RASC?
Strips, of what ever variety, go in the support side pants pocket for me. I use Zeta 6 mostly, they are more robust than Bianchi, Tuff or any of the Chinesium knockoffs on Amazon. They add a bit of bulk but in a loose pair of pants they go unnoticed in the pocket. Simply Rugged makes a trim little pouch for wear on a belt. Link below to product page.

shoobe01

Established
Carry speed strips support side? I have always been taught the revolver reload is open cylinder latch with strong hand in firing grip, move cylinder aside with support hand then grab the gun such that the cylinder is positively open. Strong side then is the ammo/speedloader/speedstrip handling until all done reloading when you re-acquire the grip.

So... revolver spare ammo goes where you can get it strong side... no?

Carry speed strips support side? I have always been taught the revolver reload is open cylinder latch with strong hand in firing grip, move cylinder aside with support hand then grab the gun such that the cylinder is positively open. Strong side then is the ammo/speedloader/speedstrip handling until all done reloading when you re-acquire the grip.

So... revolver spare ammo goes where you can get it strong side... no?
If you only practice reloading with the gun in support hand and fresh ammo in firing hand, and then you lose the use of your firing hand when its time to load or top off.... then what? That is one context to consider.

I have an article in draft on the practical carry of spare ammo with the EDC wheel and how to utilize it. I don't want to give too much away, and honestly empty gun reloads in a private person context are rarer than hen's teeth, but there are very effective loading techniques where the revolver never leaves the firing hand and being able to perform in that context becomes a thing.

shoobe01

Established
Yup, need to wait for the article as I've never seen a non-fumbleable strong-hand-on-gun reload, but always willing to try something else.