Farmer's Walks

Started incorporating farmer's walks into my routine.

Not quite sure how I should treat this exercise: like a power-type thing (heavy weight, short duration, more sets) or go until you can't pick up the kettlebell anymore?

All I have access to right now are kettlebells. I have 3, a 35#, 52#, 70#.

What I ended up doing was carrying the 35#+52# in one hand, and the 70# in the other. Walk until the 87# hand drops. Rest a few seconds, switch hands, walk back. I did a few reps of these walking pretty slow (nearly one foot right in front of the other).

Then I switched to walking with the 70# in one hand until it dropped (normal-ish steps), immediately picking it up with the other (rested) hand and walking back. Did that a few times. Then carried the KB back to my house using two hands.

The morning after, my traps are really feeling it, followed by the are near my hips, but towards my back. Can't tell if it's lower lats or obliques (but that general area). Nothing else is sore (grip, mid back, etc).

fwrun

I second the recommendation to do single hand farmers carries when possible. It requires alot more stabilization, so you get more gains for your time. Supplement these with Reeves Deadlifts and it will put you far above the rest of the game. The Reeves DL's will definitely have you feeling it in your hands the next morning if you are pushing. The key is to not overdo these exercises though, you open yourself up to tendinitis quickly. Quality grip strength is built on a regimen measured in months, not weeks.

If your aim is conditioning then farmer's walks are alright. If grip strength is your concern then I'd say deadlifts are probably more suited to that. Increasing your deadlift from, say, 300 lbs to 400 lbs is going to do more for your grip (and posterior chain) than farmers walks would

chasnojm

Deadlifts are good and should be in any solid strength training plan, but its more of a primary lift versus something you'd do at the finish/end. I typically add farmers walks in between a leg exercise like heavy step ups (135# and up on an 18in box) or barbell lunges etc. You could do isometric holds/controlled descents with a Trapbar/Hexbar to achieve some more of the same effect. Honestly, do both.

AlphaJuliet

Amateur
I found that farmer's walks with my 70lb kettlebells weren't hitting my forearms in the right way. I started doing some of these exercises, mainly the radial deviations and forearm flips. Those really beat up my forearms and I've seen an improvement in my longevity on farmer's walks as well. I did have to get a lighter bell from my local Wallyworld for the flips.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/3-kettlebell-exercises-for-an-iron-grip

If it hasn't been mentioned yet keep your shoulders back. Have a proud chest like superman. Don't lean to the side when doing single arm farmers walks. You can also incorperate suitcase dead lifts into the excerise. Farmers walks for time are great. Light in one hand heavy in the other hand are also great. If you need more weight use a trap bar.

AJ, thanks for the link, I'll add that to my grip work.

Saw some grip work stuff using grip-specific gear (@JujiMufu on Instagram) and tried to adapt it to kettlebells.

Pinch grip type 1
Roz7rrU.jpg

Pinch grip type 2
foJk1G6.jpg

90 degree grip (hard pic to take, but make a right angle with your hand and hang the KB off it)
wuL5UQj.jpg

Hanging grip
naYDimb.jpg

Crush grip (you can do this without the thumb ovewrap, but I do)
5z65jIC.jpg

Then I finish the session out with farmers walks.

EDIT:

Also, stretch the shit out of your forearms.

Oh yeah, and that crumpling newspaper thing in that earlier linked video? Don't laugh (like I did) - that shit works, especially after all the other grip stuff.

If anyone has ideas on how to exercise the "opposite side" (the flexors?) I'm all ears. I've seen something where someone had rubber bands and was opening their fingers out like a flower blooming. Read something about a protein jug with sand. Shove your fist in there, open the hand and hold until the jug falls.

If anyone has an extra protein jug, I'll buy it off ya.

Grizzly

EDIT:

Also, stretch the shit out of your forearms.

Oh yeah, and that crumpling newspaper thing in that earlier linked video? Don't laugh (like I did) - that shit works, especially after all the other grip stuff.

If anyone has ideas on how to exercise the "opposite side" (the flexors?) I'm all ears. I've seen something where someone had rubber bands and was opening their fingers out like a flower blooming. Read something about a protein jug with sand. Shove your fist in there, open the hand and hold until the jug falls.

If anyone has an extra protein jug, I'll buy it off ya.
Protein jug, paint can or 5 gallon bucket of rice works as well. Slightly less resistance than sand would have. Hit up lowe's for a $3 bucket or stop by food places they usually have extra 5 gallon buckets you can have from sauces and such.