Family Member involved in Attempted Mugging

I'm not sure if this is the right place to share this, but none of the other sections seemed like the right fit. Is there there a sub-forum meant for "After Action Review," so to speak?

A couple weeks ago a Family Member of mine was involved in an attempted mugging at work. She is pretty shaken up by it, and I have been helping her rationalize the incident, move past it, and be prepared for similar situations in the future. What I am hoping we can accomplish in this discussion is a review of what happened, which will hopefully lead to a discussion about the quality of decisions made by all parties during the incident, and possibly even some constructive criticism we can build on if she were ever unfortunate enough to be caught in a similar situation in the future.

Family Member [FM] has a job where she must travel to multiple client's homes or other public locations (Parks, boardwalks, trails) multiple times a day. Meaning she is in and out of "transition zones" an average of 6-12 times each day.

Wednesday, a couple weeks ago, she was pulling into a client's [Client] - Gated - driveway, when a masked and hooded man followed her car into the client's property, brandished a handgun at FM and Client, approached FM directly and demanded all her money with the weapon aimed at her at point blank.

According to her, she says she had about 5-10 seconds from the point of the assailant penetrating the property, brandishing, and cornering her at her driver side door.

It was enough time for her to get her cellphone video camera on and recording, she captured the 2nd half of this (approx 30 second) interaction on film, film which the local PD was able to use to identify, locate, and arrest the assailant.

The video clip opens with FM expressing that she doesn't have any money (Had left her wallet at home that day), but that the assailant can take her purse, with the caveat that it's empty, in quite possibly the world's sassiest tone-of-voice. At this moment on video we get a frontal shot of the perp. Masked, Under Armor Faux cammo hoodie, hood up. Plaid Sweat pants. You can roughly make out that he's holding something in his right hand inside his hoodie pocket.

FM makes a comment about keeping her BC meds, removes them from her purse, leans into her car and tosses them into the passenger seat and shoves her purse between herself and the muzzle of the gun being aimed at her. When the camera pans back up the perp is already walking away. The home owner can be heard on the film telling the man he needs to leave her property, and she already has police on the phone. You can see him holster the handgun into a OWB holster on his right hip as he exits the property through the gate he entered, empty handed.

And that was the end of the Episode for her, essentially, aside from giving her statement to the police. They found the guy at his family house 2 blocks over, in the same clothes, with 2 more handguns with their SN's filed off. He did have priors as a juvenile but not as an adult. FM is pressing charges, so is Client.

I have a lot of questions. I don't really understand the perps actions. He walked right past the Client, and had his back to her for most of this interaction. He allowed FM to reach into her vehicle where she could have potentially retrieved a weapon, and left just as quickly as he approached, empty handed. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that we're not having to deal with having her personal and work items stolen, (and even happier he was only interested in her STUFF, and not HER) but despite the empty purse she had her phone and car keys in her hand, why not demand either of those items?

As far as how she handled herself, I think she did well. She did not escalate the situation, and was (imo correctly) focused on doing what she could to get the gun pointed away from her first and foremost. Is it possible her compliant but, call it *annoyed*, demeanor threw off the assailant? As in, this is immediately not going how he planned, so he thinks it's time to bail? Anything she could/should have done differently? Better? Were there any mistakes or lapses on her part?

She does not carry. She did have a small pepper spray can in her purse, which she attempted to give to the attacker. We did laugh about that afterwards.

On the flat range I'm about a 2s draw to hitting inside the 9 ring on a b8 from concealment. If I had been there I would have had (supposedly) more than enough time from the brandish till he was on her to have drawn and put accurate fire on the attacker.

Considering this went about as well as you could hope for, would this situation have even called for action? If I would have been there and done something about it, the whole situation could likely be much worse for us both. Names in the news, having to prove self defense for a homicide charge when the most apparent threat was a simple brandish.

How would any of you have responded?

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider.

I'm glad it ended relatively well. I personally think we are going to see a lot more of this sort of thing. There is a Youtube video titled "When The People Lose Everything & Have Nothing Left To Lose, They Lose It", by Gerald Celente, that I think is pretty accurate.

Your story reminds me of one of mine. A few years ago, my daughter-in-law worked as a clerk in a grocery store. I shopped there often. One day, shortly after her shift ended, a guy came in with a knife. He grabbed the clerk from behind and put his knife to her throat, and demanded all the money. She complied. He took the money and left, but security cameras caught the act. The guy was later identified and arrested.

If it had been a little bit earlier, it would have been my daughter-in-law. And since I went there often, it wasn't far fetched for me to have been present. Had I been present, I am sure I would have drawn my weapon and fired. He was a very tall and lanky guy-- his head and even upper chest would have been an easy target, because he towered over the clerk that much. I know I would have shot him, and quite frankly, that scares me to death to think about now.

The obvious thing to say is "stay situationally aware", but I am sure you know that.

As mentioned, I am glad it ended relatively well.

Nevin Pratt, CEO
Survival Ops Gear

shoobe01

Established
Oh I hate that last story. Goes into my nightmares.

As a non-credentialed individual, it is my assumption that — for legal and liability reasons — I am bit, hit, cut, shot or at least shot fairly directly AT before I am able to respond in any kinetic manner. I try to always keep an Izzy and/or TQ on me, for this assumption.

But hostages really worry me. Assume you are right there, and are a perfect shot (no worries about hitting the hostage) that day; still way too many variables post-incident. If you don't engage (and there's a bad outcome) you might be a pariah as much as if you do. Ugh.

@shoobe01 I agree with your assessment. But if a towering target is threatening the life of a family member, well, yes, I believe I would have taken the shot.

What if it wasn't family? Would I then have taken the shot? Probably not.

But family? It gets personal, and emotion tends to take over. And that's scary. When emotions run, logic doesn't. I don't think I could have just stood around and done nothing. I think I would have reacted, for good or bad.

It haunts me, too.

Nevin Pratt, CEO
Survival Ops Gear

shoobe01

Established
100% on moral responsibility for family — and even marginal* duty to protect the kids. Family threat is a much earlier tripwire on kinetic responses. Friends... enh, maybe... why aren't they armed, themselves :) ? Store clerk and no direct threat against me/family? Where's the nearest cover again?

+1000 on the attempt to not get emotional. I seem very sedate in everyday life but can see red, and that's one reason I try to get the tripwires defined and locked in. I will react to THIS but nothing short of it, and evaluate things I see, movies, read all these sorts of discussions to get some brain practice in the hopes it sticks.

* Fostered for 10 years, took more than the required classes and asked lots of questions. We did emergency placements so >1 x have had the Sheriff dropping off the kids at 1 am ask if we have guns in the house... for defense! Nothing came up for real but legally they... were real fuzzy on actually saying to shoot someone trying to take a kid away. KS statutes are pretty broad about defense of home, defense of others from not just risk of death but kidnapping, etc but... who wants to go to court to argue that?