External Armor carrier options

Fatboy

Established
Just like the title says. What options are you guys using out there for external carriers for LEO patrol work? Seems like the gold standard is the Mayflower gear options, but I'm curious about other stuff.

Molle, no Molle, fixed pockets, slick, or any combo. I guess specifically, I'm looking for reviews or thoughts on the options out there.

I'm looking for a new carrier for various work details, and here is what I would like (assuming it isn't a unicorn)- black color, patch field front and rear for placards, compatible with various soft armor cuts, place for plates front, back, and sides, and a cummerbund with pockets built in for rifle mags of radios (think similar to an LBT plate carrier), and molle webbing. A built in admin pocket on the chest is a plus as well.
An alternative instead of a new carrier would be a new cummerbund like the previous described one. Suggestions?

Ready? Go!

275RLTW

I think you described the LBT 6094 as you mentioned. Would need to add a few things (Velcro on back ) but not much.

Longeye

Established
I assume you are talking carrier that offers fullwrap soft armor coverage.
If you need to accomodate "various armor cuts" the only thing available are the RSUC's. For a variety of reasons, I consider the RSUC's a non starter.

You called the Mayflower the "Gold Standard". You could also call it TOGIT. The Only Game In Town. Outside of some BALCS options- Mayflower makes them too- there really are no good carriers on the market that address your needs. The Mayflower arguably does.

Myflower does do custom work, and they do a great job of it.

As to your question about configuration, I would go MOLLE front and sides, with rear MOLLE optional. I do not like fixed pockets, because my loadout changes over time. With MOLLE I can change location and type of pockets very easily. The small exception to that would be the front mag pocket on carriers like the Crye JPC which are GTG. The admin pocket doesn't need to be more than a patch pocket to hold a notebook.

Fatboy

Established
I think you described the LBT 6094 as you mentioned. Would need to add a few things (Velcro on back ) but not much.

Does the LBT 6094 hold armor other than plate backers? I was under the impression that it was plates and backers only, not BALCS/ Concealed cut armor compatible.

Longeye

Established
Your correct. The 6094 is only a plate carrier.

You will find that BALCS is a unique enough shape that it is not generally compatible with generic concealment cut armor. The Mayflower LPAAC and LPAAC cut is more similar to concealment cut, but your best bet is to view the soft armor and carrier as a package.

The same goes for plates, which is why I am such a strong advocate for true SAPI shape plates when using PC's or carriers designed around SAPI plates. The only bags that really work with 10x12 plates are the RSUC, and they tend to carry the plates lower than is optimum.

If side plates are something you plan to routinely use, I have been most impressed with Crye JPC side plate bags. They get the plates where they really need to be. And they eliminate the flop normally associated with side plates. There is a cummerbund armor option for the JPC if full wrap side coverage is important to you. I have not used that in conjunction with the side plate bags though. The 6x6 side plates already provide decent flank coverage.

CSomers611

For my everyday external armor carrier I use a LPAAC with custom modifications from Mayflower. I had enough velcro added for my ID Placards on the back and front. I purchased their soft armor as well, I run it with a plates front and rear. I moved most of my gear from my belt to the carrier, the only things I have on my duty belt is (2) sets of handcuffs, my duty holster, my pistol mags and flashlight ring. I wear a LBT-6094 for SRT Operations and run it with multi-hit plates front and rear with soft and hard armor on the sides.

sreidy

Amateur
Guys at my department ether run the Blauer LAPD spec vest carrier or something custom made by http://thevestman.com/ I'm thinking about having one made up by the vest man with added plate pockets to run plates full time.

Kamp

Ive researched this topic a ton when I made the proposal to my dept. The best thing I have found on the market, I had a small amount of input on one of the earlier versions. The front zip carriers from Safariland are well designed and made. Almost every dept that allows external allows for plates, hidden wiring for radioscarriers in my area runs these.

Except for mine, Patrol decided to go with side opening "custom vest carrier" with fixed pockets because they didnt like the zipper in front so instead we have something they decided where the pockets woould go and no customization by the officer because of image. Yet Swat took my recommendation and went with the Oregon City Carrier by Safariland.m out and let me know if you have any questions.

The newest version has gone to the hypalon type material.

https://www.safariland.com/products/body-armor/overt-external-body-armor/overt-external-carriers/

Txsapper

Amateur
My Dept authorizes the Oregon City carrier as an optional carrier for Patrol. I helped get it approved and really like the ability to open the best up to air out, especially in the Texas summers. I am interested in the new Safariland V1 Overt carrier and am trying to get info on it.

Michael

I rock a custom cut Mayflower LPAAC. Fits my ID placards without any issue. Tracing my soft armor was a piece of cake and turn around was 4-6 weeks if I remember correctly. I wear my issued level 2 soft armor with PARACLETE Speed Plate + 10 by 12 hard plates. It runs like a raped ape and I couldn't be any happier with it.

Boy Scout

Michael, would you mind throwing up a pic of your rig? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like with non-Velocity panels in them.

I know everybody loves them, but I had one waaaay back and I just wasn't pleased with the quality of it, or the fit. From best guess, it looks like I had one that was not the right size for me and I didn't know they were proprietary cuts then. One of those things that I didn't know what I had when I had it...

Michael

If it isn't fitted right the slop is horrible. Our issued carriers have ridiculous slop. Literally a piece of crap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 191

Longeye

Established
There is a reason they call the generic units RSUCs. Really Shitty Universal Carriers.

Boy Scout-
The Velocity Systems/Mayflower LPAAC is solid. But trying to put existing "concealed" panels in it is a recipe for failure. It is best viewed as a system. Use the correct panels and the correct carrier.

Using preexisting panels in a quality replacement carrier is like using 1911 mags in a Glock "Because I already have them, and the right mags are expensive."

The LPAAC sizing is BDU based. Large BDU equals Large LPAAC equals Large SAPI, etc.

Boy Scout

Yeah Longeye I figured that out unfortunately the hard way and before I knew better, and after I had moved it on. I think I had a Medium carrier and needed a large. I got lucky after a couple of tries and work with a Diamondback Tactical Outer Patrol Carrier. It's quite a bit older, but it fits my panels like a glove and had what I was looking for in an outer carrier. I'll probably go a different route later, but I'm still working on my loadout/uniform after going back to K9.

JUDAN

Not sure you are going to find all that stuff built in.

I am currently using a discontinued protective products vest I got on eBay for a really good deal brand new.

Also, check out the Safariland external molle that is very professional. You can always get the buckles and panels separately in case you need to run rifle mags or switch load out.

It's funny at the time I needed a BALCS/CIRAS for the panels I had at the time and now I am running just 10x12 cut. If your not running full protective sides I advise just getting buckles for better breathability/comfortability instead of cummerband.

Thresher8-8

Amateur
Late to the party but... I have been running the Mayflower LPC (Law Enforcement Plate Carrier) for about a year. I find it so configurable it can be run how you want. You have an option of their elastic or armor holding & molle cumberbunds. I run the cumberbunds with IIIa 6x11" armor. I run 11x14" IIIa behind III icw plates. The PC uses the Mayflower swift clip placard systems. I have one set up for general patrol. It has pistol mags, tourniquet and K9 e-collar controller. The other is an Esstac Daeodon with 3 AR & 3 pistol mags. It takes me about 2-3 seconds to change out placards. The cumberbunds hold radio, flashlight & FLIR. Everything else goes on my belt.

The set up is rather light weight with tons of adjustability. There is a high chest admin pocket and kangaroo pocket which I carry an extra AR mag. Velcro front and rear for ID. Shoulder straps have cushion for comfortable all shift wear. If you wanted to go low vis the PC can be stripped down. Go no placard, elastic sides, no plates (soft armor only) and take off female placard holders. It sits very close to the body then. The whole system is very configurable. My agency runs Ranger Green but Black is an option.

SQUID

My Dept authorizes the Oregon City carrier as an optional carrier for Patrol. I helped get it approved and really like the ability to open the best up to air out, especially in the Texas summers. I am interested in the new Safariland V1 Overt carrier and am trying to get info on it.

The Safariland Overt V is a not a ver carrier, and a good Safariland representative will tell you that. You can even go to the main Safariland website and there are not any good reviews last time I checked.

Our department originally got one to test and when it arrived, I pointed out all the inadequacies. First, the side panels have spandex which will make the vest flop when weight is applied to the front (i.e. Pouches, etc.). The 'laser cut' molle is not very durable. It looks cool if you don't have gear on it but won't stand up very well once you put gear on.

We have finished up our tests of the Bothell Carrier and are going with it and the Oregon City Carrier as our patrol choices. I really love my set up, very durable, comfortable, and dons/doffs very easily. Hope this helps.

SQUID

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SQUID

The Safariland Overt V is a not a ver carrier, and a good Safariland representative will tell you that. You can even go to the main Safariland website and there are not any good reviews last time I checked.

Our department originally got one to test and when it arrived, I pointed out all the inadequacies. First, the side panels have spandex which will make the vest flop when weight is applied to the front (i.e. Pouches, etc.). The 'laser cut' molle is not very durable. It looks cool if you don't have gear on it but won't stand up very well once you put gear on.

We have finished up our tests of the Bothell Carrier and are going with it and the Oregon City Carrier as our patrol choices. I really love my set up, very durable, comfortable, and dons/doffs very easily. We will be going with black instead of the blue to match our jumpsuits. Hope this helps.

SQUID

aadaa1e57b05e9a0a268a5bec3134eb4.jpg