Everyday Carry Consistency

JHaddock07

Amateur
Given the social media trends of people posting (in many cases) wildly different firearm "EDC" setups from day to day, what does the collective mind think about this? For the purpose of this discussion I want to focus on the pistol from a concealed-carry or off-duty perspective specifically, and not the potential supporting components (knives / flashlights / spare magazines / medical gear / etc). An example of the trend in question would be to see a G19 one day, and a J-Frame the next, followed by a 1911 the day after that.

I personally carry the same pistol, ALMOST every day. The only variance I will have is if I'm entering an extremely non-permissive setting in which case I have a G43.

In my mind, consistency is key. Although the fundamentals of employing a handgun are largely the same across varying pistol platforms, familiarity with potentially life saving equipment is key to me.

Longeye

Established
You are in the right track.
Like you, I carry one type of pistol pretty much all the time and deviate only for very restrictive dress occasions by carrying a SW Shield.
I went so far as to carry/train/shoot the same type pistol (M&P) as my issue piece. In my mind, the commonality is a good thing. I might have felt different if I was issued something like a legacy SIG, but even then, I would ultimately figure the only way to master the awful trigger system would be to extensively live with it.

I cut my teeth on 1911 and Glocks, and really hated the issued early model M&P at first. But I figured I was more likely to get in a gunfight with it on duty than anything I preferred, so I may as well get excellent with it.
Over time that happened, and I get along with the M&P quite well now.

There is alot to be said for carrying the same piece into harm's way that you just won a match with, or spent a Saturday shooting gophers with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FosterEDC

Roland, reload, folding knife, flashlight, wallet, creds.

EDC - in its true meaning.

Special circumstances would dictate different options.

My set up is the same except swap creds for a TQ in the pocket. Im a civ so no creds to carry except my medical license. Have considered some type of minimal ankle IFAK. I used to carry one in the back pocket opposite the wallet, but ended up using part of it on someone and have just went with the TQ since. Only real varriations over the past year has been as my 19 has morphed into a Roland.

ajsomp

Emerson CQC 7 knife, streamlight protac, wallet, cell phone and Glock 19 or 43, and depending on which holster/gun combo, a spare mag. I have a med kit in my backpack, both cars, around the house, so I try to keep some of the other RDC items off my body. I want to try looping a RATS tourniquet under my belt and see if there is any appreciable difference.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Glock, 1 or 2 reloads, Surefire Eb2, Leatherman, CAT, wallet(creds), cellphone, chap stick, nylon handcuffs.

All the time. I add to this, not take away.

Obviously this is my off duty carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock, reload, creds/wallet, TQ, Chest seal, Clinch pick, phone, light (If not carrying weapon light on the weapon, I my just stick the X300U in my pocket, otherwise it's a Fury.) I've gotten to the point where this setup is religious. I scale up depending where I go but this gear is the constant. Everything else goes in a small pack that stays glued to me most of the time, situation dependent.

k4man

When I'm off duty I carry a glock 23 or 43, reload, knife, flashlight, wallet, and creds ...almost forgot nylon handcuffs.

ffemt11b

G19, spare 17 mag with 5 round extension, folder, Clinch-pic, SF Defender, wallet keys, 2 phones, creds, And usually a 38 on my ankle. I'd like to add a TQ and come trauma stuff but haven't.

Unless I'm drinking (which is rare that I do that outside my house) or at the gym.

c_swart

Quantified Performance
M&p with a trl1, Emerson knife, streamlight protac 1L duel fuel, wallet and cell phone.... Same thing every day

jnc36rcpd

While I really don't care for my issue FNS9, that's the weapon I carry off duty. If the JM Peterson IWB works out, I'll start carrying it with the TLR-1 attached. I will go with a Shield when working out or in regulated states. I think sticking with the same set-up is advantageous to pretty much everyone including gimlet eyed gunslingers.

Off duty, I carry a reload and handcuffs in a 4LEOS carrier along with a Spyderco and a Powertac flashlight.

Dr. Cornwallis

I carry the same thing every day unless circumstances dictate I carry less/ something smaller. I carry a G19 AIWB.

I don't think its particularly wise to constantly change firearms. Find a platform and stick to it.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I carry an M&P 9 + APL, Leatherman multitool (that includes knife), penlight, wallet, phone, keys. In January I bought a IWB mag carrier, so now I carry a reload.

This is what I carry every single day, from the time I get dressed in the morning to when I go to bed. Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, doesn't matter. Part of that is discipline, but most of it is the lack of other carry-able guns. I'm heavily looking into getting a smaller gun for NPEs and gym carry, but can't finance that kind of purchase right now.

OK-5-0

Since the OP wanted to talk guns, I'll keep it in that realm. My tendency is either to carry my Roland Special appendix or a plain Jane G2 Glock 19 appendix. It really just depends on how much sitting or traveling I'll be doing for the day. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Roland so I go to it more often than not.

The two examples listed above differ from my duty carry, a Sig P320, but the change has not caused any faults in my training from going back and forth.

tylerw02

I switch up. I carry a G19 of VP9 summer carry, Roland or G34 in the fall/winter/spring depending on garments. I figure striker-fire guns are mostly the same, functionally. I am proficient with each of them. The main difference is may release...I've not ever had an issue going back and forth.

I compete with the VP9 in production division...for what it's worth.

I'm not big on switching my EDC. At work it's my issued M&P .40, on my own time it's my Gen4 G19 99% of the time, with the G43 filling the roll when I need something small due to how I am dressed. Obviously the M&P and G19 are different guns, but other than the grip angle (non issue for me) you make them go bang the exact same way.

afi1

My primary duty assignment is plain clothes, narcotics investigations. The firearms issued by the narcotics agency are a Gen 4 Glock 30, and a Ruger LCP. For my purposes, the LCP is never carried. My home agency issues a Gen 4 Glock 21. While operating in a plain clothes capacity, I carry the Glock 30, with a flush-fit 9rd magazine in the appendix position in a RCS VG2. When performing overt tactical operations like open air take-downs, vehicle assaults, or search warrant executions, I carry my Glock 21 with X300U in an SLS single strap drop leg rig. When off duty, I carry the same Glock 30 in the appendix position in the same RCS VG2. Where I issued a M&P at work, I would likely carry an M&P off duty. The same for Sig or anything else.

I am a firm believer in consistency of carry, and only on rare occasions (less than 5 times in the past year) will I carry anything else. In those cases, I carry a Ruger LCR in a pocket holster. This is usually when doing UC vice work where I will likely be removing clothing during the operation, and do not want to expose the firearm to the suspect(s). In my training and practice, I have not experienced much difficulty getting good hits on target when switching from a Glock to the LCR. That being said, I am not re-loading the LCR. In circumstances that dictate it’s carry, I am not able to carry a reload. The gun is a last resort, and its use is to buy time for my UC rescue team to make entry and solve the problem.

Switching between firearms with a different trigger types, safeties, controls etc. without a good reason seems to be borrowing potential trouble to me.

SCSU74

I probably am in the minority, but to me EDC means gun (w/ reload)/knife/light/creds. I don't always carry the same type of each, but I do carry one of each every time I leave the house. I carry hammer/striker/revolver and keep up training on all 3. I'm comfortable with any of the 3 and on-duty carry all 3 on a daily basis. The light is usually an lx2, but I rotate in smaller protac versions from time to time. Knife is either a Strider SMF or Emerson w/wave. Creds are always the same.