"Essential" Glock upgrades?

For duty or carry, what do you guys consider to be the "essential" upgrades from factory status on a Glock?

For me:
New sights (I like Trijicon HD's)
Vickers slide stop
Vickers mag release
TD/10-8 base plates.
Grip Force Adaptor

What else? Connector, trigger, internals? I am excluding permanent modifications like texturing or undercutting the trigger.

ptrlcop

Established
Essential? I could make it work pretty good with just a set of steel sights.

Here is my list of options in the order of importance to me:

1: steel sights
2: but plug (I have a tendency to catch the case rim on the back of the magwel without them)
3: vickers mag release.

I could be very happy with just those things.

4: minus connector
5: RMR
6: some limited
stippling

Grizzly

My glocks get:
1. Steel sights with at least the front being shiny at night.
2. Vicker's mag release
3. Minus connector
4. Vicker's Slide release
5. Stippling for my off hand thumb
6. Grip force adapter if gen 3 or below

Rootbeer

Amateur
I can't outshoot any of pistols, but my current 19 has :

Full frame stippling
Trigger well undercut
Slide milling
RMR
3.5lb trigger
Extended Mag release
Supressor sights - Trijicon FSP

But, that is only one pistol.

For me, the ESSENTIAL is a fiberoptic FSP or a Trijicon FSP. I can work with everything else just fine.

AMK

Like everyone has said steel sights are number one. 10-8 - blacked out rear, trit or fiber front.

The plug - echoing ptrlcop.

Vickers mag release. I also like that area scalloped.

I used to like the Vickers SS, but am getting away from that on the FS pistols.

I texture my pistols, nothing crazy, but a discreet dimple pattern. I really wish they would bring back RTF2 without the fish gills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sglenyc

Gun works just fine as is. Factory night sights in '99, changed them last year for the same but brighter(Tritrium has a half life of 12 years) I haven't done anything to my gen 3 19 except shoot the shit out of it. 200k+ rounds and probably a million dry fires. Do what you want to the gun just make sure you don't break it making changes

T.Dubbs

I think a Glock has all the basic essentials (other than sights) covered, as they shoot just fine right out of the box.

But for me, modifications are generation specific. For Gen 3 (or earlier gens), a quality sight upgrade (for all Glocks) is a must. I like a 3.5lb connector (I run Ghost Inc, but pick your poison), a 6lb trigger return spring, an extended magazine catch, an "emergency parts kit" stashed in the grip cavity with a grip plug to secure it, and an aggressive stipple job.

In Generation 4 Glocks, I find the factory texture to be adequate for me. I add a Gen 3 trigger w/trigger bar, Ghost Ultimate 3.5lb connector, 6lb trigger return spring, quality sights, extended magazine catch, emergency parts kit w/grip plug, and the factory medium beavertail.

I really like a good beavertail. It helps me to index my hand better on the draw. I am also experimenting with a Grip Force Adapter on a Gen3. I have yet to decide on whether or not I like it.

KMo1205

For my Glock 17 Gen4 upgrades in order of importance to me:

1. New sights (Warne Tactical, red fiber optic front, black back sights)
2. Vickers mag release
3. Glock beaver tail back strap
4. Vickers slide release
5. Talon grip
6. Ghost 4.5 lbs connector

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I keep it simple:

1) New sights (all my pistols currently have Warren Tactical black rear-red fiber optic front)
2) Factory extended slide release..
3) I undercut the trigger guard and also cut a little notch for my support hand
4) I prefer a stippled grip so that's something I always do
5) I cut a few notches on the sides of the grip for stripping a mag if needed. I know there's the hole in the back for that but it's easier for me to do it from the sides.

That's pretty much all I do.

Ike

PM07

Staff member
Issued Duty gun: Grip force adapter , new sights and skateboard tape.
Off duty/BUG Glocks: Grip force adapter, new sights and skateboard tape.

See a pattern here? :D
I don't do aftermarket triggers. Shoot it enough and it will smooth itself out. If I ever get to where I can outshoot a factory barrel then I will look at KKMs replacement. I do plan on RMR'ing a Glock this year since my experiment with a T1 on Ruger MK 3 has worked so well.

Paul_Hotaling

Alias Training & Security Services
My prefered Glock set-up. My G19/17/34 are all set up this way, minus a Sentinel Designs magwell for my G19 for now. I have not found one yet.

Wilson Combat Match Barrel
Dawson Precision Adjustable Sight
Crimson Trace Laser Grips - Custom Textured
Glock OEM 3.5 Pound Connector
Vickers slide stop
Vickers mag release
Sentinel Designs Magwell for G17/34
Some magazines have Vickers magazine base plates.
Glock OEM no textured trigger on all of them.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
My prefered Glock set-up...
Sentinel Designs Magwell for G17/34
Some magazines have Vickers magazine base plates...

Paul, I thought the Sentinel magwell was incompatible with the Vickers basepads. Did you have to do anything to get them to work/fit?

- Jake

KMo1205

Perhaps this has turned from "Essential" Glock upgrades to a discussion on how we set our Glocks up (I'm guilty). For me, the only truly essential upgrades are new sights and the beaver tail back strap. I have massive, lumberjack hands that get hit by the slide with each shot without the beaver tail, something that cannot be remedied with a low axis pistol and hand. And I have always hated the plastic sights on Glocks. All other upgrades are nice and preferred, but not essential for day to day use.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Perhaps this has turned from "Essential" Glock upgrades to a discussion on how we set our Glocks up (I'm guilty). For me, the only truly essential upgrades are new sights and the beaver tail back strap. I have massive, lumberjack hands that get hit by the slide with each shot without the beaver tail, something that cannot be remedied with a low axis pistol and hand. And I have always hated the plastic sights on Glocks. All other upgrades are nice and preferred, but not essential for day to day use.

I suspect that's because we all have different needs; I hate the beavertail backstrap because I have small hands. Some amount of "necessary for me but not for you" is expected and appropriate, I think.

For me, no changes are ESSENTIAL. I greatly prefer 10-8 sights, a grip reduction/stipple, an X300U, and a 3.5# connector...but I can shoot a stock Glock well enough in a pinch.

- Jake

Detmongo

Amateur
For me not much can be done to work issued or authorized guns. One of my duty guns has stock Glock NS that's it. My personal authorized work guns a 26 & 19 have Warren sights, G17 smooth triggers and butt plugs.

rob_s

A couple of weeks earlier and I'd have answered this differently. I'm about to convert everything over to Gen 4 guns, and the only thing I'm changing on the new guns initially is to change the sights. Once I have the new gun(s) I may go to the same recipe as the current guns but initially it will be sights only.

Old recipe (current guns are set up this way) was:
-Trijicon HDs (green) (Taran Tactical - green, new G34 will get same)
-Glocktriggers Guardian (Vogel on competition guns, new G34 will get one too most likely)
-Tango Down Vickers slide stop
-Tango Down Vickers mag release

I'll have three G19s, a G26, a G43, a G42, and a G34 to outfit, so rolling out the upgrades slowly won't "hurt" as much!

Mick

For duty weapons what policy language/ documentation are you guys using for agency approvals .... With - connectors, non- factory trigger upgrades, barrels, etc. (Stuff other than sights, mag release, and slide stop)
Thanks

SCSU74

For my duty guns:
- HD sights
- Grip work (remove finger grooves & re-texture, 360 grip texturing, add frame flat texturing and undercut trigger guard)
- vickers mag release
- +2 factory extensions on all 4 mags
- GFA

Off-duty:
- Exactly the same except I don't texture the body side as aggressively

jwood1284

I've settled on the following for my CCW G19 gen3

Dawson Charger rear with red F/O front sight
Polish factory trigger bar, FP safety plunger, & connector (nothing serious, q-tip and Mothers)
Vickers extended slide stop (lefty, helps with index finger release)
Vickers extended mag release

I'm slowly making my G17 & G19 gen4 match