EOTech question...

Wrench

First time poster, hope im not breaking any rules... looking to get a sight for my Colt 6721, iv been looking at EOTech sights, its use would be for target plinking mainly up to 100 yds, the two im considering are the Model 512 and Model EXPS2, which one would be for me?

JLL2013

I'd go with the Vortex UH-1 over the EOTech. Better design and supposedly better at resisting thermal drift and delamination.

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
I've been running an EXPS 2-0 for about 5 months on an SBR.

Good
I've run 1500ish rounds or so in that time frame. The reticle is very fast for acquiring targets. 65 MOA ring is especially useful at close range (under 15 yards) for the offset. Mount has been tight, not come loose during this time. I had to remove the optic on two different occasions and it maintained zero both times. Field of view with a front sight post is good if using the EXPS (1/3 co-witness model). No battery issues, I'm still using the battery I installed after acquiring the sight. I haven't noticed significant thermal drift. I zeroed it in January in Texas when it was cold. Will be interesting to see if there are any issues in the hot Texas summer.

Less than ideal
Having run Aimpoint Micro's exclusively until acquiring the EOTech, the weight of the sight is noticeable, and just one more example of oz=lbs. My damn SBR (w/ light and suppressor) weighs more than my 16" LW rifle! Reticle shuts off after 4 or 8 hours, so not ideal on a "under the bed" defensive weapon.

All of my experience is on a one way range or hunting in Texas.

NC

Mike_IA

Thermal drift has been fixed in newer model EOTECHs (the ones with the “E” logo not the older circle reticle) to the same or less than aimpoint mico T-2s, download a manual and read it.

Also another best practice is to check 0 on your defensive guns twice a year- your ammo is more thermally sensitive than other parts of the system.

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
So how would the Eotech Holo compare to a Aimpoint Red dot? Thank you for the replys everyone.

A comparison in many ways is subjective. One person may really like the reticle on the EO E/XPS and another may prefer the dot in an Aimpoint. As an example, I like the weight and simplicity of the Aimpoint Micro, but the dot is more of a "starish thing" to me account I have an astigmatism. The EO Tech reticle presents a better image for my eyesight, but its heavier.

Weight, ruggedness, quality of optic are less subjective. Both brands of optics are in use with Mil and LE. I would suggest finding a shop where you can put your hands on the EO Tech and Aimpoint. Look thru them, handle them, see what you think of the controls on each, etc. If you can find a range that rents firearms, they may have one or both of the optics mounted on a rental rifle.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
So how would the Eotech Holo compare to a Aimpoint Red dot? Thank you for the replys everyone.

For me that depends greatly on its intended use. For a work gun (IE - free batteries that are replaced before every mission and the ability to swap the optic if there are any problems) I go with an EOTech. I have similar issues with my eyes that make the EOTech reticle much clearer. However if it comes to a home defense rifle where I purchased it personally and need it to be ready the second I pick the gun up I went with a T2. The ability to leave it always on and increased durability over an EOTech outweigh the reticle deficiencies in that role.

If its purely used as a range gun I would go EOTech.

Rick

Erik

Amateur
Depends on the battery you would like to use, the 512 has the benefit of having easier to source batteries, the EXPS2 runs on CR123 batteries which can be harder to source and more expensive. I have personally never had issues with thermal drift I have owned 20 or so Eotechs over the years and have used them in the heat of Arizona, California Mojave, and the Middle East. I would go with an Eotech or Aimpoint over the Romeo5 I tend to go with proven designs, but best of luck!