Eotech consensus post lawsuit

After everything that has happened with eotech, I still liked mine. However, mine had reticle fade so I had to send it back. With that being said, and all aimpoints, mro's and whatever else aside, I was wondering if any of you have any experience or information on newer units made 2014 or later. I have contacted eotech and they claim that the moisture incursion problem has been resolved midway through 2014. I want to get a second opinion and/or as much info as I can before purchasing another one. It seems to me that any electronic sight will have some degree of thermal drift. I had a 553/ no magnifier for a while and loved it. Im not particularly worried about getting burned because they have made "don't like it?, send it back for a refund" their permanent policy going forward.

Thanks for the help

Longeye

Established
EOTech again?
Is this for real or is this a hobby gun?
EOTech has been improving their sights ever since they came out more than a decade ago. Everytime they do there is a run on the newest revision number... and the new number still sucks, it just has different problems than the previous revisions. Someday they might fix all the things that are wrong and do it all in the same model.

Why bother with the drama? There is no nostaligia that will win a gunfight. And a great warranty does you no good in a gunfight. It is a red dot sight. So is the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint line works every time and regardless of model. Aimpoint has no revision numbers because they have not had to fix any chronic problems.

Get an Aimpoint if this is a working gun.
If this a hobby gun get an Aimpoint anyway, because the price is the same. When you get bored, you can sell the AP to one of us who actually use it and scratch it up.

I'm aware of aimpoint's track record. I'm not here for an eotech vs aimpoint discussion as noted. Please provide specifics on why recent eotech sights "suck". I'm curious about this issue or not I buy an aimpoint, eotech, or keep the a3 carry handle on it. While I agree that a warranty won't save you when it lets go, I don't want to overlook it and I'm curious about what's going on with them (specifically). I haven't heard anything about them since the suit and completely understand why. I probably will get an aimpoint but just want to check the eotech out as well.

Longeye

Established
Well, in more than a decade of producing sub duty grade products at premium prices, nothing EOtech has done has excelled or given me reason believe in the product.

I fail to see how getting very successfully and expensively sued will overcome grave engineering problems, and result in a product worthy of duty use or cash being spent. EOTech had the Golden Goose by the balls. They had plenty of time and money available to cure the problems inherent with their design. Instead they chose to jump on GG's balls with golf shoes and send him a bill for it.

Getting sued and paying back massive amounts of money does not magically make the product improve. If this product was improvable, EOtech would have done it long ago. It isn't and they didn't.

Wishing that EOtech is or could be viable does not make it so.

Consider:
-They are still thermally unstable.
-Battery life is still only 600 claimed hours.
-They still inexplicably shut off, or fail to start in the first place.

I didn't start out to make this an AP vs. EO thing, but there are only three RDS players. EO is arguably not one of them. And the MRO is pretty new, albeit with generally decent reviews. That leaves the Swedes.

The warranty is non starter, because the two competitors have always had a solid warranty, and EO is more than a decade late with a viable warranty. There are two reasons for that; business and marketing. Neither of those are good for you as a user. Business: EO product was so bad they couldn't afford to stand behind it. Marketing: Their product reputation is now proven to be so bad they can't afford not to stand behind the product.

Ask yourself (honestly) what EO does that the others don't.

I would have liked for Helen Keller to have regained her vision too, but it just wasn't in the cards...

Well, in more than a decade of producing sub duty grade products at premium prices, nothing EOtech has done has excelled or given me reason believe in the product.

I fail to see how getting very successfully and expensively sued will overcome grave engineering problems, and result in a product worthy of duty use or cash being spent. EOTech had the Golden Goose by the balls. They had plenty of time and money available to cure the problems inherent with their design. Instead they chose to jump on GG's balls with golf shoes and send him a bill for it.

Getting sued and paying back massive amounts of money does not magically make the product improve. If this product was improvable, EOtech would have done it long ago. It isn't and they didn't.

Wishing that EOtech is or could be viable does not make it so.

Consider:
-They are still thermally unstable.
-Battery life is still only 600 claimed hours.
-They still inexplicably shut off, or fail to start in the first place.

I didn't start out to make this an AP vs. EO thing, but there are only three RDS players. EO is arguably not one of them. And the MRO is pretty new, albeit with generally decent reviews. That leaves the Swedes.

The warranty is non starter, because the two competitors have always had a solid warranty, and EO is more than a decade late with a viable warranty. There are two reasons for that; business and marketing. Neither of those are good for you as a user. Business: EO product was so bad they couldn't afford to stand behind it. Marketing: Their product reputation is now proven to be so bad they can't afford not to stand behind the product.

Ask yourself (honestly) what EO does that the others don't.

I would have liked for Helen Keller to have regained her vision too, but it just wasn't in the cards...

I get what you're saying, you've got some good points. Sometimes a small design changes are all that's needed to fix the problem. For me the thermal drift doesn't pose a big problem. For the military, it is a huge problem. Moisture incursion, however is a big problem. I will likely stay away for now. All electro optics have thermal drift. It's just the way the ball rolls. To what extent is the question. The trijicon mro, which has similar circuitry as the aimpoints was determined to also have thermal drift. I am going to do more research into the thermal drift issue and report back. To me if eotech fixed the seal around the lenses or sealing surfaces (not complicated), they'd be good to go. In my estimation, the reason they make a design change may have to do with patents and or gov contracts. They may have had to flat out admit to the gov that the F'ed up to make the improvement. To make a small design change could Hault mfg of all models and retool, retrain, etc etc which would have screwed them on contracts. I'm pretty sure something along these lines happened.

Longeye

Established
I'm pretty sure something along these lines happened.

Why? What is your basis for speculation?

You are reading more into this than there is. EOtech/L3 is far more nimble than you give them credit for. The small (and big) design changes happened, but the underlying problem never went away.

This is a simple Pass/Fail equation.