Elite TWO's Critical Shoot, Stage 1

Bravo1ResQ

Amateur
Course: Critical Shooting, Stage 1

Company: Elite T.W.O. (Tactical Waterborne Officer)

Date: 12 March 2016

Instructor: Roberto “Justice” Narvaez

Overview: (Per the website) “After you receive your CCL this course is the next step! Understanding the dynamics of shooting means survival. Its the difference between being an "Asset" or a "Liability". What we'll cover; Malfunctions in the field when seconds count understanding your mindset under pressure. Cover & Concealment. Identify Threats and being aware of collateral damage. Shoot No Shoot decisions. Weapons Awareness conducting immediate reaction drills allows us to understand the bodies natural mechanics. Confrontations and closing the reactionary distance. During the last section of training we will cover timed shooting. Reaction time is everything so be prepared safely. Move, Moving, Move lastly closing the gap between you and the threat.”

Equipment:
Weapon: G19/ Gen 4 w/ Surefire X300UB
Ammo: 115gr Blazer Brass
Holster: Forest City Tactical OWB Light Bearing Holster
Belt: RDR Gear EDC Belt
Outerwear: Unknown/Can’t Remember
Target Type: B29 Black Target

TD1: This was a one-day pistol training course designed to enhance the civilian concealed carrier’s skill set. The day started with a safety brief covering the 4 rules of firearm safety. Next was a discussion and loose demonstration of proper grip, stance, sight alignment and sight picture. Shooters were brought to the 5yd line and asked to demonstrate their interpretation of proper stance and grip. During this part of the course the Mr. Narvaez was assisting a fellow student on proper shooting stance and stated, “Forget about weaver stance and isosceles stance, this is what I have developed.” He then proceeded to demonstrate the isosceles shooting stance. I asked him to show me the stance he developed and what he demonstrated to me was no different than the isosceles shooting stance. We then were shown how to draw from an unconcealed holster. The instructed draw was an over exaggerated “L” motion of establishing a grip on the pistol in the holster and drawing the pistol up to the armpit/nipple line then rotating the muzzle toward the threat. The support hand is used to defend oneself until the pistol is oriented towards the threat, then it comes back to the weapon to begin establishing a firm two handed grip on the gun. We ran through several repetitions of drawing the pistol from an unconcealed holster until the instructor appeared satisfied with what he saw. We were given instruction to load and make ready and we fired several strings of single and double shot groups to center mass of the targets at 5yds. Following this we were given a break, during which, the concept of drawing the pistol from concealment was discussed but not demonstrated. Following the break, we returned to the 5yd line and continued to shoot “double taps” to center mass of the target for approximately 100 rds. We moved back to the 10yd line and continued “double taps” to center mass of the targets. Provided the rounds landed inside of the 8 ring, little instruction was provided on how to improve speed or accuracy. There was some encouragement of, “speed it up” but no instruction on how to improve speed through economy of motion or other efficiencies. During another break we received a discussion on how to not be a liability when the time comes, but to be ready to assist law enforcement against an armed aggressor. I asked about the liability associated with this and his response was to “comply with law enforcement but to be ready to assist.” During the tail end of this break I off lined with Mr. Narvaez and asked him about his credentials and most recent training. He explained to me he was a prior interdiction guy for the coast guard until retirement and stays up to date with his training with his fellow instructors by running one another through drills. It was at this point I considered leaving the class but I wanted to see the class through and see how the rest of the course went. Our next course of fire was situational based. We were paired off and instructed to walk toward the targets. At some point we would be given the command of “threat” to which we would draw our pistols, fire several rounds each then communicate with one another as to who would run back first to provide cover fire for the other to move in a bound. We bounded back to the 15yd line during this exercise before being called to an end. The next exercise was similar; however, we were paired with two other students who acted as role players. Their instruction was to distract us during our engagement by pulling on us, trying to step in front of us etc. I brought up the safety issue with his and Narvaez instructed everyone to ensure they were not stepping in front of a firearm during this iteration. We ran this exercise once each. The final exercise was a simulation of being in a car (using plastic seats that were on the range). We were given a scenario description which included three gunmen appearing, shooting our car to a point of being disabled, engaging the targets with multiple rounds, conducting reloads, and bounding back to the 25yd line before having the exercise end. This concluded the course. We were given closing remarks and talked about other courses Elite TWO offered. I stayed behind to talk to Narvaez. Through the course of our discussion he explained how all of his courses were CLEET certified. I mentioned how the course seemed a little scattered and didn’t have a good flow. I inquired about a lesson plan and he responded that he didn’t have a lesson plan and he teaches each class to the students in the class and their expertise. I said nothing else and returned home to a bourbon where I contemplated all of this.

I would not recommend any course that Elite TWO offers. With that, they boast a partnership with “OKC Tactical”, which is another training company in Oklahoma and I would not recommend training with them either simply through association. I should have listened to my gut and left the class, but I would have always wondered about it. I’m glad I stuck around to the end so I can say with confidence this is a strong non-recommend. What was experienced in the course was a far cry from the description of the course.