Eleven 10/Cleer Medical 8 Hour Self-Aid/Buddy-Aid class

No_avatar

Eleven 10/Cleer Medical 8 Hour Self-Aid/Buddy-Aid class

December 18, 2015

Avon PD, Avon, OH

Eleven 10/Cleer Medical’s one day Self-Aid/Buddy-Aid is 8 hours of TCCC fundamentals taught by Eleven 10 and Cleer Medical’s staff EMTs Matt Babika, Bill Janson and Mike Giddich. The class is split approximately 80/20 between practical skills labs and classroom instruction.

We spent approximately the first 90 minutes of class time on a basic history of combat care under fire, definitions of hot/warm/cold zones proximal to a crisis site, causes of death, basic anatomy and physiology and then the core medical skills that LEO and MIL actors need in tactical situations including:

Rapid assessment of downed persons;

Proper application of tourniquets;

Packing of penetrating traumatic injuries with hemostatic and non-hemostatic agents;

Use of pressure dressings;

Airway control;

Treatment of thoracic injuries; and

Shock management.

After the skills lecture, the last bit of the classroom session concerned IFAK contents. The instructor’s experience and expertise held everyone’s attention in the classroom. The lecture was logically organized and a good summary of the information necessary to treat traumatic gunshot and blast caused injuries.

After classroom, we moved right into the practical portion of the class. The practical exercises are the real benefit of the course. I have been attending medical training, including EMT school, for almost 20 years, and the simulation gear and scenarios set up by Cleer were the most realistic I’ve ever experienced. We worked in Avon PD’s ample garage area which, fortunately has floor drains to siphon off liquids that ended upon the floor.

Practicals included application of CAT and SWAT-T tourniquets, pressure bandages, chest seals, and the proper use of hemostatic agents and gauze. Everything was done on self and partners except wound packing, which was conducted using simulated ranger gauze on a simulated chunk of flesh with a deep, bleeding wound. To top off the realism, synthetic blood was pumped through the flesh that actually clotted when the wound was appropriately packed and pressure applied. It stained like real blood, too, making a trip to 5 Guys somewhat frightening for the cashier.

All of the disposable medical equipment we used during the practicals (tourniquets, pressure bandages, ranger gauze, chest seals) was new and packaged. This enhanced realism by demonstrating how opening mylar packages with bloody gloves is more challenging than anyone ever thinks.

After lunch, sceneario based practicals began. The scenarios were the medical equivalent of force-on-force shoot house situations. This is, there was an in-brief for each responding medical team, then that team had to blindly enter the crisis site and address injured parties appropriately. Without giving anything away, responders had to apply all of the skills taught in the class in the appropriate order, starting with assessment, and making appropriate treatment decisions. I.E. treating for shock before addressing bleeding would likely result in patient death and scenario failure.

After everyone cycled through the scenarios, but before the fake blood on everyone’s clothes dried, we took a short multiple choice written exam. Anyone awake during the practicals passed. Critiques followed. As far as I can remember, no one had anything negative to say.

Although the curriculum has been blessed by the Ohio Tactical Officers Association, certain admin aspects of the class are still in the planning stage. Therefore, at this time, no medical supplies are provided upon completion and price is TBD. That is unfortunate, because Eleven 10 and Cleer have some cool gear on their websites. One item in particular I thought was very innovative was Cleer's flat packed Israeli bandages.

http://www.cleermedical.com/cl...al-trauma-bandage-4/

I’ve never seen anything like them before, but what a good idea. Cleer eliminated the extra length of a typical Israeli and then had them z-folded to make them much more compact.

If you or your organization is looking for concise, thorough and realistic training in TCCC, this class is a great option.

www.1110gear.com

www.cleermedical.com