EDC IFAK's / BOK's / Medical

Bronson

Fury
I have been experimenting with several solutions for Low Profile / No Profile Requirements and will be posting them here.

RE Factor MDC (Multi-Mode Discrete Carry)

10898073_410073359150279_5295245566882954827_n.jpg
My requirements for an EDC IFAK are patterned after Self-Aid - primarily Hemorrhage Control.

Applying a Tourniquet (TQ), packing a wound with gauze, and applying a compression bandage are all Self-Aid skillsets that require corresponding medical devices.

You will have to determine exactly how far you are willing to trade off and compromise between effectiveness and concealability.

The issue I ran into when selecting medical devices for inclusion into the RE Factor MDC is that the size of the slots are just too small in both depth and width.

Large Size Pocket: The large-size pocket easily fits a SWAT-T, but I prefer a dedicated compression bandage with a wound pad. The H&H Mini Compression Bandage is a smaller compression bandage compared to others on the market and this not as effective as others. I selected it because of concealability reasons even though it is less effective compared to full-size pressure bandages.

Mid-Size Pocket #2: The Quikclot Combat Gauze was a tad too large for the mid-size pocket, while the Quikclot Combat Gauze Z-Fold and the Celox Rapid could both be packed to fit with an additional one as well. I prefer to have 2x Hemostatic Gauze items for large wound channels and/or multiple wounds based on my experiences overseas. I also place my medical gloves here due to space and layering considerations (if I am going to use gauze, I may want medical gloves on first).

Mid-Size Pocket #3: This fits a SOFT-TW TQ. The SOFT-TW is my preferred universal TQ. While the CAT is easier and faster to apply on arm extremities by oneself, the SOFT-TW is capable of performing that mission as well as being a superior choice for leg injuries based on a metal windlass and clasp design.

Mid-Size Slot #4: I have a HALO Chest Seal rolled up in there. This is not an ideal method of storing chest seals and I will have to replace them at a faster rate but I am making do with what I have available. The HALO is my preferred chest seal, though I may experiment with other models that fit better.

The other slots (4) are smaller and more suited to Sharpies / 14 Gauge Needles / Chemlights.

I have 1 Sharpie next to the TQ and 2x Decompression Needles in the bother small slots. For Self-Aid I don't see myself needing to stick myself in most situations and don't consider them needed in a CONUS IFAK as a tension pneumothorax takes awhile to set in. However I have the needles, the space is there, and it allows for a more capable IFAK so they stay. The slot isn't large enough for an NPA.

There are 2-3 Velcro straps to secure medical devices, this is also an area to attach safety pins which have a myriad of medical uses.

While the fabric allows some stretch to fit items, the durability just isn't there and the fabric will fray and rip just by placing some oversize items in. This is likewise exacerbated by daily wear and tear. I may have to use black 100MPH Tape to secure some slots as a precautionary measure.

Product Improvement Recommendations:

1) Increased Modularity

End Users will have varying requirements. By increasing modularity of the MDC, you are able to not only cater to a broader consumer base but also maximize the efficacy of them.

This can be done by having smaller strips of Velcro used to adjoin slots to allow them to be larger or smaller depending on end user requirements. Versatility is key.

2) Make More Efficient Use Of Space

Half the MDC is simply Velcro backing to secure itself. This could have been expanded by adding more pockets for medical devices around the entire MDC and allow end users more freedom of load carriage and increased loadout capabilities.

3) Eliminate Some Smaller Slots

Small slots can house Sharpies, Chest Decompression Needles (ARS, Mojodart), Chemlights.

However, for a low profile IFAK I do not need 4 slots for these items. Odds are I will not be using Chemlights at all in EDC application.

4) Make System Slightly Larger

While the system is designed to fit around everything from your ankle to around your abdomen and chest, the latter is not ideal for larger dudes.

Bronson

Fury
Z-Medica Belt Trauma Kit (BTK)

10931281_410080679149547_500884999399012610_n.jpg 10929000_410080689149546_6669098650856248238_n.jpg

The BTK allows you to effectively layer medical devices with the wallet design.

For the top portion I keep Hemorrage Control items - hemostatic gauze with medical gloves and a compression bandage.

For the bottom portion I keep a pair of Chest Seals.

The BTK comes with Quikclot LE. I plan to replace them with the military Quikclot item shortly after with a Class VIII order. The only difference is the military product has an X-Ray identifiable strip in it as an additional means of identification when extracting gauze from patients.

I replaced the SWAT-T with an H&H Mini Compression Bandage. I did this because with the BTK I also carry a dedicated TQ with a windlass and I don't need a medical device that performs the job of a TQ and a compression bandage albeit not as effectively as dedicated TQ's or compression bandages.

I have a HALO Chest Seal in it currently, but am going to try the H&H Wound Seal Kit as a potential replacement.

The BTK is just a tad large as a "wallet" and may protrude from a rear pants pocket depending on which type of pants I am wearing. I can bump it to an interior coat pocket as needed, but it's a little bit more difficult to access ambidextrously in that configuration.

This system doesn't provide for a dedicated TQ, so you will have to carry a TQ in another fashion if you require one. I typically either carry one in my back pocket or in a TMS Ankle TQ Holder (or both) when using the BTK.

Product Improvement Suggestions:

1) Consider A "Slick" Model

A purpose built design for EDC application as opposed to a duty belt would be Value Added and allow a smaller footprint for the carrier system.

I cut off the belt attachment on one of my BTK's which helps a bit, but may damage the BTK depending on your scalpel precision - I recommend an actual seam ripper however. I will be adding some Black 100MPH Tape to have it on hand as well as protect the BTK from further damage.

WayneF

I carried a BTK as pictured above for a short while. I found it to be a tad too large and became uncomfortable when seat as it is was the size of a George Constanza wallet.

I played around with packing my own pocket carry kits by teaming up various different products and using a vacuum sealer to shrink it all down. This worked well until the first time I left it in a hot vehicle and I always had concerns about ripping into the plastic with blooding hands.

I have since resorted to simply carrying a SWAT-T and pack of Z-Fold Quickclot in my back pocket. This is far from ideal on many fronts. The SWAT-T can be used a pressure bandage or a less than optimal TQ. But it is thin and easy to conceal. I have bounced around the idea of an ankle rig but I have found that a couple of items carried this way doesn't require much "dedication" as opposed to strapping something on.

Beyond this, there is a small kit stashed in the car, a full blow out kit in the Vertx bag that I leave the house with every day, and the girlfriend has been tasked with carrying a small kit in her purse as well. I figure if I can pay for all of the dates, she can handle cross loading some gear.

Ephraim R.

For personal IFAK I carry either Pocket DARK Mini or a ITS Tactical EDC IFAK.

I only carry this as I am not willing to carry more stuff. I understand the reasoning behind carrying a more full featured kit but I accept this risk in my current area/situation/etc. I prefer to run light. My main goal is to have the ability to immediately treat a GSW or laceration. My method to the madness is where I have a full IFAK in the vehicles. I just dont like carrying everything on my person. Same reason why I only carry 1 extra mag... but thats another discussion.

I dont advocate for everyone to just carry the bare min. Whatever you want to carry. In the end its what you are willing to carry and why.

Even with this kit, it gets left in the vehicle or at home a lot of the time. Im not willing to live tied to a full load out of kit. If its my time, its my time. If I have something to stop something, then I will. If Im on a long day out with my pack then I have a full set of everything. Just kicking it, no.

Once again it just does not fit my mold. Mick can carry all that and all that well concealed in his AO and he does it well. I applaud him for it. Its just not what I am willing to do with everything else I am usually taking care of with the family.

Last edited:

TomF

I keep some gear handy for me, my family and my dog. Other people's emergencies are not mine and my equipment is not selected to deal with their problems.

Day to day I have a SWAT-T and a pair of gloves folded into a wallet size in my back left pocket. It's a TQ, pressure dressing, splint material, etc. Maybe not perfect for any of those but functional for all and easily carried.

I keep a small zipper pouch from REI in my backpack which is almost always with me or in my vehicle. It has standard trauma items and a ziplock bag with snivel items. Vehicle has a small sling bag with more of the same.

Is anyone doing anything to mark the location of an off-body Ifak? Nothing that.screams look at me ,.steal my shit , but I like.playing the chance that if it was me that needed it , someone with a clue and some SA would notice the red zip pulls on the back of my laptop bag stood out a bit.
Like the Ifak patches and standardizing TQ location for those in uniform , wouldn't it be nice to know where to check if we happened across a like minded individual in need?

Unity-Trent

Amateur
Vendor
I have been working on a personal solution for EDC IFAK carry that I have been really happy with.

Its been a very minimalist kit... Essentially just a Cleer Pocket kit with RAT. Just a carriage method for it.

Cheeseman

Amateur
I've been carrying a Dark Angel medical Blue Line kit for several months the now. As you can see from the photo it's got a Celox rapid, H&H mini compression, Fox seals, Swat-t, and gloves. The nice thing about this kit is that it is packaged to be slim. This rides nicely in a cargo pocket and the nylon sleeve does a good job protecting the kit. Also with the tabs on this hehe open end, they stick out the top of most cargo pockets just enough to be able to grab and pull to remove from the pocket. It's not the smallest kit but if my attire won't support carrying this, I forgot this for a tq in the pocket, as a minimum. In my backpack I carry a full ifak so I have a little redundancy.

20161009_134602.jpg
20161009_134639.jpg