Duty TQ

FATAL

I currently carry a CAT in my cargo pocket for work. I have been looking into the Rev-med TX series of TQ's. With no first hand experience, they seem faster and easier to apply. Has anyone had experience with RevMed's TQ's and is it worth it to switch to one over the CAT?

Jdexter

Staff member
Not currently CoTCCC approved. I only allow officers to carry CoTCCC recommended equipment.

I got hands on this for the first time 2 days ago and am not a fan. It was almost impossible to put on my own upper limb. Then I had to ratchet crank the tension adjustment. Trying to put it on a female medic with smaller arms proved to be not possible in that the ratcheting system did not allow for me to get an appropriate amount of initial tension and unlike the CAT and SOFT it would not be a viable option for application on a child. Overall in the class comprised of EMS and LE it was not well liked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sreidy

Amateur
So Roland stated in a previous Modcast (since temporarily taken down) that that tourniquet is the issued tourniquet at his military unit, I would imagine their medical standards and testing protocol are pretty intensive. I took his Fight Club course last year and he was running that TQ on his stock as well. Additionally Kerry Davis of DARK Angel Medical made the point in a Gunfighter Cast podcast mentioned that the CoTCCC is in no hurry to test any other TQ's because the CAT and SOF-T because it meets the needs of the military and that just because at TQ is not CoTCCC approved does not mean it is not good to go in and of itself.

Jdexter

Staff member
So Roland stated in a previous Modcast (since temporarily taken down) that that tourniquet is the issued tourniquet at his military unit, I would imagine their medical standards and testing protocol are pretty intensive. I took his Fight Club course last year and he was running that TQ on his stock as well. Additionally Kerry Davis of DARK Angel Medical made the point in a Gunfighter Cast podcast mentioned that the CoTCCC is in no hurry to test any other TQ's because the CAT and SOF-T because it meets the needs of the military and that just because at TQ is not CoTCCC approved does not mean it is not good to go in and of itself.

Why hurry with something like this? There's no wheel to reinvent and from hands-on with a group of cops and Medics who don't train this stuff every day issues with application were identified. TQs are a KISS tool. Just because elite military units are using it doesn't mean Joe cop who receives initial training and may never get a refresher should be carrying it. Also by only allowing officers to carry CoTCCC approved items it prevents the YouTube clip of the month by the newest tactical snake oil salesman from being bought by individual officers and put on the street.

sreidy

Amateur
Why hurry with something like this? There's no wheel to reinvent and from hands-on with a group of cops and Medics who don't train this stuff every day issues with application were identified. TQs are a KISS tool. Just because elite military units are using it doesn't mean Joe cop who receives initial training and may never get a refresher should be carrying it. Also by only allowing officers to carry CoTCCC approved items it prevents the YouTube clip of the month by the newest tactical snake oil salesman from being bought by individual officers and put on the street.

I found that the Rev-Med is much easier and faster to apply both one handed or otherwise than the ether the CAT or the SOF-T. The CAT and the SOF-T are excellent TQs that I have many of across different kits and would happily recommend to anyone. I'm merely stating that just because the item isn't CoTCCC approved doesn't mean the item is junk, if you choose to only let officers carry CoTCCC items because it makes life easier for you awesome carry on. As too elite military units vs cops, it's a TQ were not talking about defusing a bomb the Rev-Med is no more complex than any standard windlass TQ honestly.

I run CAT's exclusively, for two reasons. One, it is the primary TQ Kerry and Co use in their DARK's, of which I have 2. I've trained extensively with it by virtue of Kerry's class (or more aptly, Ross') and also in my past as an EMT, and one handed manipulation isn't much of an issue, with the exception of the lower limbs. Without having hands on the Rev-Med, I can't say for certain, but I'm betting there would be the same inherent application issue there as well. The ratchet design looks interesting, I may grab one just to T&E for my own edification.