Duty gun: magwell or grip plug?

Do either the Zev or Agency magwells work with Vickers basepads? It would be a G19 with a 19 mag in the gun and 17 mags for reloads but also a good portion of my training mags are 19 sized.

Can't figure out how to edit my above post. Google shows Agency will work but the Zev wont without modification. Looking it also looks like the Zev would be the much more useful of the two of course.

David Mayeur

Do either the Zev or Agency magwells work with Vickers basepads? It would be a G19 with a 19 mag in the gun and 17 mags for reloads but also a good portion of my training mags are 19 sized.

They do not work with the ZEV Pro. Vickers pads are not a good choice for magwells. You would be better served with Glock Factory Extensions if you want to avoid high costs for proper magazine extensions.

I have used the Agency and RCS Freya magwells. IMO, they are not worth using. They add a good big of bulk for the small magwell opening that you actually get. The ZEV (and I believe the SLR) magwells have a lip on the front strap that aid your grip.

1544822790527.png

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
There are several good to great options for higher end metal magwells here. I’ve used a number of the Magpul ones so far and like them. Gen 3 with finger cutouts on the front of the grip are aesthetically displeasing as the leave a “hole” in the grip but function is not affected. I’ve had Gen 4’s fit a little short on the rear of the grip on a 17. All of my 19’s fit well. It’s very functional and very cheap. If you are not sure let me recommend this route. You will probably spend more money in snack food this week than this thing costs. Drink water at every meal this week and you will have saved enough to buy two. It’s very low profile yet very functional. Being made of polymer if looks like it becomes part of the gun. I’ve not had one move on carry or competition guns in over a years use. For CCW the low profile adds almost nothing to the guns size. This may factor if you are carrying your duty gun off duty. I just added one this week to a new duty G17. If you use the back straps, trimming to fit with a dremmel tool is child’s play. Buy with confidence if you want to test the waters. If you are not sure yet which metal magwel you want I say still buy the Magpul and run it until a decision is made. It’s too cheap not to. As for extensions on a 17, have you considered the 24rd factory mags? That may be the cheapest and most reliable option. I’ve had great success with the Magpul 21 rd mags although I’ve seen reports where others have not. I’ve used several exclusively since the debut with not a hiccup. I have 5 in the training rotation as well.

They do not work with the ZEV Pro. Vickers pads are not a good choice for magwells. You would be better served with Glock Factory Extensions if you want to avoid high costs for proper magazine extensions.

I have used the Agency and RCS Freya magwells. IMO, they are not worth using. They add a good big of bulk for the small magwell opening that you actually get. The ZEV (and I believe the SLR) magwells have a lip on the front strap that aid your grip.

How much is it preventing the mag from inserting? All my glock mags run them as I prefer them for reloads, especially over the OEM basepads. I'd like the Zev on my work gun but to transition all my mags back away from the Vickers pads to run the Zev seems like a pain.

Hari

We just got new 17's for our duty guns. I was going to put a Vicker's/Tangodown grip plug in but was informed I could put a magwell on if I wanted and could also put new basepads on my mags. Trying to decide what road to go down. Who's running what kind of magwells and what basepads on mags? I don't want a competition magwell, something lower profile. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Magpul Magwell Gen 4 17/22 on my duty 22 and love it. It’s not that they make mag changes faster, because they really don’t for me. But what they do, is provide a bumper for your grip-well/magwell for when you’re shoving mags in fast and furiously you don’t mar the frame. (Ever notice how thin a Gen 4.17 grip opening actually is? It’s paper thin...) that’s the advantage I see. Otherwise run a butt plug. Getting mud and stuff inside the void sucks

David Mayeur

How much is it preventing the mag from inserting? All my glock mags run them as I prefer them for reloads, especially over the OEM basepads. I'd like the Zev on my work gun but to transition all my mags back away from the Vickers pads to run the Zev seems like a pain.

Too much to warrant modifying them. If you're not willing to change out the base pads to extended base pads, do not use a magwell.

Paul053

Amateur
It doesn't take much to dremel my Vickers to work with my zev. Just see where the hangup is and start shaving down. first one takes the longest but once you figure out where to take material away it's quick.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Paul053

Amateur
Thanks for the explanation. I always tried to find pics comparing the pro to pro plus. Just curious though... I got tarens, but have moved to Dawson's, and I just moved the pin farther down the pad so that I doesn't interfere with the well. Then once I figure out the right height I then tighten the set screw.
I have been using the ZEV Pro Magwell for over a year now. I highly recommend it. I do NOT recommend the ZEV Pro Plus.

I have found the ZEV Pro magwell works with most magazine extensions available on the market, but certain extensions will hit the magwell when slammed into the gun. As an example, the TTI extensions using a pin to retain the extension on the magazine will hit the plug area of the magwell when inserted, if the pin is positioned higher. Falkor Velocity extensions will also hit the edges of the magwell. I have had both TTI and Falkor magazines stick in the magwell from being slammed in there. This is a reason I do not advocate competition magwells without magazine extensions. If the magazine gets stuck, you need to be able to rip it out.

As you can see in the photos below, the ZEV Pro is extremely generous for its small size when compared to the much larger ZEV Pro Plus. In the photo on the right, you can see where the marks from the extensions have hit the ZEV Pro. In the third photo, you can see where the same extensions have impacted on the ZEV Pro Plus, but have resulted in much deeper gouges.

32047185546_48d5d8f6cf_z.jpg
39276935785_d97f441998_z.jpg

View attachment 3206

I have used many different extensions, but I prefer the Henning Group Blue Line +4 Extension over all others. It is not as high of a capacity as the others, but it is much slimmer, includes "feet" to ensure a solid purchase to rip the mags out if needed, and it DOES NOT hit any magwell that I have tried it in.

From left to right: Glock 17 round factory magazine, Glock 17 round magazine with a +2 factory extension, Henning Group +4 Blue Line Extension, Falkor Defense +5 Velocity Extension, Taran Tactical +6 Extension.

I do not recommend the Falkor extensions only due to size and weight. They function very well.

View attachment 3207
View attachment 3208

David Mayeur

It doesn't take much to dremel my Vickers to work with my zev. Just see where the hangup is and start shaving down. first one takes the longest but once you figure out where to take material away it's quick.

I personally don't see the point of using non-extended base pads with a magwell.

Matt0311

I'm using the Magpul mag well in my duty G23, which I think is a gen 3. I like the way it provides a bit of a base and reference point for the bottom of hand. I haven't noticed a huge difference in reloading but it certainly doesn't hurt. I use either 15rd mags with Vickers base pads (which don't contact the bottom of the mag well) 13rd mags with TTI +4 extensions and I have a +0 on the way for when I want a lower profile.

My only real complaint is that it could be a little stiffer and the screw could be longer.